Thoughts on being an Audiophile

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm. Well, I usually spent $ on equipment to solve problems, such as trying to solve irritating CD or TT/cart/tonearm sound. Thus my purchases of a Basis TT and arm and a Transfig cart, followed by a better CD transport and DAC and then modifying them to bring CD quality up to the TT. I also put Townshend sinks under the TT and CD transport, added a PSAudio power regenerator, etc., all directed at the common goal of a purer, more musical sound from my equipment. And oh, yes, selected power cords, especially for the tube preamps (CAT, then Joule).

In all of this, I was also transitioning from preoccupation with audio quality, to listening past the audio issues to what the MUSIC was about. I've studied music theory for several years, so that's where my recent concentration has been, and I find I increasingly ignore past wishes for ideal sound purity and quality. That's one reason I like to watch/listen to good DVD performances. In the car, it's usually FM or satellite radio, or occasional CD's, and that's fine for what I listen for.

YMMV.

The guy says that he can afford to spend even $200/month on audio related purchases without blinking an eye! That's not in the real world in my book! Wish I had that kind of $$$ to throw around each month!!!

It's been my real world experience for a while now. My monthly budget for music has been $200 per month and I try to stretch it as far as possible.

To me, the music is the most important thing, not the gear. I've not read the article, but if audiophile means listening to the gear, not the music, I don't fit that description. It's all about the music. If the only thing I had was an AM radio, I could be happy for a long time. Without the music, the AM radio is worthless to me! YMMV.

Dennie listening.gif

Makes you wonder about the guy who would drop $10,000 on a DAC.Confused

Yeap! I completely don't get that! But I understand that some people can and will spend that kind of cash on gear. I'd rather have more music! rockout.gif

Dennie

If the only thing I had was an AM radio, I could be happy for a long time. Without the music, the AM radio is worthless to me! YMMV.

Now you're talkin'!!! [Y]

Bruce

Equipment and a good audio collection is nice. But, the atmosphere and people with whom you enjoy it with is where the real memories are appreciated. I remeber some of my college days hangin with the guys for hours listening to music on my old Kenwood and Technic tt, and RTR speakers those were some great times and the music was spectacular in my memory, not that the memory is accurate, it just that way..

Equipment and a good audio collection is nice. But, the atmophere and people with whom you enjoy it with is where the real memories are appreciated. I remeber some of my college days hangin with the guys for hours listening to music on my old Kenwood and Technic tt, and RTR speakers those were some great times and the music was spectaclar in my memory, not that the memory is accurate, it just that way..

nobody does this anymore. there's a generational phenomenon, noticed even in my own life, where music is merely a background soundtrack to whatever may be happening at the moment. I've got music going nearly all the time. I'll sit with friends around a fire and have Pandora going.. we'll acknowledge a good song here or there, but the focus is not to sit and listen to the music. it's sad. Between that and the $0.99 per song price point, it's probably why my generation (I'm 31) and younger see music as a commodity and not an art form.

this realization is a big motivator behind my recent 2-channel project (jump started by some nice free cabinets) .. It will be in my garage office, separate from any other distractions. it will have seating for 2 at most. music listening will be the event, not the accoutrement to whatever else is happening. i would consider an Audiophile to be anyone that approaches music with the same goal, regardless of their gear or seating capacity.

Indeed. I even collected some of that older equipment to try and recreate those feelings, but no luck. Too many miles since then.

Did you try collecting some of the old friends and giving that a try? I did. Works to a degree...but most have lost the ability to listen to anything but their own voices, a cell phone, or the TV.

Dave

Works to a degree...but most have lost the ability to listen to anything but their own voices, a cell phone, or the TV.

Disconnecting from "The Matrix" is something that isn't yet cool. I'm hoping that the pendulum will swing...soon. Being okay with oneself and friends is an achievement: not being so has implications.

Chris

Being okay with oneself and friends is an achievement: not being so has implications.

Dead on, Chris. Our preoccupation with music has left us able to notice that which others didn't. In a way, it protects us from becoming "borg." I have only one of my oldest friends left who can, and does, sit still and listen to fine music of all kinds. Yep. Another audiophile. It extends to fine art, reading, true appreciation of nature, and other things. Most of my friends can't sit still for more than about 3 minutes, though years ago we'd sit and listen for hours in rapt transcendance.

In my case, I sit in front of the TV for about 3 minutes and, unless it's Dr. Who or something really involving, my foot starts tapping and my mind wanders towards music.

I think people have become accustomed to more that just junk food. Junk everything.

I made something of an attempt to explain to a friend yesterday how a great pipe organ playing transcedent music was, to me, like seeing a great painting in motion, with new strokes and shades, light and shadow, all moving in time creating a soundscape of incomparable beauty that I simply became a part of.

Looked at me with a blank stare and answered her cell phone.

Dave

I'm seeing a lot of this nowadays...even at work--during meetings.

I don't carry mine around anymore: it stays in my satchel. I also don't own a smartphone :o The fact of the matter is...that I don't have to own one, all I have to do is ask someone who has one.

I've been told that I'm a luddite.

Chris

Indeed. I even collected some of that older equipment to try and recreate those feelings, but no luck. Too many miles since then.

Did you try collecting some of the old friends and giving that a try? I did. Works to a degree...but most have lost the ability to listen to anything but their own voices, a cell phone, or the TV.

Dave

your lucky. But it's all good except my wife can't distinguish between a boom box and a good stereo.

I work on my young sons little by little, listening to music as we do is an art form not so different than attending a play or concert in which one truly emmerses themselves in the format/show/venue. I try my best to nurture their curiosity and show them the difference in background or overly processed music for portable devices so they can learn to appreciate music as it should be. We are and always will be a minority but this is one minority that I'm happy to be part of[Y]