Yamaha B-2X vs Yamaha MX-1000U

Greetings all,

So I was doing some investigating and some reading up on the vintage Yamaha amps. I own a Yamaha MX-2000 and think its a fantastic amp. Better than the Bryston 4BE's I own in my opinion. I also have heard and read the rave reviews about the Yamaha M-80, M-85, & MX-1000 amplifiers, and have always wanted to get a pair of the MX1000U's. the MX10000 would reign supreme of course. I also however, have read in some forums that people believe the Yamaha B-2X is one of Yamaha's greatest amps of the era. Has anyone here had the opportunity to hear both of these amps? Similarities/differences/strengths/weaknesses etc? Go!

post-44787-13819853986688_thumb.jpg

I have seen the B-2X sell on Ebay. The MX-1000 is a beast at 260 watt/ch. I think all the Yamaha amps from that era are all great amps. That was a time when they were first introduced to the US market. The Yamaha engineers were not held back on using the best parts and the build quality was superb. I think either amp would be a real joy to own. I run an M 80 and M 70 and the SQ is excellent. The beauty of the vintage amp is their simplicity to use. I have heard some of the expensive amps in real high end audio shops and left with the feeling that my Yammies are excellent amps and can hang with the biggest of the boys.

These amps have been compared to Krell, Mark Levison and Mc Intosh That in it's self says a lot. Since they are vintage, they may need a little tender loving care.

I have a heard that the B-2x is a little softer sounding and doesnt sound like S.S., and some say it isn't as clean sounding as the mx1000. I have a mx1000u and it is a very nice amp, of the big amps I have had in my system it is a clear winner.. top to bottom it sounds very good. The only thing I dont like are all the switches and buttons and volume controls... If you go with the mx1000 make sure it is a u model, they have larger power supplies. I have read the 1000 can handle a 1 ohm load...

Interesting.. Its such a shame that they stopped building such incredible amplifiers. I found an MX-600 (125 watt, similar to the MX1000) for $25. This was after I had read so much about the MX-1000 and wanted to get my feet wet a little with those big red meters. Unfortunately the right channel has some distortion... So I will be going into surgery in the next couple weeks to see whats up. A buddy of mine who owns a pair of Krell FPB 350mc monos also owns a pair of the Yamaha MX-1000U's which he has as he calls "beast moded" them with upgrades, and says that the Yamaha's are right up there as well.. He was gonna sell me his Yammies but I ended up finding a pair of threshold SA/6e monos and havent looked back. But after coming across the MX1000 again a couple years later, its got me thinking again... I too have read about the U version and my buddy has also greatly urged me to read into them over the non-U version. I've since learned more about power supplies than my mind can handle! haha Thanks for the replies. Keep em comin!

Yamaha has made some high-end amps more recently. I'm using a pair of MX-D1 amps to bi-amp my JubScalas, and the sound is great. If you can find one of those, I think you would be pleased and impressed, both with the sound and with the build quality.

The MX-D1s are marked "Stereo" and "Digital", but they're not really stereo, they're dual-mono, with a separate power supply for each channel. They're also not really digital, since they're Class D, which is an analogue type of amp architecture.

However the amps are described, the sound is very detailed and pleasant to listen to, with lots of headroom for peaks and transients. All the instruments are clearly located in space. It seems like it's possible to hear further back into the stage than usual.

I have not heard the B-2X or the MX-1000U, nor any tube amps, but the MX-D1 is reputed to have a "tubey" sound. They sound good to me.

Currently, the Yamaha line-up in Europe seems to have a bigger selection than what we see here in North America, as well as a quality CD player.

The MX-D1. The two power supplies are visible in the section to the far left. The insulated WBT binding posts are visible at the top.

The black bars across the right upper centre are the two heat sinks, which gives an indication of the efficiency of the amp. It makes 500 watts per channel, but generates little heat. Unlike pro audio amps, which are designed to sound best when putting out near maximum power, the MX-D1 has its lowest distortion when operating in the 6-10 watt range, making it ideal for use with high-sensitivity speakers. It produces clean sound at low power, with enough headroom to make any kind of music sound realistic.

post-23736-13819854437062_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...

Hi, I happened to fall into a deal. A friend of mine who owns a pawn shop had an amp on the shelf. $850. He said I can go $750. I thought wow that's pricey, must be a good amp. He says I don't even know if it works, but if it doesn't bring it back. I said let me think on it. 6mos. go by and then out of the blue he calls me and says he's selling the shop. If I want that amp it'll cost me $360+ tax came our to $384 or so. I bought it.  Checked it out worked perfectly. This amp was the Yamaha Mx1000 U.  True story, happened July 2022

Edited by Tanguma
Miss letters
  • Like 2