Center Channel Upgrade

vandec54

Please view my system in profile.

I am currently running the RC3-II for my center and wish to upgrade to something that sounds a little bigger/fuller. I want your suggestion to match my other speakers perfectly and would like a model currently in production (I like buying new). Thank you

Please view my system in profile.

I am currently running the RC3-II for my center and wish to upgrade to something that sounds a little bigger/fuller. I want your suggestion to match my other speakers perfectly and would like a model currently in production (I like buying new). Thank you

Perfectly? Then I'd say an RF-3 II on it's side. If you are handy with power tools, you could get the tweeter horn in between the woofers. I've seen that done with other RF's.

You already have the center speaker that matches your other speakers perfectly. How is your center set up? Is it inside a cabinet? Sitting on top of a TV stand? Tilted so its aimed directly at your ears while sitting? dB matched to your other speakers?

My center channel is sitting on top of a Bello glass shelf and not inside a cabinet.

It is roughly 8 feet away. But it is not tilted up. What do you/others use to lift the front up slightly?

I did an Auddesy set up from my Marantz and I even jacked up the db's of the center.

My rears sound great, RF3's sound good, Center sounds a little on the "small" side.

If I switched a RC5-II it wouldn't be timbre matched? How about the newer series center's?

Thank you

Any chance you have a coffee table of anything else reflective in front of the listening position? I was having a heck of a time with my center and then moved the table and reran audyessy and it made a huge difference.

Adjusting the tilt more toward your ears will make a big difference in most rooms/setups/listening positions. I would recommend a nice piece of thick rubber maybe with one side of it sticky with some adhesive to not slip or move. Try this maybe use a SPL meter to get closer more accurate DB reading at your listening area. I would recommend stick with the center you and try working with it as timbre matching is fairly important and makes sound of the front sound stage sound the most complete IMO. Youths suggestion of upgrading to RF-5s and the matching RC-7 would sound even fuller. Not sure if you are up to upgrading more than just the center though.

RC-64ii would be great and imo the gain would outweigh any loss in timber. Make sure you have the room for it its really big in person. The RC-62ii would probably be closer to your mains and would work great also. You could look for an old rc-64 for around 500 or get a b stock new rc-64ii for around 850. I think the rc-62ii would be close to what you have now? So if it was me and i wanted more i would grab the 64. I ran mine with the rf-82 and loved it. However it sounded so good i wanted that sound everywhere so enter rf-7ii lol.

my RC-62II sounds great, but I think you should mess around with what you have a bit more to see if you can fix the sound. Try changing the crossover to 80, might make a difference, might not, but it's a start and you can definitely try some other things that have been suggested in this thread as well =^)