Pro's and Cons - Pro Amp for 2 channel?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WELL, since we'll be going Digital source, DAC, amp, speakers, we can use the ones going to the Denon (after we're done playing with that). I was assuming we'd not have the Denon in line at that time.

EDIT, assumimg your digital source has volume control.

Looks like the Benchmark Media DAC1 HDR is the way to go for complimenting a pro amp like the QSC. Not cheap at $1,600, but since the amp will be cheaper than I had planned the total package is pretty much on par with other combinations I have looked at.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1-hdr

The DAC1 HDR is designed to be able to
interface directly to power amps and powered
studio monitors. This configuration provides
the cleanest and shortest path from the
digital source to the monitor output and often
results in a substantial improvement in sound
quality.

The DAC1 HDR is equipped with 10, 20 and
30 dB output attenuators for optimal
interfacing. The pads optimize the output
signal level of the DAC1 HDR for the input
sensitivity of virtually any load (amplifier,
preamp, etc). Most power amplifiers and
powered monitors require the 20 dB pad
setting. The DAC1 HDR is factory-set with
the 20 dB pad enabled.

The MC250 and MC2100 were early Mac s/s and sound very much like tubes but with no maintenance. I have 2 2100s and 3 250s. Obviously, I think a lot of these amps. I also use a Benchmark DAC-1 USB as you know. Excellent combo.

I will say though that I had Terry DeWick rebuilt each of the 5 Mac amps I have. He did a full clean up of each unit, power supply upgrade, full audio path upgrade, new power cords, terminal strips, and new gold Cardas RCA jacks. That cost around $400-$500 per unit plus shipping (above the purchase cost). I accumulated these over a period of about 3-4 years and gradually had Terry do his work. I made the investment because I intend to keep them for many years,

You WILL want this work done to one of those amps if you buy them. They are from the 70s.

OK.........so it costs a little. But there are great advantages to having some good Mac stuff in the rack.

My preamp is a C220 which is a Mac tube preamp............and I use a highly modified (by NOSValves) Yagin tube buffer on the tape monitor loop when I engage the Benchmark DAC.

So overall I have a very tubey sound to the system.

Great info, thank you sir. The beauty and curse of this hobby is the near infinite combinations of gear. $500-1000 for a 2-channel amp + $500 for a full spec update is on par with modern gear I've been looking at that is neither as cool, robust, or able to safely drive at 2 ohms. Are the sound signatures between the 2100 and 250 different enough that you prefer one over the other?

If you like Yamaha electronics and don't need a pre-amp, this power amp might suit your needs.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/mx-d1_black__u/?mode=model#list=within&mode=paging

The MX-D1 is discontinued now, but used ones can be found, and the sound is really good. It has both RCA and balanced XLR inputs.

The power output is 500 Wpc into 8 ohms and 650 Wpc into 4 ohms. Unlike with pro amps that are designed to be operated near full power most of the time and accordingly have their lowest distortion numbers at high output, the MX-D1 has its minimum distortion in the 6-10 watt range. That makes it much more suitable for home use. The gain is a bit high at 34 dB, but very little hiss is produced, and it's only audible when you're within a couple of feet of the speakers.

I just came across this post, but I can't confirm the contents because I haven't seen these statements anywhere else:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-191850.html

"The Yamaha MX-D1 is a superb amp, hugely powerful and sweet sounding. Because it is completely off the radar scope of most audiophiles it can be purchased for a pittance of it's true value. Their loss, our gain.

I've used my MX-D1 to drive a pair of Infinity Quantum 2's. It has no problem with low ohm loads. The power output of the amp is load invarient, and Yamaha rates it at 500wpc at 8, 6, 4, and 2 ohms. It can drive loads below 2 ohms, although Yamaha doesn't rate it for loads that low."

More new vs. old tech Yamaha gear in this discussion: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-445980.html

I bought a new one in 2007 and I really like it. A year later, a used one became available within driving distance, and I saw that a forum member had a pair of K510/K-69 tweeters for sale, so I picked up those items, along with a Dx38 processor. Now my La Scalas with passive crossovers are bi-amped 510 JubScalas with an active crossover with digital delay, so the drivers are time-aligned. Time-alignment's not a huge deal, but it does improve the sound.

Both MX-D1s are still sounding and looking great. I'm really glad I bought them.

I prefer the sound of the MC-250 over the MC-2100. Also, DeWick provides measurements with each amp he rebuilds. All my 250s came in at over 75wpc at rated distortion. The 2100s were in the 120wpc range. The 250s have plenty of power but sound a little sweeter to me.

Great stuff guys. I'm really not plugged into the N. Texas audio scene (is there one?) so I don't have a large pool of friends to borrow gear from and try out first. I think there is like ONE audio dealer in Dallas and likely not to have anything but super exotic stuff - certainly not quality vintage gear. It just makes it tough to try before you buy - so I'm left with asking endless questions that likely get annoying to the Elder Ears out there.

Did you forget the pro amps?

IMHO, before you buy that exotic amps for home use, you have to be sure that you're going to listen some difference between all that exclusive components and that very large supply caps that suppose to provide a "unique sound experience" and all that adjectives that I really don´t understand.

Here in Brazil we made a test with a (good) professional amp with 250W and a home use amp with 35W. Besides the power, the difference was the professional maker didn´t spend money buying that expensive connection and audiophile components.

No one chose the side of the lighter home use amp. The difference was mainly about bass. The low frequencies ran away when I played the weaker amp. And I'm tanking about a simple bookshelf speakers.

I know it wasn´t a scientific test but the difference against the weaker amp was clear for me.

The Emotiva are the only home use amp I ever seen that worth the money. The price range is quite equal the pro range and the design is good for home use.

The audiophile people have my respect but I just don´t listen the difference between a ordinary amp or cables and the audiophile ones. May be I don´t have a good room, my music source isn´t that good or my ears are not good enough to hear any difference.

So, IMHO pay more for that stuff is like throw my money away.

In talking with Rudy today, he suggested another option I hadn't really thought about which is to wire the woofers in series making the effective load 12 ohms. With anything near 100wpc or more I should technically be ok, right? Discuss any pro's/con's with this approach?

Read the rest of the thread. ;) Pro-amps are definitely being considered, but they may not be desireable for the top end sound. These are custom DIY speakers and the passive crossover has yet to be created. I'm trying to work through these ideas now so that accommodations can be made for wiring method, impedance loads, driver quantity, etc as the crossovers are created.