How to treat Cornwall 3 cabinets for better bass?

Boomzilla

To date, other speakers that have been used in the EXACT SAME LOCATIONS of the room with excellent bass results include:

• Thiel 1.6
  • Thiel 3.6
  • Klipsch La Scala 1
  • Klipsch La Scala 2
  • Klipsch Cornwall 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 2
  • KEF 2-way bookshelfs on stands (don't recall models)
  • Definitive Technology SM65 monitors on stands
  • Dayton Audio 2-way 6.5 inch monitors on stands
  • And at least a half-dozen others that I forget

The ONLY speakers that have sounded sloppy, boomy, and without pitch definition are the Cornwall 3 speakers. Now is it the room, or is it the "rumble boxes?"

To date, other speakers that have been used in the EXACT SAME LOCATIONS of the room with excellent bass results include:

• Thiel 1.6
  • Thiel 3.6
  • Klipsch La Scala 1
  • Klipsch La Scala 2
  • Klipsch Cornwall 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 2

The ONLY speakers that have sounded sloppy, boomy, and without pitch definition are the Cornwall 3 speakers. Now is it the room, or is it the "rumble boxes?"

That's interesting that the Cornwall 1 had acceptable bass and the Cornwall 3 doesn't in the same location.

• Thiel 1.6
  • Thiel 3.6
  • Klipsch La Scala 1
  • Klipsch La Scala 2
  • Klipsch Cornwall 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 1
  • Klipsch Heresy 2

That's interesting that the Cornwall 1 had acceptable bass and the Cornwall 3 doesn't in the same location.

I think he should sell the house, it's not Klipsch friendly, heheheheheheeh.

• Haha 2

Alas, the Cornwall 3s are headed for that big speaker junkyard in the sky (aka eBay). Try as I might, I just never could get them to sing sweetly in my room. Is it the speaker, the room, the electronics, or the doofus listener? We may never know. What is clear without a doubt is that as good as the Cornwall 3s might be, they just aren't a speaker for everyman. My experience yet again reinforces the truism "try it before you buy it."

My next three potential candidates are Heresys on stands with a sub, PSB Synchrony Ones, or Magnepan 1.7s with a sub. I'll try ALL extensively before making a choice, and in my room with my electronics.

THANK YOU to all who have posted suggestions and information on this thread. I appreciate you taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge. I've learned some things from the thread, for sure, and have enjoyed the experience.

Cordially - Boomzilla

I am sorry that it did not work out for you. I used to have Cornwalls powered by a re-capped Adcom GFA 555. Although there were minor problems in the midrange, the bass was certainly solid, clean and authoratative. Others share a similar experience which is why many of were surprised by your comments.

Anyhow, good luck on your next step

Having intact cabinet integrity would be nice. At least one, if not both, cabinets were dropped on the rear corners from over five feet, that resulted in significant joinery splits that compromised their performance. No speaker will perform as designed if the cabinets, and/or woofer mounts are compromised. All this dancing around the real root cause is just obsfustication.

There is a big difference between a corner scratch and a corner drop. Differing people, differing observations.The Cornwall IIIs were redesigned for better bass than the Is and IIs, and Klipsch got it right.

I have seen plenty of speaker corner drops where performance was degraded, without ruptures. Magnets shift, demagnitize, start losing their flux, driver mounting screws get loose, corner seams get loose, glue seams pull and expand, cleat panel screws back out a thread or two. There is a lot that may be going on, depending on whether your "cosmetic damage" occured while in a shipping box, bare standing in place, or just having a tip over into a wall.

There are only a few people who know the story of how these corners got in their current condition. I note it as an res ipsa loquitur situation.

Well, excuse me, Dave - your statement didn't say "they might have been dropped," or "they appear to have been dropped," or even "in my opinion they've been dropped." Instead you said (and I quote): "At least one, if not both, cabinets were dropped on the rear corners from over five feet, that resulted in significant joinery splits that compromised their performance - period" I asked specifically if you had knowledge of this - it appears you don't.

Unless you're a physicist who knows the exact compression force required to compress Klipsch's plywood by a specific amount versus the force developed by acceleration during fall, then your "over five feet" theory is a complete, unsupported, and very silly guess. I'm supposing that your "I have seen plenty of speaker corner drops..." statement is similarly unsupported?

