HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Alright Gentlemen....the moment you have all been waiting for.

I am looking into building a better sub. I have room for IB sub with the workshop on the other side of the wall.

I have a single 15" now and want to take it to the next level. I drop out below 40Hz and even my wife has noticed it and suggested since we have a common interest we should see how much it would cost.

Thinking about a pair of 18's, but open to suggestions. Especially specific models for subs and amps.

Cost will be the limiting factor as with any project, but not looking to half do it.

Is this it?

4 Ohm: http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib318/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-ep2000-europower-power-amp

I don't have the space for 4 without some major changes.

I think a pair of 18's is all I can hope for budget wise anyway.

Pair of IB318's Shipped: $585.54

Behringer EP2000 Shipped: $299.99

Equipment Total: $885.53

Other suggestions?

Is this it?

4 Ohm: http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib318/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-ep2000-europower-power-amp

I don't have the space for 4 without some major changes.

I think a pair of 18's is all I can hope for budget wise anyway.

Pair of IB318's Shipped: $585.54

Behringer EP2000 Shipped: $299.99

Equipment Total: $885.53

Other suggestions?

That's the one. I don't know your space but if you can fit a pair in, you could fit 4 in with a manifold. You can always make the manifold for 2 and add 2 down the road IF you need to and when funds are available. The 4000 isn't much more expensive than the 2000, I'd get it now just to be future proof.

To be clear, a manifold is just a box with one end open to the room. Put 2 drivers on opposing sides for now. The 2 adjacent surfaces can be used in the future.

How big is the space where the rear of the drivers will be?

That's the one. I don't know your space but if you can fit a pair in, you could fit 4 in with a manifold. You can always make the manifold for 2 and add 2 down the road IF you need to and when funds are available. The 4000 isn't much more expensive than the 2000, I'd get it now just to be future proof.

To be clear, a manifold is just a box with one end open to the room. Put 2 drivers on opposing sides for now. The 2 adjacent surfaces can be used in the future.

How big is the space where the rear of the drivers will be?

I can fit two with a manifold. The space is limited by wall space up front. Height is limited to just over 4ft in that area due to AC main ducts.

The room behind the wall is more than double the square footage of the HT.

The rear space is more than fine then.

I'll defer to you as to what will fit as I can't picture how a 2 driver manifold will work but not a 4. Too narrow? 4' seems tall enough. Like I said, you're there and I'm not. A 2 driver IB will have roughly the same output as a single 18 but it'll go much lower. You'll have usable output to single digits.

The space is about 2' wide, 4' tall, 4' deep. Rack on one side, AC unit on the other.

The room goes deeper than that, but would be in the way if it did.

I would love to hear feedback on IB subs from some folks. I have never heard an IB setup in person.

2 IB subs have the same dB as a single? I expected some loss, but not that much.

Should I be looking at a sealed over IB if limited to 2 subs?

We are almost 50/50 music and movies. My wife wants to feel the music in her chest.

I would love to hear feedback on IB subs from some folks. I have never heard an IB setup in person. 2 IB subs have the same dB as a single? I expected some loss, but not that much.

Not a lot of people have the chutzpah to cut a hole in their residence to install a subwoofer so they're not that common.

You're wasting the back wave from the driver which is normally used in a ported configuration. A 2 driver IB would have slightly less output than 2 sealed I would imagine. All subs are trade offs of some kind. You just need to build to your goal.

Should I be looking at a sealed over IB if limited to 2 subs?

If floor space isn't an issue, sealed isn't a bad way to go. You'll have slightly more output, slightly less bottom end and less floor space with 2 sealed. You may need a bigger amp as well depending on drivers.

The sub will be in the same location regardless. Either a sealed sub behind the wall like the one I have now or IB sub built in the same manner. I don't want anything else taking up floor space inside the HT. It is currently clean and uncluttered and I want to keep it like that. Sub is behind the 18"x24" grill cloth to the left of the rack in the corner.

RF-7ii_Panorama.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

• Moderators

Just found this thread, don't read much about HT.

Congratulations you have built one of the best looking rooms I have ever seen.

Very nice and looks very comfortable, the stone just pushed it over the top. FIRST CLASS !

I can imagine it was not cheap, but you have added a more to the value of the house even if were not used for a HT than you put into the room, Great addition. :emotion-19:

Just found this thread, don't read much about HT.

Congratulations you have built one of the best looking rooms I have ever seen.

Very nice and looks very comfortable, the stone just pushed it over the top. FIRST CLASS !

I can imagine it was not cheap, but you have added a more to the value of the house even if were not used for a HT than you put into the room, Great addition. :emotion-19:

Thanks!

I appreciate the complements. I love it when other come over and enjoy the room as much as I do.

Alright Gentlemen....the moment you have all been waiting for.

I am looking into building a better sub. I have room for IB sub with the workshop on the other side of the wall.

I have a single 15" now and want to take it to the next level. I drop out below 40Hz and even my wife has noticed it and suggested since we have a common interest we should see how much it would cost.

Thinking about a pair of 18's, but open to suggestions. Especially specific models for subs and amps.

Cost will be the limiting factor as with any project, but not looking to half do it.

You have skills and space to build a horn loaded Sub.

http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/Eminence_Horn_Rev_0.pdf

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

Edited by BE36
  • Like 1