Klipsch Cornwall III ON RISERS review by Boomzilla

Hi Michael -

If you want a cheap (and effective) attenuator for the Heresy's tweeter, then tape a layer of 2-ply toilet paper over it. Not enough attenuation? Tape two sheets over it. Sounds crazy, but I guarantee it works.

Boomzilla

Hi Michael - If you want a cheap (and effective) attenuator for the Heresy's tweeter, then tape a layer of 2-ply toilet paper over it. Not enough attenuation? Tape two sheets over it. Sounds crazy, but I guarantee it works. Boomzilla

That idea stinks.

• Like 1

Hi Michael -

If you want a cheap (and effective) attenuator for the Heresy's tweeter, then tape a layer of 2-ply toilet paper over it. Not enough attenuation? Tape two sheets over it. Sounds crazy, but I guarantee it works.

Boomzilla

Charmin? Northern? 2 ply or single? Used? [+o(]

yes you can use diffraction ball in both mid and tweeter horns. I use an official size ball which is 40 mm dia. in the mid horn and I use a single wrap of black electrical tape cut in half (width wise) around the circumference to provide a friction fit. In the tweeter I use a 38 mm non official ball (toy type ping pong ball). This is also installed with a half width wrap of electrical tape to provide a friction fit. I install some F-11 damping on the inside face of the balls but I suggest that you try the idea out first just using a ball on its own first as this is simple and cheap try. The diffraction balls allows you to position the speakers so that you are looking directly down the throats of the horns and they will sound excellent that way. Best regards Moray James.

Mr. James is correct ONLY if you have the II or III model Heritage speakers with the Tractix horn tweeters. For the old K-77 tweeters, the toilet paper option is the ONLY option. In my experience, it DOES work and it DOESN'T mess with the imaging. Since I've never tried the paper option on the newer speakers, and since ping-pong balls are cheap, I'd go with Mr. James' suggestion if I had a II or III series speaker that needed midrange or treble attenuation.

I must say, though, that if your room is properly treated to avoid slap-echo, that the factory balance sounds just fine to my ears. I'm currently running Cornwall III models and they sound great. Before I put up ATS pads to kill the room echo, though, the room made the factory speakers sound terrible!

So my conclusion is to fix the room first!

Cheers - Boomzilla

My bad. I have been using the K79 in my H3 for so long that I have forgotten they are a larger (deeper) lens than the stock H3 horns which are closer in size and shape to the T35 diffraction horn. The diffraction horns are good as is. I happen to like both the new H3 tweeter and the T35 lens of which I have had both the stock K77 and Bob's CT125 with the CT125 having the far better driver on the same lens. I will have some time this summer and will play with diffraction devices in the tractrix H3 / CW3 tweeter horn and get back to you. I did play with some slightly smaller diametre balls before switching over to the K79 but it was some time back and I will need to revisit that again. The diffraction device impacts dispersion of the horns not level. Give it a try in your K701 and see what you think. The K700/K701 is not my favorite Klipsch mid horn but properly treated it is a good sounding horn. It is an old exponential design and it sounds forced compared to newer Klipsch hybrid tractrix mid horns. I also prefer those newer horns when fitted with diffraction devices. This is simply my own preference just to be clear. Those who may be curious are welcome to experiment. Very good advice concerning room treatment. Speaker placement also has a big impact and is easier to do in a well behaved room. Best regards Moray James.

• 4 years later...

I have a pair of the home built cornwalls with the vertical horn design and B  cross overs with sonic caps.   I have never had an issue with then being to boomy.    I did have them in a basement once up on the fireplace hearth.  They sounded ok there, but to me, they sounded there best in my small 11x22 carpeted living room IMO.   Run off a EL34 amp with KT77's.  Would that be a common occurance with vertical horns?    Glad to here your CW3's are sounding nice.   Just curious, are those real wood veneer now days?   

1 hour ago, ka7niq said:

Tell me what you used to elevate the LaScala ?

I built an open bottom box that was the exact length/width dimension of the La Scala. As I recall the box was 6 inches high (could have been 8, don't remember exactly and I don't own them anymore) and was made of 3/4 Baltic birch. I have a picture somewhere and will post if I can find it. It really had no negative effects on bass and positive effects on imaging. If I wind up with another pair in the future I would do that simple improvement again.

• Like 1

When I had La Scalas I built 6 inch risers for them which improved the overall sound!!  

Just measured my Chorus iis midrange horn at 29 1/2 inches and my ear level on my couch at 36 inches.  So my project for Jan is some form of risers for the Chorus iis.