Shinall KKS-1 Corner Horns (Better than Khorns) - $2500

Youthman

• Moderators

Guy apparently doesn't like the Khorns. Link

Need to sell my exceedingly rare Shinall KKS-1 corner speakers. These are hand-made identical (and I mean identical in every dimension) copies of Klipschorns. Their maker, Gary Shinall, died a few years ago. As a highly accomplished cabinet maker, hobbyist, and electrical engineer, he took the Klipschorn (which went off patent many years ago) design and made it better. These speakers are constructed one-by-one entirely of 3/4" voidless baltic birch plywood (Klipsch uses fiberboard) with hand laid matched black walnut veneer, finished in tung oil. They weigh about 50 pounds more than Klipschorns. The mid horns are hand welded aluminum (Klipsch uses molded plastic or fiberglass). The crossovers are hand made using the best components. University/ElectroVoice and Pyle drivers are used. These speakers show how much better Klipschorns would be if cost and corporate bean counters were not part of the equation. A new pair of Klipschorns will set you back $9,000! These speakers are in 9.9/10 condition and operate flawlessly. They will blow any current Klipschorns away, with ease. They are extremely efficient and dynamic. They require corner placement in a large (the larger the better) room. I recently retired and moved from 4800 square feet in Memphis to 1800 square feet in Palmetto. My listening room went from 20' x 26' to 10' x 12'. Needless to say, my current situation is not sustainable. These speakers are way too much for such a small environment - they need to stretch out and breathe! Please contact me via E-mail if interested. Auditions can be arranged. I would consider trades for speakers more in line with my tight quarters. These are beautiful, fabulous speakers that need a new (and much larger) home. $2500 or BEST OFFER. Since they tuck tightly into corners, which are usually unused space in most homes, they are surprisingly unobtrusive.

I've got a pair of some of the last KKS's produced by Gary just before he died of ALS in 2008. While I'm not sure that I would call them better acoustically than Khorns, I will say that the build quality of the speakers is outstanding. They form the bulk of my second system upstairs with a Belle center and two Heresy surrounds.

I expect that this setup will go to one of my offspring when their finances can finally afford an appropriate acoustic space in which to place them. The downstairs setup gets 100% of my attention nowadays.

That price looks to be about 2x (or more) too high.

Chris