M&K V1B

Hello everyone. I don't know if this is the proper forum for this or not. I have an M&K V1B sub that I absolutely love.The amp went out in it, and I was looking for advice at decent amps to replace it with. I would also look at getting a new speaker if need be.

I would love to repair this sub, it seems like such a good build originally, and I like the idea of updating it. Am I out of my mind, or should I just buy a new sub.

Guest David H

Take a look at Parts express, the Dayton 250 Watt or 500 Watt plate amp should be a reasonable replacement for the V1B. This will require box mods to install.

The Dayton Titanic 12 woofer would probably work nicely as well.

As I recall the V1b is dual voice coil, if that is the case, check both voice coils with an ohm meter to insure they are good, if all is well run the voice coils in parallel to the new amp.

Enjoy, Dave

I would weigh the value of the sub today and the repair cost versus what a new sub would cost.

Value of the sub today is probably 100 bucks, but I like "old" things. I enjoyed this sub musically, HT is a little lacking. I don't know what I will do yet. Might fix the v1B and buy another sub.

I have Chorus II's and looking for an academy currently on the garage sale section.

I saw you have the same setup, what subs do you recommend?

I have Chorus II's and looking for an academy currently on the garage sale section.

I saw you have the same setup, what subs do you recommend?

I went with the SVS PC13-Ultra because of the small footprint. It fits perfectly in the only place I can put a sub. You can repair the amp for your V1B and use it for 2-channel listening. Then buy an HT sub that digs deep for your HT. My SVS works good for both.

Guest David H

I went with the SVS PC13-Ultra because of the small footprint. It fits perfectly in the only place I can put a sub. You can repair the amp for your V1B and use it for 2-channel listening. Then buy an HT sub that digs deep for your HT. My SVS works good for both.

That sound like a good plan.

I was always very pleased with the looks and sound of my V1B.

Dave