Pioneer SX 680

I have always had newer Pioneer Elite receivers. I don't really know how any other brand or style of amp/receiver sounds on my Forte's. I recently came across a listing for a Pioneer SX 680. I did a little research and realize it is not a "powerhouse" but is pretty old and may potentially have a warmer sound than the newer stuff I have owned.

Is it worth my time to pick this thing up for $75.00 just to hear the difference? I am not by any means expecting an upgrade. What are the differences I should expect?

At this age you may have to put some money into it to make everything right. I own a bit of the older stuff and usually have it tuned up for costs exceeding the asking price of particular unit. I would certainly listen prior to buying if you decide to. I find 30w more than enough for my set of heritage speakers

.................Taz

I have a Pioneer SX 680 that I'm using for my Quartets. I absolutely LOVE this thing. To me it matches up very well with Klipsch. It may not be rated as a powerhouse, like you said, but I tell you what, you don't need to turn this thing up much past low before it really starts to kick!! I bought mine from the original owner. He took excellent care of it. He did have it in storage for the last 8 years. So it needed some cleaning. It's very simple to take apart. I gave mine a good dusting on the inside. Then I bought some Dexoit from Radio Shack and cleaned all the pots. I couldn't be happier with it. I also hooked up an airport express to mine so I could stream music from my iPhone. I would say go for it. Especially for $75.00. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

you guys are right on here, the sx will give a fuller, richer, warmer sound than the new digital stuff. The 680 is the baby, but any sx hooked to heritage is awesome, 90% of klipsch dealers in the day sold pioneer and usually Mcintosh, their truly a great match. If I were the op I would consider keeping an eye on cl for one of the big brothers, alot of the sx freaks like the 50 series better than the 80"s, suposedly easier to obtain parts and work on. I have all the 50"s and 80"s except for the 9"s, op, look for one of these 4.......sx850 & 80, or sx950 & 80. You should be able to acquire one for under 200, and then if you drop a hun having it gone thru your still good, you will have something that will last forever and deliver better sound than any digital stuff, and that silver is just beautiful. You will thank ole Roost in the end.........Roost

One more thing, I bought an Onkyo dock for my ipod and hooked it to the aux port on a sx850 for my daughters room, the dock has a video out and I had a 15in lcd lyin around so I hooked it to the dock also and you can pull your playlist up on the tv and scroll through it with the remote from the onkyo. Running it through that old pioneer takes the edge off that shyt music they listen to and makes it half-*** tolerable lol, and it keeps the ipod charged, worth the 120 bucks for sure........Roost