In fact, Dave, everything (repeat everything) that you've said is complete speculation on your part without a shred of evidence. That and a buck will buy you a cup of McCoffee.

The question I'd like for you to answer is just WHY you feel obligated to disparage my speakers, which you haven't seen, haven't heard, and know absolutely NOTHING about? Had you taken the trouble in the first place to say that you were speculating, I'd have taken no offense, but you didn't. You made a flat out, categorical statement that my speakers had been dropped over five feet and had suffered damages because of that. "Res ipsa loquitur" (the thing speaks for itself) applies to your statements Dave. Absolutely shameful.

Well, excuse me, Dave - your statement didn't say "they might have been dropped," or "they appear to have been dropped," or even "in my opinion they've been dropped." Instead you said (and I quote): "At least one, if not both, cabinets were dropped on the rear corners from over five feet, that resulted in significant joinery splits that compromised their performance - period" I asked specifically if you had knowledge of this - it appears you don't.

Unless you're a physicist who knows the exact compression force required to compress Klipsch's plywood by a specific amount versus the force developed by acceleration during fall, then your "over five feet" theory is a complete, unsupported, and very silly guess. I'm supposing that your "I have seen plenty of speaker corner drops..." statement is similarly unsupported?

In fact, Dave, everything (repeat everything) that you've said is complete speculation on your part without a shred of evidence. That and a buck will buy you a cup of McCoffee.

The question I'd like for you to answer is just WHY you feel obligated to disparage my speakers, which you haven't seen, haven't heard, and know absolutely NOTHING about? Had you taken the trouble in the first place to say that you were speculating, I'd have taken no offense, but you didn't. You made a flat out, categorical statement that my speakers had been dropped over five feet and had suffered damages because of that. "Res ipsa loquitur" (the thing speaks for itself) applies to your statements Dave. Absolutely shameful.

Yeah, that is kind of weird. I too thought Dave knew something about these particular speakers, that we were missing the whole time.

Strange! scratchheadyellow.gif

Dennie shrug.gif

Unless you're a physicist...

You are pretty close there. And you aren't too forthcoming on anything, except the top price you want after this thread of their poor performance. I have seen roaded Klipsch Cornwalls and La Scalas, and I have witnessed more corner drops, packed and unpacked, then I want to. There are multiple people here with lots of experience.We mainly do know scratch, rash, gouge, bruise, dent, prong, small corner drop, and free fall corner drop.

The first words out of my mouth when I saw the photos was "corner drop." Without scratches and gouges on the flat surfaces or other corners, it became "packed corner drop." Sorry if it is a wrong assessment, but you aren't going to convince too many people here otherwise without an actual explanation, which you seem not inclined to post. Monty Python might term it a "mere flesh wound." On the continuum between cosmetic and flesh wound, again we differ.

It won't matter for too much longer anyway. The Cornwalls are on EBay, and hopefully a new buyer will be deliriously happy with them.

There is a big difference between a corner scratch and a corner drop. Differing people, differing observations.The Cornwall IIIs were redesigned for better bass than the Is and IIs, and Klipsch got it right.

I have seen plenty of speaker corner drops where performance was degraded, without ruptures. Magnets shift, demagnitize, start losing their flux, driver mounting screws get loose, corner seams get loose, glue seams pull and expand, cleat panel screws back out a thread or two. There is a lot that may be going on, depending on whether your "cosmetic damage" occured while in a shipping box, bare standing in place, or just having a tip over into a wall.

There are only a few people who know the story of how these corners got in their current condition. I note it as an res ipsa loquitur situation.

Sorry Dave, you did have information on these speakers that I did not see yet.

You make a very solid point. yes.gif

Dennie

• 6 years later...

For what it is worth I just bought a pair of Cornwall IIIs and I have the same problem as the original poster.  And the guy I bought them from, who ordered them new,  only kept them 6 months, because I think he had the same issue. Mine are not damaged in any way. Doesn't someone sell a plug to block up the bass ports - I thought Crites or someone did - and might that help?

Edited by I'm listening
Misspell

Box size is similar to all Cornwalls before the III BUT the crossovers are not! Yes they changed when the mid horns changed but there was something missing in the bottom end, after all the box is almost identical so there really should not be any perceivable difference. Change the crossover to allow the woofer to do what it did in other models and you will notice a difference.

Cheers