3D Printer - Any potential impact on the audio business?

Boxx

Referring to the main title of this thread what is 3D audio?

Prototyping horns, for one...

I supposed you could also prototype phase plugs for compression drivers, but the density, moduli, and celerity of the material may be an issue.

You could also use it to fabricate acoustic diffusers, like the quasi-random block type of diffusers of differing lengths, but the per-unit cost might be a bit high.

Chris

This technology may be different and slightly better, but I doubt it's anything revolutionary.............I can't watch the video from here due to our security.

I know a couple of others with that attitude. I don't really understand it. Just putting Lego out of business (which it will, and many others) is pretty revolutionary. And when some freak figures out a way to filter and recycle the material such that you put one in the kitchen to produce and recycle bowls, plates, utensils, and such that will be pretty unprecedented.

First thing that came to my mind was how many expensive devices I've trashed over the years because one small plastic gear, lever, or part broke that I could easily fix with a replicator.

What I've learned over the years is that it isn't the things one thinks of immediately that determine the impact of a new technology, it's the thinks you DON'T think off.

If there is one thing completely unprecedented and a real game changer, it's the experiments using a variant of the same technology to build tissue and organs.

Now, your mileage may vary, but I find "revolutionary" to be understatement for that.

Dave

Look at the replacement value in changing out heavier parts for parts durable enough to fulfill the role of said parts.

There can be positive tradeoffs when factoring in weight to power ratios. The light yet durable carbon can magnify the power to weight by an exponential amount.

Safe to say at this point a game changer. A think out of the same old box technology.

If there's an enterprising funeral home they could try to revive that Victorian rite of making death masks. It would be exceedingly simple and fast using on of these things.

Hadn't got that far in my thinking. Boggles the mind.

..then just print a few more of them....

Shh. Don't give up the game! [;)][:P]

Seriously though. This technology is not in its infancy. Another 5 to 8 years and SMT will be considered "old school" in the consumer market, as many common discrete electronic components (transistors, resistors, diodes, inductors) are now literally printed onto their substrates.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_electronics for a quick primer.

FYI - The latest Quintet housing and Palladium horn assemblies were prototyped using 3D printing. [Y]

No way I can spend enough words to suggest the context or how the conversion came to happen, but at the Offshore Technolgies Conference today I was talking to an engineer for FMC Technologies about their display, which was extraordinary in having a massive multi-user touchscreen that allowed one to focus in on and manipulate 3D solids in real time. I asked about their actual "solid" models and he said they were 3D printed by a vendor in Houston. I mentioned how hot the technology was and he volunteered that his wife was in the medical area and that Baylor and a couple of others working together had managed to 3D print a working human pancreas. As at type 1 diabetic, this got my attention. He says it hasn't yet been announced.

While I believe this quite possible and inevitable, I admit skepticism for the moment. OTOH, he had no reason to lie as a vendor of offshore oil equipment who knew nothing about me so I cannot help but hope.

Dave

No way I can spend enough words to suggest the context or how the conversion came to happen, but at the Offshore Technolgies Conference today I was talking to an engineer for FMC Technologies about their display, which was extraordinary in having a massive multi-user touchscreen that allowed one to focus in on and manipulate 3D solids in real time. I asked about their actual "solid" models and he said they were 3D printed by a vendor in Houston. I mentioned how hot the technology was and he volunteered that his wife was in the medical area and that Baylor and a couple of others working together had managed to 3D print a working human pancreas. As at type 1 diabetic, this got my attention. He says it hasn't yet been announced.

While I believe this quite possible and inevitable, I admit skepticism for the moment. OTOH, he had no reason to lie as a vendor of offshore oil equipment who knew nothing about me so I cannot help but hope.

Dave

It does indeed sound hopeful...maybe they will announce before long.

Dave

It does indeed sound hopeful...maybe they will announce before long.
I'm certain that there are already some who are prepared to take this "new technology" head on regarding potential "ethics" questions.

If this is what I believe it to be, it may well be a chance for some to live a healthier, better quality of life. Cannot recall now but, was there much protest when an artificial heart was first being used?

In regards to all the below, as a person who could use a nice working pancreas I frankly have no ethical, relgious, or scientifc issues with whupping one right out of a printer and putting it to work.

As to rejection, I've already rejected the one I have so I don't really worry over that.

Dave

In regards to all the below, as a person who could use a nice working pancreas I frankly have no ethical, relgious, or scientifc issues with whupping one right out of a printer and putting it to work.

As to rejection, I've already rejected the one I have so I don't really worry over that.

Dave

It sounds promising. All the best. The technology while not ubiquitous, has yet to fully explore every given theme, within reasonable application. Reasonable here is to what good, or to whose advantage. To be stricken with an affliction where there is an artificial fix, as opposed to an organ, is quite possibly on a horizon. However for the recipient who is directly effected, if such a device were to occur, they would have a unique option.