1st Home Theater System

gqman10

I'm looking to build a surrond sound system. I would like some input on this system to see if it will kick ***. I'll be watching movies 95% of the time and only listening to music 5% of the time. Im shooting for $2,500 range total. So any suggestion that are within this range is welcome.

For the FL/FR should I get a pair Heresy or RF-3II's?

For the center RC-3II and for the Surround RS-3II. Im planing to get a SVS sub instead of the RWS-15. The reciever I'm looking at is the Denon 3802.

I already have a Toshiba 50x81 and JVC Progressive scan player.

Thanks for the input.

There are some drastic differences between Heresy's and RF-3II's. Obviously, the entire RF series would be a better tonal match. Since tonal matching is ideal for HT, I would go with the RF series all the way around.

If you were looking for music 95% and HT 5%, I would go with the Heresy's, because they have a more accurate, dynamic and live sound for music IMHO.

I have owned both Heresy's and currently RF series. Niether one of these are bad choices, just one is more appropriate than the other.

By the way, SVS is an excellent choice for a sub. Just bought one... AWSOME!

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

SVS 25-31 CS: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Sub amp: Onkyo M-5000

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-767

Outdoor Speakers: Klipsch HS-2

I'm starting to feel like a salesman for this place, BUT I'M NOT.

acousticsounddesign.com has a RF package that you may be interested in. They want $1650 for the package which includes a KSW-15. I'm sure they would knock some off the price if you leave that out of the package. Here's the link.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=products&ProductID=338&MainCatID=2&SubCatID=27&p=bg

I recently got an incredible deal from Good Guys.

I took advantage of an error in one of their ads

for the rf3II system and the denon 3802. Originally this system was selling for $2799 before taxes. In their ad, they listed it with the denon 1600 dvd player

which wasn't supposed to be there. When I brought this up to the manager(after much arguing) he agreed to throw it in the package for free($499 value)! On top of

that, I also got 10% off for buying a package over $999 and 12 months no payments or interest! They also

threw in 3 year warranties for the denons because of the trouble I went through. total price: $2800. This is the system I recommend as the sound is insanely good. The only thing I need now is more surrounds to take advantage of the extra amplifiers that the Denon gives you. If only my wife was more understanding!--JB

I have a very similar system that I just set up about 2 days ago. Denon 3802, SVS sub(waiting to order the PC+), RB 5's for my fronts(From reading posts they have similar sound to RF3's) and an RC7. I cannot put into words how good this setup sounds, and I dont even have my subwoofer yet!!!h

" TARGET=_blank]http://216.37.9.58/ubb/cwmsmilies/cwm7.gif

The one thing I would strongly advise you to do is make the upgrade to the RC7. Especially with you watching movies the majority of the time. I auditioned both and the difference blew me away. At the very least make sure you listen to the RC7 before you buy the RC3 and let your ears make the choice for you.

Also keep in mind that the 3802 upgrades from Denon are coming out end of august so depending on how long you can wait you might want to consider buying the 3802 when it goes on closeout.

My new system:

Toshiba 36" TV

Toshiba 5109 DVD

Denon 3802

CENTER - KLIPSCH RC-7

FRONTS - KLIPSCH RB 5

REAR - INFINITY SL 10'S ( NEXT ON UPGRADE LIST)

OLD SONY CD PLAYER

PANASONIC REPLAY TV

JVC 3800U SVHS VCR

Either go all Heritage or all Reference, with the exception of the sub. YOu could also go all Synergy, but Reference or Heritage would be my choice.

Like it was said above, if you are in this for music, get the Heritage.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

MrMike-

Do you have any intel on Denon upgrades? My parents will be looking for a reciever about that timeframe, so if the 3802 goes even lower, they'll jump at it. I would be very interested in what you think of the 3802. I have the 4800/5200 combo and enjoy it, but I don't think my parents are wanting to spend the $$$ for the 4803. Thanks.