1969 K-Horns. What's your opinion?

Serge_S

Found these K-Horns about 2 hrs away: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/3792973919.html

Does the age matter if they are in mint condition like that? I know original xovers may need to be refreshed, but are there differences between these and later models that would make the former less appealing. I am generally satisfied with my Forte II's and my room is small: 11.5’x14.5’, but....you know. Please chime in.

Thanks,

Serge

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge, like Dennie said, if you want k-horns you better RUN and make a deal for these. they are beautiful and you won't find a nicer set this close to you. if i wasn't getting a pair in florida these would already be in my house 5 days ago. 9 hours one way for me.

these will probaly go for more than 2250 on ebay because the buy it now went away with the firsrt bid

you have 2 days before they run out on ebay. RUN Serge RUN

and the best year for k-horns is the ones you personally own ( can't take credit for this line a forum member came up with this one )

my first choice in k-horns would be any year up to 1975 ( pie slice logo ) then the 76-77-78 ( laser logo )

Thank you Dennie, Russ, and juniper8. I am still deciding. I asked the owner of the shop HionFi that is selling them and he, being financially interested to sell, still told me that I should pass as my room is too small. I live in townhouse and the only wall I could use is 11' wall I share with my neighbors which means woofers will be firing directly at them. Still may go for it. Have one full day to agonize over a decision....

I live in townhouse and the only wall I could use is 11' wall I share with my neighbors which means woofers will be firing directly at them. Still may go for it. Have one full day to agonize over a decision....

FWIW, my K's are in the corners of an 11' wall at one end of my living room. True, they don't couple well with the room, but that's what I have to work with, and I think they sound very good. There is adequate room between them for a chair and end table.

Bass is very non-directional, but can travel easily and a long way through a wood frame building. Is that the situation with your building and neighbor's apt.? Concrete apt buildings are much better. If your music is bass-heavy and you like it loud, your neighborly concerns may be warranted.

Larry, I replied, but cannot find it so

will post again. I have 40 yo wood frame townhouse, so will reverberate

quite a bit. No plans on moving so I passed on this amazing deal.

I need to crank up my Forte's to hear any bass and was afraid that with K-horns

it will be the same situation. Lets face it Forte is better suited for

small rooms. But, I plan on sulking for coupla days anyway...

I tried since Saturday to get this guy to call me back . If I had known they were on Ebay with a BIN I would have bought them in a heartbeat . They were a perfect match for my 68 walnut laquer front mains and would have replaced my 81 walnut oil rears in my H/T .

Davis, I didn't know they were on ebay until someone posted a link to it above(they since removed it). Ebay add indicated the seller as hionfi so I looked it up and it ended up being a hifi shop specializing in vintage electronics, so I called the number on their webpage instead of the one on Craiglist and got the owner on the first try. Seemed like a nice guy. I could've just bought them right there and they would've delivered, but I asked his opinion and he thought they were too big for my room.

Serge

Davis, I didn't know they were on ebay until someone posted a link to it above(they since removed it). Ebay add indicated the seller as hionfi so I looked it up and it ended up being a hifi shop specializing in vintage electronics, so I called the number on their webpage instead of the one on Craiglist and got the owner on the first try. Seemed like a nice guy. I could've just bought them right there and they would've delivered, but I asked his opinion and he thought they were too big for my room.

Serge

I would agree,you were miss informed. I have a similar size room 11z15 have my k horns on the 11 foot wall I I think they sound nothing short of amazing.As far as the bass goes I find I get crisp detailed bass at all volume level If you get the opportunity to get another pair I would recommend go for it you can always resale latter if you are unhappy. Stacy

Thanks Stacy. That guy was not Klipsch expert, but he probably did me a favour. I have neighbors with a 1 yo kid on the other side of my paper thin wall and K-Horns could've been too much for them. "Neighbors having a baby changes everything". Besides, there were several other people who really wanted them and unlike me had no doubts. Those K-Horns should in all fairness belong to them. For now I'm gonna concentrate on modding and getting the best out of my fortes which I already like very much. Serge