power supply/line conditioner recommendations...

Schu

I did some extensive comparisons of power conditioners a couple years ago comparing almost every major model and tried a few out with my system as well. I compared models priced up to $1,000 and even one Furman which sold for well over $2,000 which I could have bought for only about $800 new on a special sale.

My favorite of all was the Belkin PF-60, it compares to and beats the highest priced models yet it is an exceptional bargain. It has very good filters for sound and video quality, very good surge protection with one of the highest joule ratings, great monitoring, very versatile trigger and delay controls, exceptional isolation with 6 isolated banks separating connected components this is a very good feature and much better than most models which many have only 2 or 3 isolated banks, also great high current outlets which don't restrict my 2 amps. Best of all my system sounds its best connected through it. The quality and looks of the PF-60 is also very nice.

Personally I highly recommend the PF-60.

I paid a little over $200 for mine, it originally was priced at $749 msrp then went down to $549 msrp but you can normally find it for about $200 and occasionally I have seen sales for around $130 or so. A quick look and this link was one of the best current prices I saw. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3956841

Here is a pic of mine with my amps.

Posted Image

I had a fancy unit that did nothing with our good power supply in Las Vegas (we have very new infrastructure compares to most areas). PS Audio Premiere was the unit.

I sold it and broke out my Monster HT3500 that was in storage. Love the Monster, it gives me surge protection and 1 button to turn on (and off) most of the components.

Surge protectors will hinder the performance of sound quality. Adding to that i have not found power conditioners improve sound, there are regulators within most audio equipment that compensate for voltage droop, unless you have some worldly shocking unstable house power.

Surge protectors will hinder the performance of sound quality. Adding to that i have not found power conditioners improve sound, there are regulators within most audio equipment that compensate for voltage droop, unless you have some worldly shocking unstable house power.

True many will hinder sound quality but a good power conditioner won't hinder performance or limit power and good noise filtering and isolation from other components can help improve sound quality by protecting from interference and electrical noise as well as protect and add longevity to your system components.

As I said before my system sounds its best plugged into my PF-60 but I did try out many other power conditioners which did limit power and poorly effected sound quality. I tried a high end power strip which limited performance as well, also the worst for sound quality are UPS battery type backup systems.

Yep that sounds all correct, i always feel its a money gamble as there are so many variables for there to be positive improvement. Poor mains supply is very rare, most of the time its due to poor wiring in the house rather than direct issues with the power source stations. That said, most good quality audio equipment's are power conditioners themselves, using regulation in many forms can create a wide range of compensation to ensure absolute steady power supply. So power conditioners are not IMO at all beneficial.

Surge protection i believe is not completely useful either, as i understand it any real situation with lightning strikes will not be prevented with any kind of integrated power surge protection/ conditioner unit. As i have read the surge acts too fast for units to comprehend and prevent damage, some manufacturers don't even claim protection against such things as they are aware from experience that it's not the case.

I have been reading about RFI/EMI interference from mains and from my understanding does make sense, though from the coloration and distortions added from conditioner filtering i think that a well designed PSU system that isolates polluted mains is a much better result. Preventing a disease is much better than a cure.