Boston Marathon

kapsnb01

I admit these guys don't seem to fit the profile from what I've read so far--These fellas aren't Middle Eastern or White Extremists.

But, they are/were Muslim.

Exactly. Chechnya and close neighbor Dagestan have been very intense hotbeds of violence and anti-Russian terrorism based on Muslim beliefs and issues. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/how-chechnya-s-conflict-became-a-global-concern.html

Tamerlane scooted off to Russia, perhaps to that area, in 2012, and probably came back with training in assembling pressure cooker bombs. His pathetic younger brother went right along with it. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/how-chechnya-s-conflict-became-a-global-concern.html

I admit these guys don't seem to fit the profile from what I've read so far--These fellas aren't Middle Eastern or White Extremists.

The VAST amount of Muslims don't go on killing sprees just like the VAST amount of Christians don't either...That said, and the reason I brought up the Middle East is because when you look at our recent history over there, there's quite a few of them that blame 'Christians' for killing so many of their family members. That was one of the things that rang hollow when I heard we were "fighting them over there so we wouldn't have to fight them here." [:|]

The VAST amount of Muslims don't go on killing sprees just like the VAST amount of Christians don't either...That said, and the reason I brought up the Middle East is because when you look at our recent history over there, there's quite a few of them that blame 'Christians' for killing so many of their family members. That was one of the things that rang hollow when I heard we were "fighting them over there so we wouldn't have to fight them here." Indifferent

The difference is that the death of innocents we cause over there is "collateral" or due to at least some suspicion of a terrorist connection. The death they cause specifically targets innocents as a goal. Their radicals set out to exterminate everyone they can (except their own, of course). Ours don't. [:|]

• Sad 1

The difference is that the death of innocents we cause over there is "collateral" or due to at least some suspicion of a terrorist connection. The death they cause specifically targets innocents as a goal. Their radicals set out to exterminate everyone they can (except their own, of course). Ours don't. Indifferent

You can believe what you want living as an American comfortably in your house, but that is a distinction without a difference to the folks who've had family members killed and lives disrupted...To put the shoe on the other foot, look at the divides we have here politically but I guarantee you if a Foreign nation came to 'liberate" us from our tyrannical government (sic) we would unite--In fact we were hit on 9/11/2001 in response to us setting up bases in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War, and look at our retaliation. We didn't just go after the group that hit us but invaded another country that didn't. {Note: I don't wish to get too political and only used that as analogy to understand the mindset of people that may have impetus to harm us over here.}

The difference is that the death of innocents we cause over there is "collateral" or due to at least some suspicion of a terrorist connection. The death they cause specifically targets innocents as a goal. Their radicals set out to exterminate everyone they can (except their own, of course). Ours don't. Indifferent

I also want to throw this out there because the nature of Warfare has changed. NO ONE is going to be able to defeat us militarily without causing worldwide destruction and they sure aren't going to go toe-to-toe with us on the traditional battlefield--That said, Terrorism is their most effective tool. We may call foul, but imagine how the British must have felt when instead of standing up in a linear fashion to "fight like men" we started hiding behind trees. The object of War is to win and if my family or way of life were at stake I wouldn't play fairly. Also keep in mind that although some (most Americans at the time) thought we went into Iraq to liberate them--Most over there (and a considerable number in the US and among our allies )thought we were invading because of oil.

Again, I am not trying to get political but War is Hell and we are feeling the ramifications of it over here and none more so than our returning Vets--We definitely need to support them!

The object of War is to win and if my family or way of life were at stake I wouldn't play fairly.

How were these "Boston Terrorists" way of life at stake? They were living the American dream and in some instances at the expense of American taxpayers.

How were these "Boston Terrorists" way of life at stake? They were living the American dream and in some instances at the expense of American taxpayers.

I won't pretend to speak for them (or know all of the answers) but keep in mind so evidently were the hijackers of 9/11. They were used as pawns in what they saw as a religious battle and honestly quite a few folks feel that way here who want to respond back. I sure don't want to turn this into a Religious discussion but some over here view Islam as the enemy and Christians as the righteous--On the other side of the world that ideology is flipped and they are actually living in similar conditions as their (as well as Biblical) prophets which the only promise of Paradise is in the next life.

I am definitely not defending them but as a reference there is some here that think our world is bad and in the next life it would be better.

Heh. Yeh. As far as Christians go, thinking heaven is a better place than this...

... that may be true, but i don't know any who are trying to get a trip up for tonight. Stick out tongue

Well, think that through and you will come to the conclusion that quite a few are unfortunately getting ready for that trip tonight--In fact, my guess is that you've also comforted/advised some that want to head to that destination...

Sorry, man, but I can't get in the mind of, and appeciate, a person who'd randomly kill innocents for the sake of just killing innocents. You can explain away all you want, but it is what it is. If the IRS was levying and taking all my property and making my life hell, I wouldn't go to your local school and set off a bomb to kill all the kids. But of course, if I did, I am sure you could appeciate where I was coming from.

• Confused 1

Sorry, man, but I can't get in the mind of, and appeciate, a person who'd randomly kill innocents for the sake of just killing innocents....

I don't appreciate them one bit and you categorizing it that way means you missed the point. They also didn't randomly kill innocents--They purposefully killed innocents and your example using the IRS and yourself speaks more about you than the Boston Bombing. For the record, if you did do what you suggested above I really wouldn't appreciate or understand where you were coming from. I actually think the reality of those situations is that the person kills themselves and yes, I too think that is sad and could understand being despondent over that.

I also feel you've made this needlessly personal so given they have in custody one of the perps and the other is dead, this will be my last word in this thread except to say I am glad it was a success getting those bastards and I do feel bad for those that died and wish godspeed to those recovering in Boston.

Sorry, man, but I can't get in the mind of, and appeciate, a person who'd randomly kill innocents for the sake of just killing innocents....

"...except to say I am glad it was a success getting those bastards and I do feel bad for those that died and wish godspeed to those recovering in Boston."

Yes sir, indeed!!! Now I'll have a drink to that.

You can believe what you want living as an American comfortably in your house, but that is a distinction without a difference to the folks who've had family members killed and lives disrupted...To put the shoe on the other foot, look at the divides we have here politically but I guarantee you if a Foreign nation came to 'liberate" us from our tyrannical government (sic) we would unite--In fact we were hit on 9/11/2001 in response to us setting up bases in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War, and look at our retaliation. We didn't just go after the group that hit us but invaded another country that didn't. {Note: I don't wish to get too political and only used that as analogy to understand the mindset of people that may have impetus to harm us over here.}

I hear you, but the above sure looked like a half-excuse for anyone seriously aggrieved by our government who doesn't live comfortably in his American house. I was saying if they wanted to take out a general or a colonel or a few privates, that's what war is. But when they turn to pressure cookers at marathons and civilian planes into civilian buildings, that's not fathomable.

The FBI said the guy was singing like a song bird till the justice department shut them down.They also say the guys no other connections, really.......how did they finance their lives?

Edit: it appears once the FBI filed charges you only have so long to bring the guy before a judge(or visa versa) and read rights.