K402 Fact Sheet

mikebse2a3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

This is a good compilation that should answer the questions "why K-402?" and "what makes the K-402 so special?". Roy's discussion on Constant Coverage vs. Constant Directivity is clear here and explains some concepts that most people miss, especially keeping bandpassed acoustic energy off the walls in small rooms. Many folks here did not believe some statements made elsewhere that the Jubilee with K-402 is actually better in small rooms than virtually any other type of loudspeaker. This discussion addresses that subject for all to see.

Chris

• Moderators

Well done, some real facts on why and how , this has been needed for a long time. No one wanted to try to go just by memory and take a chance on misquoting or just getting it wrong.

The only thing I remembered positively was how much I liked the K402, which was the easy part.

Thanks Mike2bse2a3

That is only half the facts,,,HF driver compliment is the other,,,It was found that the P Audio driver and its EQ did,nt sound that good to me,,After my suggesting a better driver to Roy,,,The TAD TD-4002 was found to be even better,,(also needed some EQ) JBL this year introduced its "IMAGE CONTROL horn and D2 HF driver with DUAL diaphrams. In there new M2 Master Reference Moniter,,,Now raising the bar even higher in bandwidth extension,,

Yes, I found the new JBL horns and drivers. The new dual diaphragm driver is a lot more interesting to me than the horn, which is small compared to a K402 and has mumps similar to other small Klipsch horns. It's probably an improvement for JBL. However, none of this has anything to do with this thread other than to say there have been several new drivers intorduced since Roy designed the K402 horn and since Klipsch has sold systems with K69 and 1132 and 1133. This is a very good thing!

In fact I have a couple of pairs of K402s and have been experimenting with some of these different drivers, and have a couple more to try. It's exciting that there are more choices now as time has gone on.

Mike, thanks for posting this info. It answers a few questions about why someone might prefer the sound of a K402 over the older exponential horns or even a pure tractrix or conical horn.