Who DOESN'T need high-end electronics?

IOWs, it didn't exactly suck.

...But yet, you continued on from there. Why? Where do you see yourself stopping, if at all?

It would seem that's where my goals diverge from perhaps the majority of the forum. I'm not here to see how much gear I can personally sift through in my lifetime. I'll only get one or two opportunities to seriously plunk down for this hobby. Like a large scale engineering project, I'm compelled to make things absolutely count. Adhering to Deming's PDCA methodology, it has taken but only a few minor iterations to achieve those goals.

I know what I want, and I'm quite certain of what I need to get there. There is a lot less to fuss over when you're locked directly onto what you're seeking out in the first place. I've often been waiting in the grass for the right technologies to finally hit the market and settle down. Beyond that, I'd rather explore the vast expanse of a system's performance envelope once everything is finally brought together. That's where I've determined my time well spent...that, and savoring the end result of course. [H]

Some people run LaScalas with an HT receiver. So, what do you think might sound subjectively better?

Danley SH-50 / 46, or Frazier CAT 66 / 56 dependent upon choice of sub, number of channels desired, and electronics used.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem that's where my goals diverge from perhaps the majority of the forum. I'm not here to see how much gear I can personally sift through in my lifetime. I'll only get one or two opportunities to seriously plunk down for this hobby. Like a large scale engineering project, I'm compelled to make things absolutely count. Adhering to Deming's PDCA methodology, it has taken but only a few minor iterations to achieve those goals.

I think the majority of folks here just want a better system, not spend lots of money trying out everything. I went from '72 to 2005 with a pair of JBL 4311s. I was hanging out on the forums right after they started, because I had heard a pair of Dennis' (djk) LaScala clones in the early '80s and was blown away. He would know the exact date if you asked him.

My son and I were looking to build a pair of those clones, but could never swing it. He bought me a pair of HIIs, and I later got the LS I have now. As Dean said, a pair of better mid horns, and I'm really good to go.

The larger problem here may possibly be that we are enablers. Most on here wouldn't be going through as much gear if they weren't on the forums. I would probably still be listening to my JBLs and been happy. I'm still very happy, but I know when to stop. It's not like I need over 20 pair of CHorus II like some on here have acquired.

Bruce

Yes - A better system for not a lot of money is the holy grail. Getting there, however, is the Bataan death march... My technique has been to shop (in order of preference) garage sales, Craigslist, and eBay. That way, when I get something that doesn't really work for me, I can part company with it at minimum loss (and sometimes at a small profit). Unfortunately, I sometimes find & sell things that I wish I'd kept...

One further thought...

I've been at the audio hobby most of my adult life. Now, at 60 years of age, I have very, very few years left to enjoy it before presbyacusis sets in and it all becomes academic. I'm now at a point where the cost of the hobby becomes significantly less bothersome, but the enjoyment of it becomes increasingly precious. That being the case, I'm willing to expend resources that were previously impossible to even contemplate to get as much enjoyment as I can from my hobby while I can.

Younger enthusiasts are typically unable to contemplate the types of budgets that I can. Youth (in audio as well as in many other things) is wasted on the young... Also, don't think that I'm just a rich old fart who wants to blow money on his hobby; I never could have contemplated being this affluent when I was young. It happens, though, that almost ALL of us accumulate wealth over the course of our lives. Most who reach my age now have more disposable income than when they were younger. There are many exceptions, I realize, but my pattern is the norm.

Therefore, I'm moving into a "give me results regardless of cost" mode here. Not to say that I'm eager to waste money, but I will spend to achieve my goals.

That being the case, I'm willing to consider things that I don't strictly "need" in order to achieve the sound that I want to hear. I've posted two other threads regarding electronics and modifications for my Cornwalls should anyone be so kind as to chime in.

Cordially - Boomzilla

I have found the best way to shop for a system is to go listen. Listen to different speakers, different setups, different people, until you find something in your sweet spot. For me "best" also incorporates only spending money a couple times, rather than gear rolling an infinite amount of times.

There are multiple great amps, preamps, turntables, cd players, and speakers. Get what you want within your budget, and learn to love it. The next great thing may be just that, but all it is is a different sound. Figure out what your sweet spot is by using other people and their systems to help you discern the average, the good, the great, and what you love - and then move on what you love.

I have discovered solid speakers will take me a lot further than spending large amounts on electronics. B line speakers and gear in an "A" prepared room can astound. You don't need Wilson Alexandrias with Krell, Cello, Continuum, and $20K in cables if you work hard, buy wisely, and integrate system, room, and listening position while keeping spouse and family happy.

Agreed. The two "best" speakers I've ever had in my listening room are radically different - A pair of vintage La Scalas (with a DefTech subwoofer) and a pair of Theil 3.6 speakers with a 300 wpc dread-naught solid-state amp. Both could satisfy! Oh - AND a pair of Magneplanars (don't remember model).

Younger enthusiasts are typically unable to contemplate the types of budgets that I can. Youth (in audio as well as in many other things) is wasted on the young... Also, don't think that I'm just a rich old fart who wants to blow money on his hobby; I never could have contemplated being this affluent when I was young. It happens, though, that almost ALL of us accumulate wealth over the course of our lives. Most who reach my age now have more disposable income than when they were younger. There are many exceptions, I realize, but my pattern is the norm.

Couldn't agree more. In fact because I could afford anything now, its way more fun to see how much bang for the buck I can get. The learning never stops and that's a good thing, even if I don't buy anything. Following this thread makes it apparent that several of us have a bit of passion about this hobby. I neither take this hobby for granted nor get too serious about it. What I really enjoy is throwing things out there that stimulates the trained and experienced amongst us to share their knowledge and experience.

[:D]

...The conclusion of this ramble: Consider carefully what you need and what you don't before allocating a significant portion of your audio budget to amplification. It is VERY easy to spend a great deal of money for amplification capabilities that you don't need and may never use.

No. You select your components purely for sound quality. Sometimes that means mega bucks and sometimes not. Big amps work, little amps work, but don't fool yourself that you won't ever like the sound of a big amp until you try it.

...Big amps work, little amps work, but don't fool yourself that you won't ever like the sound of a big amp until you try it.

Hi russ69

Agreed wholeheartedly. That said, how many opportunities do we ever have to listen to various amps? Most people get to choose between one or two, and then they're most often AV receivers rather than real amplifiers. Yes, you'll know "better" when you hear it, but if you never get to hear it...

If you never post where you live, and never come to any gatherings or join any audio clubs and societies, you are never going to hear too much. Our local audio society has had over twenty listening sessions so far this year.

Self fulfilling negative situations are never good things.

If you never post where you live, and never come to any gatherings or join any audio clubs and societies, you are never going to hear too much. Our local audio society has had over twenty listening sessions so far this year...

Agreed - Alas, there IS no local audio club or society here. I DO maintain season tickets to the local symphony and attend frequent music performances at the local university. My daughter is also a concert violinist and my son-in-law a pianist. Real music in real space - I'm familiar with.

Maybe it's time to FORM a local audio society and see who else is interested?

Hi russ69

Agreed wholeheartedly. That said, how many opportunities do we ever have to listen to various amps? Most people get to choose between one or two, and then they're most often AV receivers rather than real amplifiers. Yes, you'll know "better" when you hear it, but if you never get to hear it...

You have to get out and about. Audio shows are always interesting. The only other way and the best way is to spend some money and try out different stuff.