Velodyne deal!!!!!!!! I cannot afford this now but I figured somebody can

troy2003

• Moderators

Not sure about amazing. Few of them have sold recently on Ebay for that price but there are a few that also sold on Ebay for $600 - $700 too so yes, I would say it's a good deal.

I love Velodyne but honestly, I'm not a fan of an 8" subwoofer. They are great for small rooms but mere physics limits an 8" driver from moving that much air. I prefer 15" for HT and 12" - 15" for music. That's just my personal taste.

My guess is the Minivee might not be an upgrade from the sub you have now in terms of SPL levels. Again, I'm only speculating here. No real world experience with that sub.

Would I be able to successfully run a velodyne 8" along with my RW-12d?. I ask because my RW is reaching its limits in my enourmous room but I am not sure if subs are similar to sound stage (trying to keep the corresponding speakers together). If I can successfully run another sub with my RW I will be looking in the next month or two, also space is a bit of an issue with all of our furniture so can I run an 8" with a 12" and be ok?

For 300 bux, I'd just get another RW-12D. Much easier to integrate 2 identical subs. I have 2 and they do a great job.

In a perfect world, but our living room is large not to mention vaulted ceilings. Ive got a large sectional, matching couch, 2 end tables, coffee table, console table, television console, 4 large speakers on the floor and an rw-12d in the right corner. Needless to say space is at a premium and I can figure out where to place another enormous rw-12d. But with the overall size of our living room that single rw-12d is getting a workout, too much of a workout causing port noise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Troy, I can't tell from the pics if it's possible, but if it is, get the sub closer to a corner, you'll benefit from room gain. Another solution is to move the sub closer to the main seating position so the gain can be turned down. Either suggestion would help your situation.

Carl

Two Klipsch subs will work better than getting an 8 in. sub. Small subs for a large space just make farts doing the movies, lol. The high amp wattage is needed to try and overcome the physic for moving a lot of air that a larger sub can do much better. For around the same or slightly higher price, the Premiere Acoustic PA 150 is a monster on the output side. It will fill a large room. I have one and really like it.

Due to the large space of the opening post, it may be a good ideal to go for output over extension due to all the open area connected to the room. For rooms larger than 5000 cubic feet, two PA 150 would get you to reference level without a strain. To achieve this same level, we are talking about subs in the $750-1500 range.

Troy, you and your room are ideal candidates for a SVS cylinder sub. Save up and get a SVS Plus or Ultra cylinder sub and never look back.

Those are very nice pieces of equipment, just a bit spendy while looking down the barrel of an oppo purchase. Possibly a purchase for down the long haul though, I will keep those in mind.

I have owned the velodyne minivee while I was stationed in Japan. While it has a good amount of clean output for its size, it really only has the capability to fill a small room. I payed 500$ for mine brand new in 2007 so the price isn't that great on it.