Speaker Cable Gauge, Length and Bananna Plugs???

RonW.

I have a similar situation. My cables are abotu 12' and 40'. Cut them to size, don't make them the same length.

I use this stuff:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/Mogami-W3103/5639/

11 awg which is much more than you need, but it does not coil up and it lays on the floor very nicely and follows your baseboards.

I buy bananna plugs off of ebay, Here is what I have used for years (and they still look new):

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534E12.html

I bought from ebay so don't know about the seller. Throw away the "nakamichi" outer part and use hear shrink to make a pretty wire.

instead of throwing away the part that says "Nakamichi", which I like, goes with my tape deck, you can simply use Acetone to remove the wording and keep those parts without using "hear shrink" to Jerry rig a pretty wire...

The aluminum barrel ends are too fat for the wire and look funny. I don't think that they look jerry rigged, but to each his own.

I made these 10ft cables today in about half an hour. Black techflexx over blue sheathing gives it a nice royal blue look with red accents. I used some nice panduit Cat6 cable; plenty of shielding and it lays really well without kinking and looking like crap. I'll probably just strip the ends and leave them unterminated when I go to use them.

speakerwire13.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

like I said, to each his own, I like the fact they are colour-coded...but, I do know this: ordered from that HONG KONG Site, never rec'd them in close to a month; ordered from the guy on uMay in Baton Rouge on Friday, Rec'd them yesterday...

THANK YOU for POINTING them out to me!!!

I have a similar situation. My cables are abotu 12' and 40'. Cut them to size, don't make them the same length.

I use this stuff:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/Mogami-W3103/5639/

11 awg which is much more than you need, but it does not coil up and it lays on the floor very nicely and follows your baseboards.

I buy bananna plugs off of ebay, Here is what I have used for years (and they still look new):

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0534E12.html

I bought from ebay so don't know about the seller. Throw away the "nakamichi" outer part and use hear shrink to make a pretty wire.

instead of throwing away the part that says "Nakamichi", which I like, goes with my tape deck, you can simply use Acetone to remove the wording and keep those parts without using "hear shrink" to Jerry rig a pretty wire...

The aluminum barrel ends are too fat for the wire and look funny. I don't think that they look jerry rigged, but to each his own.

About speaker lenght, I was talking to the guy who works w/ Terry Dewick the master McIntosh repair guy down in Tenn.First off he said Terry was so backlogged they wern't taking repairs for a while. Tom Haney the guy I was speaking to also said they were selling off their retail store and was getting out of the buiness altogether.I was asking about the Grado carts he was selling and at a great price at that.Then I asked him about speaker wire and the ragging debate over at the Polk site were they swear they would spend as much as they could for some speaker cable. He also happens to be long friends of Rodger Russel and his take on speaker wire. The advice Tom gave me always keep the lenghts the same .Use only oxygen free cable and the lowest gu possible and you will be fine .What he did say and I was an affender of this is never have a large coil of wire just laying around.It can cause an effect like a x-frm winding.He also said he prefered spade lugs over any other termination.

About speaker lenght, I was talking to the guy who works w/ Terry Dewick the master McIntosh repair guy down in Tenn.First off he said Terry was so backlogged they wern't taking repairs for a while. Tom Haney the guy I was speaking to also said they were selling off their retail store and was getting out of the buiness altogether.

Not to change subject or debate this statement, but I just talked with terry yesterday and he said nothing of the sort. He did say he was not taking anything for the month of July for personal time away, though he did mention him and Tom where getting older and medical problems were starting to kick in. Nothing serious I dont think as I would hate to spend rummors.

Looks like I better score some gear before they do.