What amp/receiver are you using?

Salvador

I would like to pose a couple of questions to all of you here. What speakers are you using? What are you using to power thosse speakers, an amp or receiver? How happy are you with that amp or receiver? Do you fell like its just right, you could do better or is it overkill for your set up? Lastly whats your favotite color?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to pose a couple of questions to all of you here. What speakers are you using?

Main system: RF-63's

What are you using to power thosse speakers, an amp or receiver?

NAD pre/pro with Acurus amp.

How happy are you with that amp or receiver?

Very.

Do you fell like its just right, you could do better or is it overkill for your set up?

Just right.

Lastly whats your favotite color?

Okay, I draw the line with the personal questions.[;)]

All other setups in my gear profile I am very happy with also.

Bill

Thanks, I am looking to upgrade my receiver maybe even getting an amp.. I think this is the best question I can ask so I can get a better idea of what I should get so that I can be happy with my system and can upgrade my speakers later without havint to spend another 2 or 3 thousand on an amp.

Salvador, I have a set of rf-83's,,I use a Harman Kardon 354, as a preamp and an Emotiva xpa 3 to power my fronts and center.

When I got the 83's I tried using the 354 with no amp, it sounded fine, and got plenty loud,but,,,,after adding the xpa3 there was a very noticeable difference in the quality of sound. A lot more punch is the best way I can explain it. I would look into getting something with preouts no matter whether you think you need an amp now or not. No sense in buying something then changing your mind in a year or two, and having to re buy because your original purchase lacks a feature.

I am very pleased with the Harman Kardon , it is a great match with the 83's IMO. I also am pleased with the Emotiva ,I have no hiss or other problems some people seem to have experienced, and the price is outstanding.

good luck

Mark

My gear is listed and i would call it amazing. I think i posted this in your other thread but i will post it again. Get a nice avr that has everything you want (pre outs and stuff). See how you like it. My guess is it will be plenty for a 5.1 rf-52ii set up. If you go 7.1 or just want more you can get a xpa-3 for around $500 to power your frount three and still use the avr to power your rears.

What speakers are you using?

La Scala

What are you using to power thosse speakers, an amp or receiver?

Reciever, Panasonic SA-XR57

How happy are you with that amp or receiver?

Very happy.

Do you fell like its just right, you could do better or is it overkill for your set up?

For now. It's just right. Impeccable sound quality, and easily enough power, but I certainly would welcome more DSP capability.

Lastly whats your favotite color?

Black. When I dim the lights, I like everything to melt away into the shadows and draw the focus to the sound stage instead of the equipment.

,,I use a Harman Kardon 354, as a preamp and an Emotiva xpa 3 to power my fronts and center.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-354-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0016BGRXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367346157&sr=8-1&keywords=Harman+Kardon+354

Is that your receiver? How are you hooking up your Emotiva to it? It has no XLR??

yep, that's it.

I use RCA cables to connect it to the amp,,,my understanding is that the benefit of XLR cables are if there is a substantial distance between the receiver and amp.

One thing I didn't think about ,was the video processing the 354 does,,it has no true pass through, ,,I do not run my ps3 or cable into the avr, I run them direct to my t.v.. In my eyes the processing that occurs make everything shiney, I don't like it. I think Youthmans HK has true pass through. If you are interested in a HK, check out their clearance website, you will get the same factory warranty ,and some pretty good prices on things. You cannot get to it from the Harman Kardan site, you have to google Harman Kardan clearance and go from there.

Mark

What is in my signature is my system. Had JBL Northridge book shelves as mains for years then the RF-7II's. No comparison, huge improvement. I am running with the Onkyo and Emotiva XPA-5. Tried the Onkyo first, sounded great, but added the XPA-5 much more "punch" and better dynamics. I do have a hum in my speakers from the amp that I am not happy with, however the amp does add alot to the system. As an example I watched Return of the Jedi, during the speeder bike chase scene, and I heard sounds and impacts more than I had ever heard before. I would recommend getting a AVR with the pre-outs, that way you can always add an amp. Not necessary but once you have one you do not want to be without. Sorry about being long winded, hope this helps. Also you do not have to have XLR for the amp regular RCA will work, however XLR may be "better", I do not know.

I just recently upgraded. For years I was running a middle of the road Yamaha A/v receiver out to my Crites upgraded (networks and tweets) Chorus II. I thought it souned pretty good. I tried a emotiva amp at one point, but it didn't really add anything to the sound. I just figured it sounded good.

I recently bought the new egg special for the Pioneer sc-1222k The difference in sound quality (to my ears) is nothing short of spectacular. I was astounded how much clarity and detail that added to my speakers. While the speakers were imaging before, the whole sound field opened up with the new receiver. The class d3 amps (to me) are something special.

So I am running a Pioneer sc-1222 into two upgraded (Crites networks and tweets) Chorus IIs . I also have a RW12D sub that I am while not "happy" with, sounds okay for now.

My favorite color is fuscia....I just like the way it sounds, don't even know what it looks like.

I'm using Yamaha's just like you are but a few steps up the line. I used to use Onkyo but something always went wrong. I'm happy with the Yamahas and I have a second set of fronts mounted high and the Yamaha lets me program them as presence speakers. I also have a pair of speakers on my patio but it would have cost me quite a bit more to buy receivers that would power 9.1 inside and 2 outside as well. the economy solution turned out to be to run from zone 2 rca outputs to a second amp and I bought used 50 w speakercraft 2 channels amps for this purpose and they work great. a yamaha 1000 receiver with a 2 channel amp is a lot less money than a yamaha 2000 receiver.

I have a Pioneer SC 35 and feel it is a a nice avr to build a system around. I also use external amps on the center, fronts, and FH speakers. There are so many nice ways to go for powering a system My Yamaha M 70 and 80 are nice but I love my little cube amp for the RC 64. The real question is do I need all of this, lol.[;)] Maybe I should get a 7 channel amp, oh, I have the SC 35, lol. [8-)]

• Moderators

If you're going to have seperate amplification then a receiver is a waste of money.

Depends on how much you spend on your receiver. I paid $300 for my HK Receiver and am using it as a Pre/Pro. If you are going to spend $1500 on a receiver, you might want to consider moving to separates. Other than Emotiva, a dedicated Pre/Pro isn't cheap.

If you're going to have seperate amplification then a receiver is a waste of money.

Depends on how much you spend on your receiver. I paid $300 for my HK Receiver and am using it as a Pre/Pro. If you are going to spend $1500 on a receiver, you might want to consider moving to separates. Other than Emotiva, a dedicated Pre/Pro isn't cheap.

Its to bad they dont make more middle price pre/pros. Would love to see some in the 500-800 range.