Anyone listening to single speaker mono these days?

haven't been doing anything in mono. s. guttenberg mentions the Beatles CD Box set in mono. That was sort of a head scratcher to me. Didn't consider buying it, but remember getting some Beatles albums in mono back in the day.

When I picked up my Aristocrat mono speaker and a Speakercraft, I was after that nostalgic sound. Too bad I was not able to talk seller into letting me buy his Mcintosh mono amp. It was very small and cannot recall model # but, yes the old monaural sounded good. As well as some jazz/blues RTR I found here with a Sony player. It sounds wonderful to me. Have not listened for a couple of years now.

• Moderators

I once thought I had mono for an entire year. Turns out I was just really bored.

A whole year [:o]

I listened to half of mono once, a wire had come loose on one speaker.

haven't been doing anything in mono. s. guttenberg mentions the Beatles CD Box set in mono. That was sort of a head scratcher to me. Didn't consider buying it, but remember getting some Beatles albums in mono back in the day.

The beatles mono set is the only mono listening that I have done in 40 years. I actually like the mono mix better than the stereo. The stereo mixes where done from the mono masters - at least for the older stuff. I think that the stereo mix on a lot of the early beatles is a little too severe

JMHO

Josh

I listen to music. Stereo is dual channel mono and cannot and does not deliver anything like reality. The quality of any recording is all about the music and performance first, and the engineering second, and whether it's mono, stereo, or X channel surround last.

In any event, one's system works when, regardless of how many speakers and channels you have, the source material plays back precisely as it was recorded. If you need a single speaker system to play back mono it's because your system isn't working right.

I'll stand on that statement.

Dave

I listen to music. Stereo is dual channel mono and cannot and does not deliver anything like reality. The quality of any recording is all about the music and performance first, and the engineering second, and whether it's mono, stereo, or X channel surround last.

In any event, one's system works when, regardless of how many speakers and channels you have, the source material plays back precisely as it was recorded. If you need a single speaker system to play back mono it's because your system isn't working right.

I'll stand on that statement.

Dave

It is that kind of thinking that may have taken us from mono to stereo. Since mono was ruling the day, no stereo to blame for not playing mono correctly.

I bought a beat up La Scala from a guy who was just using it to listen to it out on his front porch and he was running it mono and bi-amped.

I would like to do the same thing with it at my place. He did something with the AA network so he could bi-amp it.......[*-)]

I put on old AA network and hooked it up like this to an old Marantz 2238b I ran wire from the + side of the right channel and the - side of the left channel to the network and it sounds fine. That might not be the best or even correct way to hook it up but it works.

runninshine, that sounds like a quick and easy way to biamp a single LaScala.

I don't know what better results could be achieved with something else. If you need to adjust the signal to the HF relative to the LF you could just use the 'balance' control.