Pro's and Cons - Pro Amp for 2 channel?

I read on here somewhere that where Klipsch uses ProAmps for testing the speakers but I don't remember seeing many people stating they use them for home use. I am currently running RF7's for two channel. Im running these off my Elite SC-63 but based on all my reading I think I may want to give some external amplification to the fronts and see how they respond. I will be using the Elite as my Pre as I don't think I could to with out some if its bells and whistles. (I couldn't loose Airplay)

Im gonna steal my Old Man's Crown amp and see how they respond. If I like it I will be in the market for a good 2 ch amp. Any thoughts on moving towards a QSC pro for this solution? They seem very very reasonably priced.......

What are the negatives?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go with QSC their PLX series seems to be the best way to go. Some cons are - loud fan noise, connections not the same as home audio (XLR, Speakon, etc). The Crown XTi series is a great choice.

What are the negatives?

A waste of your time, and possibly some money. But feel free to try out your old man's gear and listen for yourself. Make sure you have a multimeter handy to compare voltage going into the speakers, otherwise you'll mistaken having an extra 3-6dB of gain on tap as "improved" sound.

I use a Crown K2 and you could do alot worse.

I've used Aragon, Adcom, McCormick, Marantz, Yamaha, QSC and tons of other solid state receivers and amplifiers.

Save some money and give pro audio a listen. If you don't like it flip it because someone else will.

The QSC GX series (3, 5, 7) has imputs using rca, 1/4 inch phone, and xlr, with the outputs using Speakon and binding posts. You can inteface with about anything with these.

Bruce

I agree with Quiet H

The Pioneer Elite SC-63 have D3 digital amplification/completely digital domain throughput. From my experience with a NAD C390DD direct digital amplifer as well as many pro amps, using a "pro" amp will be a waste of time. I don't yet know if the SC-63 is in the same league as the C390 (probably not as there are some important technical differences) but I'm planning on getting a SC-63 (or 65, 67, or 68) for a home theater upgrade. I've had some pretty top notch solid state and valve amps in my system and heard even more elsewhere, "pro", vintage or boutique esoteric stuff. The NAD C390 blows them away. IMHO a "pro" would sound-wise be a step backward and I can assure you it wasn't that long ago that I never thought I'd hear myself saying that.

"The times they are a changin'"

Wrong

"The times they have a changed"

Hi 2point1 -

Absolutely true, but you couldn't stay in the room with Klipsch speakers at even a fraction of the QSC's 500 watt output. 99% of listening is done at power outputs of less than one up to about five watts. What THOSE power levels sound like is what's important. Although the QSC can put out its 500 watts for hours on end without breaking, it isn't designed to sound the same at the first watt.

The Emotiva Mini-X (50 watts x 2 for $219) I contend will sound MUCH better than the QSC. If you feel you MUST have more power, then the Emotiva UPA-200 (125 watts x 2) for $314 will also blow away any commercial power amp that I know of.

It's a matter of quality vs. quantity. You pays your money, you takes your choice. For my money, Emotiva amplifiers sound as good as anything I've heard for 4x the money. I've used commercial power amps before in home systems. I'm not just a flac for Emotiva. I've also used amplifiers from Bryston, McIntosh, Classé, Rogue Audio, and others. I've heard no better deal than Emotiva. The best of sound for a bargain price.

The Emotiva Mini-X (50 watts x 2 for $219) I contend will sound MUCH better than the QSC. If you feel you MUST have more power, then the Emotiva UPA-200 (125 watts x 2) for $314 will also blow away any commercial power amp that I know of.

It's a matter of quality vs. quantity. You pays your money, you takes your choice. For my money, Emotiva amplifiers sound as good as anything I've heard for 4x the money. I've used commercial power amps before in home systems. I'm not just a flac for Emotiva. I've also used amplifiers from Bryston, McIntosh, Classé, Rogue Audio, and others. I've heard no better deal than Emotiva.

I have 3 Emotiva XPA amps, several tube amps and several AVRs. In my two channel setup with Chorus II's I am using a QSC PLX 2402 and it sounds every bit as good as my other amps. The only negatives that I had were the fan noise which I replaced for less than $15 and is now dead silent and the fact that it does not fit in my nice audio rack because of the ears. Sound wise it is top notch and very affordable - 425 watts a channel for $450 used. Nothing about the "first watt" with the QSC is any different than anything Emotiva makes. Pro amps are used in high dollar pro systems all over the country. They just aren't as "pretty" as home amps.

So to the OP - yes I run a QSC PLX and it is a great amp. Very smooth with all the mojo anyone could ever want or need. I have not hooked it up to my RF-7's but I know it would sound great if I did.

I have 3 Emotiva XPA amps, several tube amps and several AVRs. In my two channel setup with Chorus II's I am using a QSC PLX 2402 and it sounds every bit as good as my other amps

Hi Vital -

I believe you. I have no personal experience with QSC amps. I based my statements on my experience with Crown amplifiers. My Emotivas have sounded significantly better than my Crowns. Thanks for the info!

Cordially - Boomzilla

One other thing to factor in with a pro amp mating with home gear is the strength of the pre-out signal of your pioneer. I found that my Pioneer VSX1121's pre- out signal was too weak going into my Crown K2, for its room correction software to work properly. I had to buy what is sometimes called a bump box, which takes the unbalanced signal of home gear and boosts the signal and changes it to a balanced one that the pro amps are designed for. Just for your info, I purchased 2 different ones to try out, a Henry Matchbox HD and one called an Art cleanbox pro. They each did the job and I really like the sound of the Crown in my system. I got mine used for $400. I thought it a good deal.

I based my statements on my experience with Crown amplifiers. My Emotivas have sounded significantly better than my Crowns.

Have had the QSC 2402 and the Crown K2 you can hardly distinguish the two. I prefer the K2 for the slightly recessed mids. If anything I find it a tad warmer than the QSC but ever so slightly. I actually preferred the lower frequencies of the QSC. But I use a couple of subs to handle that.

I run 4 of the PLX2's in my HT. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that sounds appreciably better at any price. You can achieve concert levels with no ear fatigue. As a matter of fact, I went to see the Band Perry last night and remember saying to myself while there, how much better the audio is in my living room at those volumes.

I read on here somewhere that where Klipsch uses pro amps for testing the speakers but I don't remember seeing many people stating they use them for home use.

I currently use four Crown D75As (about $100-$200 each used) in my setup. They are very clean amps,but by no means are they in the same class as a First Watt F3 ($2K). The D45 is the little brother to the D75A (in terms of the size of its power supply). Both units have plenty of power for my needs.

More threads on these two amplifiers:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/61640.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/103082/1040594.aspx#1040594

I have found the QSC PLX amps to be very suitable for home use if you take the time to replace the fan for a quiet model.

Do take the time to borrow one and compare with your 'consumer' product. Make the call based on what you feel will work for you. After evaluating several pro amps, I sold my Parasound HALO gear and went all pro. There just was not a noticeable difference in sound quality.

I have tried and owned, Harman Khardon, Adcom, Yamaha, Parasound, Crown, QSC and Behringer and several other brands I don't recall at the moment.

One issue you might run into is gain matching between the pro gear and your consumer sources. There is a long thread on the subject here somewhere back when I was struggling with that issue.