If I end up with 8 Heresy's...

wlg235

I've got a For Sale thread in the Garage section where I'm looking to thin out the newly expanded herd of Heresy's. This picture below shows how the right side of the room sits right now with the dark cabinet I being pulled to a position behind my chair for movies. But I'm considering a configuration that might resemble this as well as mounting a pair of RS-3's as High Fronts. My question regarding the RS-3's is how high off the floor should they be mounted, and how wide in reference to my main front speakers? This of course would be worst case scenario where I end up holding on to the four pair of Heresy's (3 I's and 1 II's) [^o)]

7-81_zps4f9c0c6d.jpg

Thanks,

Walt

I don't think that the RS-3's would be ideal as front heights. In fact many have stated this already, at times when this question pops up. Their dual side tweeters dispersion is better suited for use as sides. You want the tweeter firing forward rather than to the sides. I'd try looking for something along the lines of RB-3's, RB-5's, RB-61's, RB-81's, RB-75's for use as front heights. Good luck :)

I don't think that the RS-3's would be ideal as front heights

The Front Height speakers are for ambience and matrix sounds. They do not compete with the mains. The will produce sounds like rain, wind, booms, planes, directional clues, ect. and just to make the soundstage more vertical. With a RFH and LFH speaker, the design of the speaker is not a problem I tried the VB 15 bookshelf and the vs 14's surrounds as front height, very little difference if any. I ran the VS 14's 50/200 watts with the RF 7 and they functioned as well as the RS 35's 125/500 watts even at Reference level being driven by a 200 watt Yamaha M 70 amp. They also are easier to mount and look nice. I like the RS 35's as height speakers and better WAF if it is not a dedicated theater. The RS 35's have no problem being heard with the RF 7's and RC64.

The thing to remember is the height channel are not like surrounds with discrete info. They are more subtle. Try them with some music in DDPLIIz or if you have the movie Pearl Harbor. Height channels turn a 5.1 system to a glorified 5.1 system with a greater sound stage. Maybe put those heresey on a 12-18 in stand.

The thing to remember is the height channel are not like surrounds with discrete info. They are more subtle. Try them with some music in DDPLIIz or if you have the movie Pearl Harbor. Height channels turn a 5.1 system to a glorified 5.1 system with a greater sound stage. Maybe put those heresey on a 12-18 in stand.

Nice set-up! Thanks for the info on the non discrete height channel. I've actually come across a few blu ray rentals that default to 7.1 DTS and wondered if that routed the additional channels to wide/high/rear speakers. Not having those speakers avilable...I never researched it further. The surounds and back speakers are all about 12" off the floor...but that was more to get the horns up to ear level. I've been kind of partial to keeping the fronts on the floor for bass response, since all of my music listening is in two channel with no sub. Which I have to say...has sounded surprising better than I would have antisipated from a pair of 1981 Heresy I's that aren't known for their outstanding low end. Though I suppose the receiver would have something to do with that as well (Pioneer SC-65)... [;)]

What could expected sound wise by getting them off the floor?

Thanks,

Walt

I suppose the receiver would have something to do with that as well (Pioneer SC-65)... Wink

What could expected sound wise by getting them off the floor?

The Pioneer Elite SC 65 is a great avr to build a system around! Heck, I am a Pioneer man myself. Now cutting to the quick, I think the directivity and dispersion in relation to the listner of the will improve with the speaker higher off the ground. It easy to experiment before you buy or DYI something.

.BD are usually 7.1 and there is info for the SB speakers. This was originally matrix from the side surrounds and came in the Dolby digital EX or DTS-EX which were 6.1. FH channel matrix sound from the stereo signal to the L/R speaker. This is one reason that the FH speakers don't compete with the mains speakers. DDPLIIx and DDPLIIZ work well with TV programs or DVD. I usually let the the avr pick the format for BD.

All movies have around 97% of all the info in the Front R/L channels. This way, when you watch regular TV without a surround system, people don't feel like they are missing part of the movie and have a complete experience

I want at least 3 more sets of Heresies will split a pair between my system and the one for the wife & twins for CENTER channel...

want Heresy II, Walnut with CANE grilles with flat risers, another Heresy II, raw birch with slant risers with Black grilles (will stain to my liking) HaF and 1 set of Heresy III Walnut Oiled...