What amp/receiver are you using?

Salvador

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about getting a sunfire hrs 12. The dealer wants 1200 for it but he doesn't have one on display. I told him its hard to make a decision without seeing one. I know it would kick my kipsch sw 450 *** tho. I have the icon series so its kind of sad the sub will worth more then all the speaker together.

I would like to pose a couple of questions to all of you here. What speakers are you using? What are you using to power thosse speakers, an amp or receiver? How happy are you with that amp or receiver? Do you fell like its just right, you could do better or is it overkill for your set up? Lastly whats your favotite color?

What speakers are you using? 3 La Scalas, 2 Heresy Industrial HIP speakers, and a PSA Triax sub

What are you using to power those speakers, an amp or receiver? Denon 4520 AVR

How happy are you with that amp or receiver? Very happy

Do you fell like its just right, you could do better or is it overkill for your set up? I think with my current speakers I have a little more power than I need but it is better to have too much than not enough and clip the speakers.

Lastly whats your favorite color? Blue

RF-7's or RF-5's with an emotive umc-1 and outlaw 7125 7 channel amp.

I am very pleased with my setup. Overall I noticed some headroom missing when it comes to the low end with more punch. I will say I notice it but it isn't huge. If I had the money I would upgrade. The amp isn't short on gas as my ears would bleed before they'd distort and the amp have no more juice. I like my outlaw more than the emo xpa-5 because I found it smoother and has a dead silent floor noise. Either one is a win win and there are tons of brands to choose from

oh please don't spend that much money on a little sunfire sub. if you wanna spend 1200 get an svs pb-12 plus. it will absolutely destroy a sunfire sub.

Thanks for the idea, i'll keep it in mind, it looks like a beast. Weights almost 100 lbs more then the sunfire, 127 lbs is crazy.

I have a question for a blu ray player, I just bought a pioneer elite 62fd, but I have a xbox360 I can trade in for a Playstation 4. Would a playstion 4 make a better blu ray player for video and audio, or would the pioneer be better. One person said the pioneer is better picture but the pioneer is better audio wise.

I have 7 setups in the house and I am pleased with each one of them for what they are. The 2 bedrooms have marantz nr1402 receivers running quintet setups with sub10s. My living room has a marantz nr1602 running ksf10.5 front 8.5 rears .5 center , rw10d sub and ca8ts on zone 2. Small untreated room but still impresses most that come over. This same room has a pair of LSI's running off a la fayette stereo 236a integrated tube amp from the 50s for my 2ch. Again very happy, but would like to try out some dynaco mk2 or 3s. The theater room is running a marantz sr7007 on 6 kg 5.5s ( front, wides, double center) ca8ts (rear, sides) and (4) rw12d subs. Again small room that is partially treated, needs more headroom but still gets down. Would like to upgrade this room to a marantz sr7008 with a pm8004 to pick up all 11 channels and move the 7007 to the tv room. There is a pioneer vsx 502( my first receiver) in the garage running ca8ts and a vintage marantz 4270( inherited) in my office on some imperial 7s. All of the systems have their own characteristics, flaws, and strengths. Individually I am happy with each one of them for their intended use. I know I don't have all top shelf stuff but it works for me...for now

O yeah. Black

Edited by McMiRA

I have a question for a blu ray player, I just bought a pioneer elite 62fd, but I have a xbox360 I can trade in for a Playstation 4. Would a playstion 4 make a better blu ray player for video and audio, or would the pioneer be better. One person said the pioneer is better picture but the pioneer is better audio wise.

My guess is the PQ will be equal. I have a pioneer BDP 430 and the PQ is great. It just does not have has many apps as my Samsung BD which is in my HT setup. I think the PQLS function is good if you have a Pioneer avr. I would give the edge to the Pioneer in SQ with the PQLS.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have a Pioneer SC-1222-K receiver and have sung its praises before. The class "D3" amps sound very good with my basement K-horn, La Scala system. The class D amps Pioneer is using seem like where the future is. Very efficient, and have the most of the goodness of great tubes with the power of good SS. Color? I would love it if modern gear had that wonderful aluminium wood look of late 1970s Yamaha gear. Black is soooo boring.

i think the playstation would rival any player as they are always praised as being the most versatile players for just about any kinds of discs and there are a lot of reviews out there saying that the oppo player is maybe a couple percent better than ps3. and oppo is about as good as it gets i think for most of us. now the ps4….havent read to much about it. saw something in my news feed about them already having hardware failures. but newsfeed is rarely a source of info for me. i like to read about new stuff over at ave. such a huge forum full of info. people just aren't as friendly as here. :D

i think the playstation would rival any player as they are always praised as being the most versatile players for just about any kinds of discs and there are a lot of reviews out there saying that the oppo player is maybe a couple percent better than ps3. and oppo is about as good as it gets i think for most of us. now the ps4….havent read to much about it. saw something in my news feed about them already having hardware failures. but newsfeed is rarely a source of info for me. i like to read about new stuff over at ave. such a huge forum full of info. people just aren't as friendly as here. :D

The PS4 had about a .4% failure rate at launch. Several people complained about it but it the amount of units sold it wasn't bad. I would expect around 1% of units being defective when dealing with electronics. I'm sure the Xbox One will have the issues at launch as well. People who was reporting about the PS4 was pretty much leaned towards a bad HDMI slot saying it was either loose and wouldn't work or just wouldn't work at all

• Moderators

If you're going to have seperate amplification then a receiver is a waste of money. Why buy inboard amplification if you're never going to use it? Get a pre/pro and be done with it.

I tend to disagree. You can get a receiver with HD Audio Decoding, HDMI, and a lot of other features for much less than you can buy a good pre/pro with same features. If you buy used, you'll get even more bang for your buck, even if it does include amplification that you do not use.

If you're going to have seperate amplification then a receiver is a waste of money. Why buy inboard amplification if you're never going to use it? Get a pre/pro and be done with it.

I tend to disagree. You can get a receiver with HD Audio Decoding, HDMI, and a lot of other features for much less than you can buy a good pre/pro with same features. If you buy used, you'll get even more bang for your buck, even if it does include amplification that you do not use.

Ditto! Using an AVR as a prepro for some channel is a cost effective way to get the best of both world.

Ditto! Using an AVR as a prepro for some channel is a cost effective way to get the best of both world.

Yup! The only thing I wish is that you could totally disable the power amp in a receiver to draw zero electricity.

You can get more bang for your buck buying used pre/pros too. What's a msrp to msrp comparison of a receiver that has all the same features as the Outlaw AND will sound as good? All things being equal, separates sound better. That's why there's amps and pre-amps. That's why there's mono blocks and monoblock designed multi channel amps (hint hint). Receivers are a low cost compromise all in one no matter how you slice it. I've yet to hear of someone going to separates and then switching back to a receiver.