Any 3D blu ray player suggestions?

themrclean

I have been using my PS3 for my blu rays since my LG player died a little while back. My PS3 is now on it's last leg and the fan is so loud that I think the neighbors hear it sometimes. I have thought about just getting another PS3 but don't want to buy one with the new PS4 coming out by the end of the year. Plus, my LG player had better picture quality anyway. My thoughts were any decent blu ray player will have a better picture the sony, but now I'm not so sure.

So I ordered the Oppo BDP-103 a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be the greatest thing ever just to find out how wrong I was. The picture quality isn't even as good as my son's $40 LG player we bought at Walmart's Black Friday sale. Motion looks very slurred and weird on it. For instance, anything with words on it in a moving picture you can't even read. I have horrible crosstalk on 3D. I have done A/B comparisons to my PS3, my son's el cheapo player and the Oppo loses every time. The Oppo hass amazing sound quality and it looks nice in my signature and sitting my shelf but that is about it.

The other day I ordered a refurbished $300 Samsung 3D player for $60 dollars which got great reviews so I thought that would work. I hooked it up yesterday and in the set up menu where you put in the size of your screen for the 3D only has room for two digits so 99" was the largest I could use even though my screen is 120". That didn't matter anyway though because when I put in a 3D blu ray the player said the my display didn't support 3D even though it does and no setting that I could change would let me play 3D.

All I need is a 3D player with good picture quality, good sound quality, and one that doesn't screw up the 3D image without spending a million dollars. I have spent hours reading reviews on players and I can't figure out which one to buy. Any help please!!

did you try calling oppo's support? i have a hard time believing that a 40$ LG player would beat any oppo? not that I'm saying your not right just saying something doesn't sound right??

I did and they said that I shouldn't expect it to look any better than any blu ray player and that the PS3 should actually look better on animated material because of the different type of processing.

So I ordered the Oppo BDP-103 a couple of weeks ago thinking it would be the greatest thing ever just to find out how wrong I was. The picture quality isn't even as good as my son's $40 LG player we bought at Walmart's Black Friday sale. Motion looks very slurred and weird on it. For instance, anything with words on it in a moving picture you can't even read. I have horrible crosstalk on 3D. I have done A/B comparisons to my PS3, my son's el cheapo player and the Oppo loses every time.

Make sure you are not getting double or even triple video processing(player, projector, display). It would most likely degrade picture quality considerably.

Just a thought.

Bill

My jaw hit the floor.

Perhaps an older Oppo if you aren't scorned. I like mine, and my screen is about the same size as yours. Could it be that all the positive reviews caused sale to skyrocket which in turn caused quality and support to plummet? Are they outsourcing now??

Sad. . .

Have often thought about Oppo, Denon, & other top players. What holds me back is this: for the price of 1 of them, you can buy, 2, 4, or even more of the top of the line Panasonic, Sony et Cetera, & keep the latest model every year, for at least 2 years & with technology improvements. I've got 3 $800 players, 2 still work as designed, but my $100 LG is better than them.

Some people can afford the latest & greatest of all the above, but many more can't. So for those with limited budgets. .

The Oppo has more options than any other player. It is not a plug and play system. You can tell it what version of hdmi standard to transmit, you can force it to send signals in any odd ball native resolutions and refresh rates.

In my case, I have a really old 1080P projector. The player I used that was made at the same time period of my projector worked great. My problems were that I could not get any NEW BluRay players to work properly with my OLD projector. The Oppo and all of its features let me dial in the Oppo output to match my projectors input. I think you need to learn the capabilities of your projector, then dial in the Oppo. All the new BluRay Players are made to work with brand new TV sets. The other huge problem is all the changes in the HDMI standards. Modern HDMI is 2 way communications. You need to turn all that 2 way crap off when plugged into older TV's and Projectors.

JM

I am definitely sending it back. I am just not sure if I want to try another one or just move on to another player. If it is just a defective player and I could get another one and it not have the same issues I would be happy. At the same time, if I can save $300 or so and get the same or better picture quality I would definitely rather do that. The unit seems to be built like a tank which I like, and from what I've read these things last forever. That's why I bought it in the first place. I unhooked it completely when I got my UMC-200 and Samsung refurb the other day. I wonder if it is worth hooking it up through the UMC-200 and not run my Directv through it so I can use the other HDMI. I might give that a try tomorrow as a last resort before sending it back. If I am not running the Directv through it and I will probably never play a standard DVD on the player then it shouldn't matter which HDMI out I use since I will not need to upconvert anything with the Marvel processing. Maybe that will help, worth a try at least.

Good luck on your search. If you are just looking for basic read and dump of BR playback the low end units will work. What the Oppo is best at is 4x upscaling and processing. Yes the low end players have a clear picture but the Oppo adds much more subtile color details in the playback. Honesly, I have retired 3 Sony players, a Dennon, a Toshiba and a Samsung. Nothing has come close to what my Oppo can produce. I am really having a hard time believing you are not having some sort of technical dificulty with maybe a bad HDMI cable or maybe your projectors scaler has malfunctioned.

That is odd about the oppo. When I hooked mine up I thought that the picture looked sharper than the PS3, as did my wife. I'd give it another shot, if the same thing happens, it has to be something else in the chain that is messing with the picture.