Did PWK start out anything like this?

muel

Whoops... the teacher won't allow any amplification other than from the headphone jack of a mp3 player or such other player. Guess we won't have to wheel in the Pioneer SX-1250 Smile She will probably just use the jack on the cell phone.

How many ohms do you think I should have her shoot for on that coil for her to get the most volume ?

Anything under 20 ohms should get enough power from the headphone amplifier, but I'd keep it above 8 as a minimum. Btw, if you want more volume, then you should look at adding steel around the winding toincrease the magnetic flux on the wire - the flux lines matter a lot too. You should also make sure the inductance is low - figure 0.1mH max if you want more HF.

the teacher won't allow any amplification other than from the headphone jack of a mp3 player or such other player.

Whose project is it anyway?

Bruce

This really made me laugh, I remembered we (Dad and I) wanted to build a car for a soapbox derby. Needless to say it ended up where my Dad and his friends discussed how and what then proceeded to build it. I did not touch one piece of lumber or nail.^^ Kids and their toys!!

Have fun with the project.

the teacher won't allow any amplification other than from the headphone jack of a mp3 player or such other player.

Bruce

The teacher makes the assignment and then tries to micro-manage the project.

Be a renegade and push for high efficiency and minimal power requirements.

The teacher makes the assignment and then tries to micro-manage the project.

Kinda what I was thinking. There should be set rules for what is allowed on projects.

There is the extreme where the parents end up doing the projects, but that is another story, and one which many of us have faced.

Bruce

Bruce

This really made me laugh, I remembered we (Dad and I) wanted to build a car for a soapbox derby. Needless to say it ended up where my Dad and his friends discussed how and what then proceeded to build it. I did not touch one piece of lumber or nail.^^ Kids and their toys!!

Have fun with the project.

Heh heh! I can be hard to keep your hands off but I remember building pinewood derbys with Dad as a kid. I didn't do much and the wheels were off limits. Dad must have know what he was doing because they won every time. Kind of a hollow victory but still fun and it was time with Dad.

The science teacher hasn't done this project before so I suppose she is learning as she goes. She might find a problem if she hears from any parents about blown cell phones or MP3 players. I think this is a great project that a kid could take as far as they want and learn things way beyond the teachers' intentions.

I think the kid done good!

She tested different gauges of magnet wire and went with 30 gauge. She also experimented with different lengths and she learned to use the multimeter. Finally settled on about 18 feet of magnet wire which got it to 2.4 ohms and was the loudest she tried. Any longer was just going to be too unweildy to handle. The assignment was for ONE speaker but she wanted stereo.

post-38437-1381985351247_thumb.jpg

Congrats! I know it's a special thing to see how our kids succeed in life. [Y]

Now on to business. I want a pair of these. Have you settled on finishes? Have you decided on a tweeter setup? I think I can build a xo for the 2-way speaker.