1980 Cornwall Purchase

soleful247

So.. I was driving down the street with my wife minding our own business, and passed a garage sale. Slammed on the brakes and pulled over. And there they were.

Got out and asked the price. He says, "$300.. these are Klipsch."

I looked at my beautiful wife and told her we're buying them.

She says, "We already have speakers!"

The seller says, "Yeah, buy these and you can throw those away."

Funny.. actually, downright hilarious.. even considering the thought of throwing away a pair of La Scalas.

Long story short, we bought em. And here they are along with my 1981 La Scalas and 1981 Heresys.

Posted Image

• Like 3

congratulations on the good deal. Nice collection too. Now a pair if khorns and you are all set!

k-horns and Belles to round out the big 5

congrats, your sig needs updated

i'll take them scalas off your hands if you want to throw em away. they look to be in real nice condition

• Like 1

They sound amazing. I've never heard a pair before I got them. Actually, I never seen a pair in person before either, didnt realize how big the cabinets were..

They are all original.
K-77M
K-600 horns with K-55v drivers
K33e woofers and Type B crossovers

Get a hold of Bob or Michael Crites (or whoever you want) and update those old crossovers, you'll really be amazed! yes.gif

Bob and Michael's website ------> CLICK HERE

Dennie

• Like 1

nice!!! I've been on the hunt for a pair for a while now. I just missed out on a pair for $500, which I thought was a good deal but $300is amazing!! Anyways Im curiousto hear how you would compare the Lascalas and the Cornwalls to one another? I am somewhat torn between which of the two I'd prefer having never heard either myself but I like the big cabinet and woofer of the cornwall. Interested in your impression. Also if you are in the chicagoland area and want to sell the cornwalls....... well you know who to call.

Congrats again

nice!!! I've been on the hunt for a pair for a while now. I just missed out on a pair for $500, which I thought was a good deal but $300is amazing!! Anyways Im curiousto hear how you would compare the Lascalas and the Cornwalls to one another? I am somewhat torn between which of the two I'd prefer having never heard either myself but I like the big cabinet and woofer of the cornwall. Interested in your impression. Also if you are in the chicagoland area and want to sell the cornwalls....... well you know who to call.

Congrats again

I have both and am still torn between which I prefer more. I had the cornwalls first then found a deal on la scalas that I couldn't pass up. The deal I had with my wife was the la scalas were being auditioned and I would choose to keep either them or the cornwalls. It didn't work out that way. I couldn't get rid or either. I love them both. The cornwalls have a richness to them that is hard to describe, and the la scalas have that crazy good mid range. They are both awesome speakers.

• Like 1

Guest Teresa Wright

Very Nice Indeed!! I picked up a pair of '85 Cornwall II about a month ago. Not sure of the finish-tags are missing-anyway, they have the brown grills?? Can anyone tell me what finish came with the brown grills. Also, how do I get into them to check the components, doesn't look like the backs come off.

Sorry for the slight highjack, I just LOVE MY CORNWALLS!!!

Very Nice Indeed!! I picked up a pair of '85 Cornwall II about a month ago. Not sure of the finish-tags are missing-anyway, they have the brown grills?? Can anyone tell me what finish came with the brown grills. Also, how do I get into them to check the components, doesn't look like the backs come off. Sorry for the slight highjack, I just LOVE MY CORNWALLS!!!

Dunno what finish they are...but if they are Cornwall II, then you have to pull the drivers (woofer,midhorn,tweeter) from the front to access the inside of the cabinets.

• 7 years later...

NO WAYYYY!!! You got those Klipsch for $300?!! Each, right?

Wait, are we talking about the big Klipsch Cornwalls that can be driven with as little as 10 watts? The ones with a 300 watt capability, (not including headroom)? Frankly, back around 1980/83, I think Klipsch only made that one size Cornwall in three different finishes..

I think the newer Klipsch versions may come in several sizes but the ones that I only could dream about back in 1980, were big. I can't recall the exact dimensions but they were maybe 4 to 4.5 feet tall and in the 80's I think a pair went for around $3200. Again, I'm sketchy on those details because it's been a while but I know that a pair was outside my budget back then.

Then when I could eventually afford them, I didn't buy them because my livingroom (the only place in my house where I could fit my component system at the time), didn't have two walls that met at 90 degrees, in two locations consistent with stereo speaker placement. The Klipsch Cornwalls required that for them to properly phase the sound of the low frequencies generated by those huge woofers.

If they really are Klipsch and not one of the look-alike speakers that several no-name manufacturers were trying to confuse the consumers with back when Klipsch released them, then getting a pair for anything less than $1500/$2000 would be considered a great deal. If you got them for $300 each, you should consider yourself extremely lucky. If you got the PAIR for $300... well then, you won the lottery!

Rich