KLF-20 vs Chorus II

mcp

Seeking opinions...been looking for an upgrade to my KG4s and there are a pair of KLF 20's and Chorus II's available locally. KLF-20's have no grilles but are 1/2 the price of the Chorus IIs which are mint clear oak with crites titanium diaphrams...thoughts?

Seeking opinions.

IMO, both the KLF-20's and Chorus II's are a huge step above the KG4's. I think the KG4's are perfect for a secondary 2-channel rig but no where near as anchoring a system the way the KLF's and Chorus II's can. If possible, demo both and then decide. The Chorus II's will provide BIG sound and KLF's more punchy and fast with a much larger presense than the KG4's.

Bill

Seeking opinions.

IMO, both the KLF-20's and Chorus II's are a huge step above the KG4's. I think the KG4's are perfect for a secondary 2-channel rig but no where near as anchoring a system the way the KLF's and Chorus II's can. If possible, demo both and then decide. The Chorus II's will provide BIG sound and KLF's more punchy and fast with a much larger presense than the KG4's.

Bill

I agree...I guess what I was getting at - and probably didn't word very well - is more of a price/value question...KLF-20s for $325 vs. Chorus IIs at $650...

Chorus IIs at $650...

That's a good price for the Chorus II's. Bill is correct on his assessment of the speakers. I have always liked the sound of my Chorus II's. I have to agree to listen to them and decide. Keep in mind that both speakers need to have the caps replaced.

Both are great speakers. The KLFs are a little tighter sounding but the room positioning will be the ultimate factor in the bottom end response. The KLFs will go deeper also.

That said, as said earlier, 325 for KLFs that are not trashed is a serious no brainer. You will be happy with either but you can't even buy the woofers for KLF-20s for 325. Chorus IIs would need to be in excellent shape for 650.

Here are the issues with the KLF-20s:

1. No grilles 2. Grill holes have been filled in. 3. Top of one speaker needs to be repainted black.

Other than that, all drivers are excellent and no seam damage on the cabinets.

Correction: price is $350.

I say if you can swing it, get both and get a real good idea of the sound each set provides. If you like the KLF-20's better, and the Chorus II's are in excellent condition I don't think you'll have any trouble whatsoever getting your money back, maybe even a little extra. Same goes for the 20's.

Chorus IIs would need to be in excellent shape for 650.

lmao

Does this mean some people pay too much or is it maybe don't live where there is any reasonable deals readily available? It is sad when people charge what the market will bear in this hobby, butt..... [:'(] Sounds like mcp can and should take advantage.[:D]

I have bought and sold enough (a lot of) Klipsch speakers to know where prices. I've even bought pristine La Scalas for $550 and k-horns for $675 with expensive cabling, so there are reasonable deals out there.

The major difference between these two will be in the mid-bass area. The Chorus will sound a little more full (also more slow), KLF-20 sounding not as full but tighter with more bass extention. A lot of folks like the fuller sound but for the difference in price (if you are worried about keeping some extra cash) the klf's can be made to sound similar by dropping the mid / treble down a tad with a few $ investment in resistors to create an lpad.

But again, you need to listen to both.

I have owned both and gave away the 20s, sold the CIIs. In my experience the bass in the CIIs was tighter than the 20s but need some power behind them. The 20s gave me ear pain at moderate volumes soon after fireing them up. The 20s are considered a great speaker just not my expereince. There is nothing on the market like the CIIs today!

I have owned both and gave away the 20s, sold the CIIs. In my experience the bass in the CIIs was tighter than the 20s but need some power behind them. The 20s gave me ear pain at moderate volumes soon after fireing them up. The 20s are considered a great speaker just not my expereince. There is nothing on the market like the CIIs today!

Most will depend on the room. The 20s will require a very high current, high dampening factor amp to make them come alive in the bass. The room and an lpad on the 20s will make them very flexible for the price. Really can't go wrong with either but the room interaction and positioning is going to be key with either.