2-Channel Audio?

Sancho Panza

NOT, I say again, NOT trying to start a fight here, this is a legit question...I'll start with a statement, then follow with a question...

to me, Stereo was great, until they came up with Quadrophonic...now I want to listen with 7.1, or more...

why should I listeN with only 2, or 2.1? or point me toward a thread(s)...

Thank you

why should I listen with only 2, or 2.1? or point me toward a thread(s)...

I believe that is the rationale why this thread exists: The Multi-Channel Music Review Thread. Feel free to contribute.

Also feel free to frequent the Home Theater thread for folks with similar interests to yours: my view is "to each, his/her own". I have two channel recordings that are really outstanding, and also multi-channel ones also in that category.

As far as "how many surround channels?", I don't recall seeing a thread on this subject on the K-forums, but I'm sure that there is one somewhere on the web.

Chris

I think its pretty simple really. How many concerts have you been to where the music is coming from behind you?

I'm an old school guy. I started listening to music in the late 60's/early 70's. Back then music was played back in 2 channels. Analog (radio, records and tapes) was all that was available to you, and its what my ears got used to. I like the convenience of popping in a cd in my car, or hooking up my ipod, but when I am at home I only listend to vinyl, and only in 2-ch. When the system has great synergy it is absolutely magical!

Mike

I think its pretty simple really. How many concerts have you been to where the music is coming from behind you?

All of them, including outdoor concerts except then the acoustic reflections are usually much lower than in an enclosed auditorium. And have you never been to a concert where musicians enter from the sides or back of the auditorium (i.e., antiphonal). Cathedral pipe organ performances are also often antiphonal. I just bought a BD of Benjamin Britton's "War Requiem" that has antiphonal choirs, and another BD of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion with multiple choir locations.

Many such examples exist in my music collection presently.

Chris

• Moderators

2.0 or 2.1 is just as impressive or more as 7.1 when done well. imo

Same room, my 2.1 is much better speakers than the 6.1 in the same space, but it's two different animals. To me it's how you want to hear it, surround sound or straight music, both are good but a big difference in presentation.

To me when I say straight music I hear 90+% of the music from where the stage would be with live music.

Just another opinion, this could be affected by 2 ch being much better than ht setup ?

Sancho,

Yeh. Someone else mentioned it, above, but i think it's because we usually watch/hear the live musical performance in front of us.

Another point about klipsch heritage is that the sound is often described as 'sounding live' and that's my own experience of the sound.

It can be fun to listen to music 'club style' in a room with music coming from everywhere or in the case of HT 5.1 (and more) to have the capability to actually hear bullets whizzing through the room. There is some genuine good fun there.

Other than that, my take, is sort of old school. It takes quite a bit of work to get two channel or 2.1 sounding right. For me, that's enough.

All of them, including outdoor concerts except then the acoustic reflections are usually much lower than in an enclosed auditorium. And have you never been to a concert where musicians enter from the sides or back of the auditorium (i.e., antiphonal). Cathedral pipe organ performances are also often antiphonal. I just bought a BD of Benjamin Britton's "War Requiem" that has antiphonal choirs, and another BD of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion with multiple choir locations.

Many such examples exist in my music collection presently.

Chris

Chris,

You and I seem to have a differing opinion on most things audio. [;)]

I'll agree that I guess I can hear some sounds that are not coming directly in front of me, but for the most part the whole audio/visual thing is taking place directly in front of me. Having said that, I too enjoy 5.1 concerts on DVD/Blu-Ray, and am very impressed with the hi-res formats (especially DVD-Audio thru the 6 channel analog inputs/outputs), but I still prefer listing to vinyl in 2-channel over all of the other formats. Of course ymmv...

Mike

my take on this is as follows...if the music was recorded and/or mixed down in stereo than I want to hear it played back that way. if the recording and/or mix down was multichannel than I am happy to hear it reproduced in such a system. so it comes down to how it was recorded and mixed down for me. regards, tony

Just grab a tube amp with a powered sub and a 300 disc carasel full of your favs press repeat sitback and enjoy my freind. It dont matter if you quit your job before or after cause the music never stops

NOT, I say again, NOT trying to start a fight here, this is a legit question...I'll start with a statement, then follow with a question...

to me, Stereo was great, until they came up with Quadrophonic...now I want to listen with 7.1, or more...

why should I listeN with only 2, or 2.1? or point me toward a thread(s)...

Thank you