Which Valve Is Best For Hersey's

ninanina

What JBryan said. The EL84, either single ended (few watts) or push-pull (a handful of watts more over single-ended), is an exceptional tube -- for me. As he said, it has much of the air and ambience of the 45, 2a3, 300b big triodes, and can be extremely dynamic and engaging -- at a much lower cost than the triodes. I have just about completed a complete overhaul of the Leak ST20, and was very surprised at the amount of energy and clarity of the EL84 in that circuit. Extremely satisfactory with Heresies, but every personal preference in this hobby is merely that- a personal preference. Trust YOUR ears! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice wood trim on that! The 12AX7 and EL84 are nice together. Edit: and refreshing to see someone else who uses run-of-mill cables like me!

Actually, the Magnavox 8600 series amplifier use a 6EU7...a six volt 12AX7 I suppose...

I swap amplifiers so much that the subtle differences in cables is rather pointless.

The 12Ax7 and EL84 still sound great together and are commonly seen on the same amp! :) Just kinda referring to that driver as a common choice in both PP and SE outputs using EL84s. I have a tiny 4 watt single ended EL 84 amp that sounded huge with Klipschorns, and continues to sound the same...almost...with La Scalas.

I have an urge to try a 300b with the Heresy's

I did have a trial at home of a 300b many years ago and found it very sweet but I didn't have the Heresy's then

As I have said it is impossible for me to trial any tube amps at home now as there are no dealers locally that stock anything apart from Naim & Audiolab etc etc

Single-ended 300Bs with Heresies is very, very good combination! I've also used 2a3s and 45s with Heresies, and the 300B is really a preference (which is only that, a personal preference -- like every single comment regarding a passive or active part). To your own ears be true!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a build thread now...

Stancor PS xformer pinched from a Heathkit SE integrated 6BQ5 amplifier

Chassis plate was fabricated and acquired at a boat trailer manufacturer I worked at, except the drilled holes.

The base is brazillian cherry 3-3/4" (or 4") hardwood flooring from when I worked with a friend doing hardwood floors.

Sockets and tag strips pinched from oscilloscopes. The project isn't without it's little flaws, however...

post-6643-13819854511092_thumb.jpg

Have to start calling Mike "Mr. Wizard" - always making something out of nothing. Wow.

I like a little power with Heresys, and I've always liked the EL-34 in Ultralinear. I'd be hunting down a used set of Quicksilver monoblocks.

Have to start calling Mike "Mr. Wizard" - always making something out of nothing. Wow.

I like a little power with Heresys, and I've always liked the EL-34 in Ultralinear. I'd be hunting down a used set of Quicksilver monoblocks.

In my experiences, it always seems to take a little more power to run smaller loudspeaker enclosures, such as bookshelf type.

Single-ended EL-84 can get larger speakers such as Cornwalls to good moderate levels in a smaller room. And if you can tolerate the lack of power, you can get into the single-ended sound. (if one is into that sort of thing)

While not near the wattage of PP UL EL-34, PP EL-84 can have some grunt, depending on the amp/circuit/topology.