RF-42 II Floorstanding frontstage with Quintet surrounds?

Jjays

Hey, I'm setting up a new HT in my studio apartment and I don't have a lot of space. This will be a 5.1 with 50/50 music/movies, some tv and xbox. Room is approx 13x19x8.

I'm planning on going with a pair of RF-42 II Floorstanding Speakers and a RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker to cover my frontstage.

However, I don't think I have the room for the suggested RS-41 II Surround Speakers, so I was wondering if I could just use a pair of small satellites, like the Quintets, instead for my rears?

I know they won't match the timber of my fronts, but will it be a big enough of a difference to throw off my receiver and sub? Will equalizing this be a pain? Will my ears hate me?

Also, would a Onkyo TX-NR616 or Denon AVR-1913 be sufficient to power this system?

Your help appreciated.

first off welcome! as a proud owner of the whole rf-42ii Home theater i can say for their price point and size they are great speakers. however if you have been looking at their msrp and are budgeting for that then i can assure you you can afford higher models. what you should do for pricing is to google acoustic sound design, give them a call and ask for mike. he will most likely answer the phone. ask about whatever speakers you want to know about. that is a good size room to fill so as an owner of those speakers a well as an rf-52 home theater and a rf-62 home theater, i can assure you the best bang for your buck would be a pair of rf-62ii's with a rc-62ii for your front soundstage. then your rears you can figure out how big you can fit. i will say the rs-41's will be a better speaker than the quintet for sure but if you don't have enough room we understand. you could maybe look into the rb-41ii's to keep things timbre matched? also if you will be going 5.1 you can save your money and stick with the denon 1713. much better options on it as it is fully loaded 5.1 vs being stripped of a few features to gain the 7.1 channels. also to save a few extra bucks and maybe put them towards the speakers you can look into refurbished units from accesroies4less.com you can get a denon 1713 from them for dirt cheap and put them extra bucks towards the front stage if you can fit them. also if you have lots of patients then their are great deals in used speakers and your dollars will go much further. any more questions let us know. this is a great community

Thanks for replying to my post. I appreciate your tips, especially about the receiver.

You mention getting a bigger set of speakers. I was trying to fit my center channel inside the front of a 20"x7.5" shelf just beneath my TV. Could I pair a RC-42 with a set of RF-52s for the frontstage? The Klipsch website is recommending the RF-42s for a small or medium room. What exactly qualifies as a small, medium, or large room? My preferred budget was around $1500 US by the way. Although I could certainly go over that if I really wanted to, although this would be my first setup and it's going in my living room. I would probably go with refurbished or open boxed gear, at least for the receiver.

if you want your center tucked away then the rc-42ii is small enough to fit in most entertainment center. i mention getting a bigger set cause once you get to the rf-62ii's they really are a MUCH larger sound speaker.

you could pair the rc-42ii if you wanted with the rf-52ii's but i wouldn't recommend it just because i have owned both of them and besides a little extra bottom end they really sound the same. hardly any difference at all. but once you step up the 62, it has a much larger horn resulting in a much larger, full bodied sound.

is there anyway you can set your center channel on top of your entertainment center? and wall mount your tv? that's what i had to do to get my rc-62 on my stand, but i like it better like that anyway.

you can google to see what classifies as small-large rooms. and 1500 can probably get you the three front speakers no problem. now if 1500 is your budget for the whole thing including sub and receiver and you want everything up front well then you can go with a package from acoustic sound design. i think the advertised price on the rf-42ii set with a free bic pl-200 sub is 1200. i think last time i called mike you can get that set for 1000$ shipped to you door. then add accessories 4 less denon 1713 in the mix that puts you at 1300$ that leaves you 200 for speaker wire, hdmi, sub cables, and any other things you might have forgot.

so that would put you right in your budget for everything with the smaller home theater. where are you located? maybe you can demo these speakers somewhere or at a members house? most will let you come have a listen if you are looking to buy some new klipsch speakers. if you are close to missouri i can let you hear the differences between the 42, 52, 62 towers.

• Moderators

My preferred budget was around $1500

I've always been a big fan of used just because your money goes MUCH farther. I paid less than 1/2 of your budget for my RF-7's, RC-7, Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and Rotel 2ch amp (yes it probably helps that I live in Florida). My RF-7's are minty with no broken grill pegs, RC-7 has some small scratches, Yamaha looks brand new. The deals are out there if you are patient.

Welcome to the forums.

Room dimensions are 13x19x8, with two 3' openings on both sides of a 9' wall where my 52" TV is positioned.

My couch is pushed against my wall for 11' viewing distance. I live in a rented space, I don't know if my building management would allow me to wall mount a HDTV, otherwise I would place the speaker above my media stand. Maybe I'll just buy a new stand.

I live in Seattle. I was able to listen to both the RF's and Polks at a Frys and few different systems at Best Buy.

I liked the sound of the RF 42's, of course I just don't know how they would fill my space compared to what I heard in Fry's showroom.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

Maybe I'll just buy a new stand.

You could place your TV on top of the center channel. That's what I did in my son's bedroom. I just put a towel between the 32" TV and the speaker to prevent scratching.

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-7-Bedroom1.jpg

Just get a nice subwoofer or two to go with the RF42's and you will be amazed of the impact of the HT.

like i said the rf-42ii home theater is great. but if you are after higher volumes and want to future proof a bit then buying larger at first will save you from wanting to upgrade in the future. i loved for the size of the 42's how they sounded at frys when i lived in san diego. thought they were great. and i had to have them. but i also have a much larger home theater as well. so for me having both systems is perfect. but if i was only gonna have a single system i would have shot for the rf-62ii home theater with whatever rears you can accommodate.

but if you are after higher volumes and want to future proof a bit then buying larger at first will save you from wanting to upgrade in the future

Scrappydue and youthman are right.. The deals are out there and you will want to upgrade! This stuff is worse than meth. You said your budget is 1500. I got 2 RF52II, 2 RS42II and RC-62II from Sound distributors for 1,300 delivered. While I am happy with my system I already want to upgrade. I am starting with my components first then my speakers. So save yourself time and money and go as big and as good as you can.. IMHO..

Qty Part No Name Options Price Total
1 2 RF52II, RC62II, 2 RS42II KLIPSCH SPEAKERS $1,300.00 $1,300.00
Sub Total: $1,300.00
Shipping Type: UPS - Ground & Insurance rate.
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $1,300.00

• Moderators

That's what I did in my son's bedroom

Thats your sons room? That system is better than mine!

Yes, he was 12 when we began building his 2ch setup. Started with CF2, then B&W DM 602 then the RF-7 and then added the RC-7. He's one of those kids that everything in his room has to be in its place and he makes his bed every morning. His speakers will remain in as good of condition as when I bought them. He's 14 now.