The Bradford Baffle

bracurrie

Many years ago in a galaxy far far away, no, no I really mean New York City in the late forties or early fifties there was a speaker company that introduced a killer audiophile technology for speakers and called it the Bradford Baffle. It was wildly popular with the, what became, the "silver speaker wire in plastic tube is better" crowd.[:-*]

My middle name is Bradford and because of that someone gave me a single driver speaker with an full range Altec in it and this Bradford Baffle in the back of the enclosure. It was in bad shape but I recovered the baffle as a curiosity. But then in a dream it came to me that the Bradford Baffle was a very special audiophile technology that should be incorporated in a state of the art speaker enclosure with modern drivers and a custom passive crossover. But alas I awoke and it was, after all, a figment of my imagination. An active crossover would really be best.

Anyway its a piece of audio marketing history. Anyone remember the Bradford Baffle?

post-48022-13819853427418_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting. That's interesting and never has been up on my radar. Looking at the pic was wondering what in the heck that is.

did a little browsing and found a link to a 2 page pdf on the BB. actually makes a case to not be limited to a folded horn stuck in a corner!

this made me smile!

http://ebookbrowse.com/bradford-perfect-baffle-speaker-enclosure-pdf-d34080964

would love to hear it!

Thanks for posting. That's interesting and never has been up on my radar. Looking at the pic was wondering what in the heck that is.

did a little browsing and found a link to a 2 page pdf on the BB. actually makes a case to not be limited to a folded horn stuck in a corner!

this made me smile!

http://ebookbrowse.com/bradford-perfect-baffle-speaker-enclosure-pdf-d34080964

would love to hear it!

The pdf was of a brochure that was the speaker that my baffle came from. It was a simple door on a hinge. The wood was shaped like a foil with no springs just hanging and swinging in the breeze. I didn't hear it, but I did talk to someone who had and he said the bass was tight but the speaker didn't go that low.

Thanks for the post and link.

Makes me think it acts like a passive radiator

I'm no expert, but the thought occurs to me that its neither a port nor a passive radiator as very little if any sound would emit from the baffle. It was located in the back of the enclosure.

maybe I'm dreaming.

No, Bradford Audio was dreaming. Darn, my reputation in audio was ruined before I even got started.

...another take on the aperiodic enclosure I gather.

Yamaha must have re-visited the patents just a few years ago. I remember their NX series of desktop audio devices employing a strikingly similar technology dubbed SR-Bass™.

They did sound very good, considering their size.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/desktop-audio/nx-a01_black__u/?mode=model

The Bradford advertising prose is humorous. "We'll just take a moment of your time to slam everything..."

Interesting information on the Bradford Perfect Baffle speaker.

http://itishifi.blogspot.com/2013/04/bradford-perfect-baffle.html

Thanks for posting it.

Actually, the most interesting thing on that page was the most recent addition about Harry Partch. The blog owner has a link to an old documentary about him. Partch's work was absolutely unique and fascinating.

I've looked in vain for years for a special addition of "The World of Harry Partch" that contained an LP sized booklet with large color images of his instruments. The album is available, but not with the book.

Documentary is in two parts, about 16 minutes total and well worth a look. He has to explain the limitations of optical sound at one point as he demonstrates his "marimba eroica" which has a note at 22hz. Of course, you hear nothing but the sound of a mallet on wood. Love to hear a modern recording of that! It's about the only thing that reaches down to that area other than a 32' organ pipe.

I also found it fascinating that at the time this old doc was made, he made his living personally publishing his LPs right down to wrapping and mailing them. Apparently he got by on that and grants later in life.

Pix of his instruments aren't easy to come by. Oddly, the university that houses the collection has an extensive writeup but no pictures.

If you want to have some fun and have Flash installed, use this link to get to a page where you can actually play some of his better known instruments with your mouse and/or keyboard. Very cool. SciFi filmmakers have missed a bet not using his instruments and compositions for alien music, as these things are more alien in look and sound than the tavern band in "Star Wars."

Dave

PS - Apologies for the hijack, but I think the Bradford Baffle has been pretty much covered so I don't feel too bad.

Dave posted,

" . . . Actually, the most interesting thing on that page was the most recent addition about Harry Partch. The blog owner has a link to an old documentary about him."As Bruce just indicated above, the "owner" of that fascinating blog is our own seti.

Must be those mallets Partch uses on his marimbas that got your attention Dave. IMO, any post referencing seti's blog can't be described as a hi-jack.

One good thing about a Bradford Baffle, if you don't like it, you can mount it in your back door to allow the dog to let himself in or out.

Despite all of the professed superiority of the Bradford Baffle over cornerhorns or bass reflex, they never caught on.

Thanks for posting it.

That's seti...

Couldn't resist. Snagged the pics from the link Dee posted. I love the rarities and there aren't many mentions of this one out there.

Thanks for posting it.

Actually,
the most interesting thing on that page was the most recent addition
about Harry Partch. The blog owner has a link to an old documentary
about him. Partch's work was absolutely unique and fascinating.

I've
looked in vain for years for a special addition of "The World of Harry
Partch" that contained an LP sized booklet with large color images of
his instruments. The album is available, but not with the book.

Documentary
is in two parts, about 16 minutes total and well worth a look. He has
to explain the limitations of optical sound at one point as he
demonstrates his "marimba eroica" which has a note at 22hz. Of course,
you hear nothing but the sound of a mallet on wood. Love to hear a
modern recording of that! It's about the only thing that reaches down
to that area other than a 32' organ pipe.

I also found it
fascinating that at the time this old doc was made, he made his living
personally publishing his LPs right down to wrapping and mailing them.
Apparently he got by on that and grants later in life.

Pix of
his instruments aren't easy to come by. Oddly, the university that
houses the collection has an extensive writeup but no pictures.

If you want to have some fun and have Flash installed, use this link
to get to a page where you can actually play some of his better known
instruments with your mouse and/or keyboard. Very cool. SciFi
filmmakers have missed a bet not using his instruments and compositions
for alien music, as these things are more alien in look and sound than
the tavern band in "Star Wars."

Dave

PS - Apologies for the hijack, but I think the Bradford Baffle has been pretty much covered so I don't feel too bad.

Partch is one of my favorites right up there with Moondog. If wasn't for artist like this I would have been bored to tears years ago....

I had a dream once that I walked into a club and Sun Ra and Moondog were collaborating on stage LOL.....

Dave posted,

" . . . Actually, the most interesting thing on that page was the most recent addition about Harry Partch. The blog owner has a link to an old documentary about him."

As Bruce just indicated above, the "owner" of that fascinating blog is our own Seti.

Must
be those mallets Partch uses on his marimbas that got your attention
Dave. IMO, any post referencing Seti's blog can't be described as a
hi-jack.

One good thing about a Bradford Baffle, if you don't like it, you can mount in your back door to allow the dog to let

himself in or out.

Despite all of the professed superiority of the Bradford Baffle over cornerhorns or bass reflex, they never caught on.

Thanks!

It is nice to see something different. It would be fun to hear.

Iain, i didn't realize you had this blog. very cool.

I started it in 2009 as just an experiment. Then when I stopped posting I started getting emails so I kept it going. I got even more emails when I stopped HiFi Girl Friday so back by popular demand LOL......

The Bradford Baffle concept is pretty interesting. It would be fun to make one.