Should I just upgrade my receiver, or do I also need amp?

Salvador

Ok, I dont think I am getting the best out of my speakers. I have RF52II RC62II and RS42II. I am using entry level Yamaha RX-V371. Should I just upgrade receiver? Need something good and cheap with pre outs for if and when I do get an amp. What do you recomend? I was about to go hit up my connection at Magnolia for an amp, Oppo 103 and a receiver. But now Im thinking maybe I can wait for the amp? Will an upgraded receiver be good enough to handle my system? I want something where I can tell a difference. Any advice will help. Thank you all in advance. Oh and if anybody needs some Magnolia product I can get good deals for you. You have to be in the LA area and 2 things that cant be reduced is Oppo and Panamax, sorry.

Ok, I dont think I am getting the best out of my speakers. I have RF52II RC62II and RS42II. I am using entry level Yamaha RX-V371. Should I just upgrade receiver?

What are your primary needs? Do you want all the modern bells and whistles or is sound quality(both music and HT) your top qualifications. Do you need the receiver to do 3D, 4K in future, top auto EQ?

Need something good and cheap with pre outs for if and when I do get an amp.

Most importantly, what is your realistic budget for this receiver?

Will an upgraded receiver be good enough to handle my system?

Yes, most definitely.

I want something where I can tell a difference.

Stepping up from the RX-V371, you should be able to find something that will be a noticeable difference.

Bill

The AVR you are currently using is what I would call an entry AVR. I would step up to a Pioneer SC-65, SC-1522k or a Onkyo NR818. These are the three receivers I am currently considering. I started with a Pioneer 1022k and didn't like the sound so I upgraded to the SC-35 and it made a HUGE difference with the I.C.E. amps and really woke my system up. I later added a Emotiva XPA-5 and noticed more "oomph" but it wasn't a night and day difference like going from an entry receiver to a "top shelf" receiver. What is your budget?

I would like as many bells and whistles as possible. I will be getting Oppo 103 and do play SACD and dvd audio. My understanding is that most modern receivers do 4K and 3d which I would like to have I do use 3d now rarely but I do. As far as my budget 1300.. My buddy ie recomending the Marantz AV7701, I really prefer Yamaha.. I think the Marantz is $1700 but I can get it for 1500 out the door..

I later added a Emotiva XPA-5 and noticed more "oomph" but it wasn't a night and day difference like going from an entry receiver to a "top shelf" receiver

Thats actually the amp I was considering even though I cant get it at magnolia. People here love them and I think its a very good price.

I would like as many bells and whistles as possible. I will be getting Oppo 103 and do play SACD and dvd audio. My understanding is that most modern receivers do 4K and 3d which I would like to have I do use 3d now rarely but I do. As far as my budget 1300.. My buddy ie recomending the Marantz AV7701, I really prefer Yamaha.. I think the Marantz is $1700 but I can get it for 1500 out the door..

You will be hard pressed to find a receiver with more modern features, more powerful, and better priced than this flagship Onkyo.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR5009/Onkyo-TX-NR5009-THX-Ultra2-Plus-3-D-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

This thing is not lacking any features that is offered today. Top Audyssey MultEQ XT32, top shelf DAC's, huge power supply, networking capabilities, etc., etc. etc.

Bill

I would like as many bells and whistles as possible. As far as my budget 1300. I really prefer Yamaha..

Here's one that fits what you're looking for. Except XLR (sorry was typing when you posted that !...lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+AVENTAGE+1260W+9.2-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/5036576.p?id=1218601982401&skuId=5036576

• Moderators

Here's one that fits what you're looking for. Except XLR (sorry was typing when you posted that !...lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+AVENTAGE+1260W+9.2-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/5036576.p?id=1218601982401&skuId=5036576

I really enjoyed my Yamaha RX-V1800 but although it claimed 130 x 7, it benched 55 w/ch with all 7 channels driven. I wonder if the Adventage will do the same when you add 9 speakers to the mix.

Ok, I dont think I am getting the best out of my speakers

A good avr will carry you a long way. First figure out what look you like, separates or simple and multipurpose like an avr. I like the avr/amp combo. An amp will last for years. When it comes to avrs, spend a little money and not have any regrets. As you can see, people do a lot of upgrading: it is cheaper to cry once. A lot of this hobby is also the visual apeal of the system in addition to the SQ. I can think of a few things that I did not want to spend much money on and within 3-4 months, I was looking for something else, which mean that I could have afford better in the first place, lol.