RSW15 to SVS-CS Ultra

Dafishguy

Well folks, I went and did it... I am returning my RSW-15 Klipsch sub and getting dual SVS-CS Ultras with 1000 watt amp. After reading the reviews and running some of the test materials spoken about in the reviews, I decided I wanted lower bottom end then the RSW-15 can produce. The SVS-CS Ultra's reviews are very convincing so I ordered them. I sure hope I'm doing the right thing. (Very sorry Klipsch but if there was any way you could make the 15's go to a respectable 15-20 hrz I'm sure this choice would be a lot tougher)

What do the rest of you think?

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

More important than what we think is what you think about them when they arrive. After all, it's your money, and your ears!

You'll have all the reassurance you need when they show up at your door. Once you are done picking your bottom jaw off of the floor, you'll realize you made the right choice.

One more word of advice: Get friendly with your neighbors, if you are not already. Otherwise, you'll meet under less than ideal circumstancesSmile.gif

Let us know how it goes. I see big smiles in your future!

You are doing the right thing Rick.I have the reference set up like you and got the SVS Ultras. You will be very pleased. This is not to knock my beloved Klipsch in any way. I have Klipsch speakers all over the place. As a matter of fact AFTER I put the SVSs in my set up I purchased even MORE Klipsch speakers to accomodate the power of the SVS in my system. So everyone wins. And as far as your system goes. Take my advice I learned from YOGI."It ain't over till it's over" cwm4.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Yeah, if your ears (or, TheEAR's) aren't bleeding, its way too quiet.

I want a SuperSUB with 4, 50" woofers with 10" voice coils.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

not exactly that it is too much, which it is, but it is the value of the bass.

ppl that blast their subs are really blasting their whole systems. they have NO midrange and little to no treble in their systems, i know, i live in an area where they are as common as roofed houses. the bass is not even that low, just loud, not clean, not tuned, not pleasing, just loud.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Congratulations Dafishguy,

You are gonna have to give us a detailed description of your SVS experience, starting from ordering to complete setup. Some of us up here in Canada (well, me at least) are a little leary of making such a large purchase and shipping it across the border. I'm especially interested in how much it costs delivered to your door. I bet Canada Customs will want a large sum of money (as well as the broker to get them across).

I'm very interested in the CS-Ultra's as well. However, they are having big trouble passing the WAF (both looks and cost). I know I will not be able to get two of them, but I may be able to get one Ultra with a good sell. Unfortunately, I think a bathroom renovation (or two) will have to take place first.cwm10.gif

-PB

Hi pierceb,

Yes I will give a blow by blow once I receive them. Canada Customs doesn't want anything as this equipment is on the free trade list so no duty. However, I will have to pay 7% GST (Gouge & Screw Tax) and 6% Provincial tax once they hit my door. As well, UPS will want a chunk for clearing them. I have delt across the line before on major purchases and things worked out just fine. As for dealing with SVS, I placed the order yesterday morning and they shipped today. I'd say that's pretty good. I should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I will let you all know how it goes once I hook them up. I expect I'll need a new pair of shorts once I take a listen to these puppys. And to boot, I'm on holidays for the next two weeks. Yipeee.

Take care all and thanks for the encouraging words. It's not every day I drop $2,200 US on anything.

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

well you better return your RSW 15 because it only has a measly 650W power , not 1000W as they stated earlier when the sub came out , they changed all the power outputs of there subs go figure? for the money your spending on that sub, definative has a 10" sub that has more power than the 15"

Guest JimG

See the other thread regarding the change in our power ratings. Nothing was changed on the product, only the way we spec the power. The specs have an explanation on how the power is rated. With most power ratings getting out of hand, we're just trying to be as accurate as possible in explaining what our products are truly capable of doing.

You should take most power ratings with a grain of salt anyways since most manufacturers don't specify how the rating was acheived. In the case of the Definitive having more power than our 15, I'm not sure how anyone could know that without bench testing the two products side-by-side. They claim the amp is "1500 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D", yet give no parameters for how that 1500 watt number was achieved. What was the bandwidth used when tested? How much distortion at 1500 watts? Is 1500 watts a peak or continuous rating? Is the amp capable of 1500 watts on its own, but limited to less power once in the system? Can a single active 10" woofer really dissipate that much energy without cooking? Doesn't the SuperCube look remarkably like an LF-10? (Sorry about that little slam there. Wink.gif ) In the case of the Samson amp used by SVS, the 1000 watt number is a bridged 8 ohm power rating achieved at a bandwidth limited to 1kHz (which the SVS sub doesn't operate at). That amp is a professional model purchased off-the shelf and isn't spec'd by SVS at all in terms of an in-system power rating, either peak or continuous. Does the TV-12 DVC woofer present an 8 ohm load to the amp? Can the TV-12 take 1000 watts in system? How much power is the Samson amp capable of delivering under peak conditions? I'm not saying that either of these methods of rating power is wrong, or that either of these amplifiers is inferior to ours, just that you can't compare power specs from one to the other since none of them were rated in the same manner.

Sorry about all of this rambling. I guess I'm just a little defensive from the previous post.

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by klipguy:

well you better return your RSW 15 because it only has a measly 650W power , not 1000W as they stated earlier when the sub came out , they changed all the power outputs of there subs go figure? for the money your spending on that sub, definative has a 10" sub that has more power than the 15"

Klipsguy, even if the RSW-15 did just have 650 watts of power it wouldnt matter. As people have said counless times, just because something has less watts doesnt mean it's worse (although the SVS CS-ULTRA is much more powerful then the RSW-15 due to its sonotube design and great driver). PWK's speaker designs could run off of just 3 "measly" watts of power but would blow away some of today's stuff that uses over 100.

right on.

klipsguy apparently doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I have nothing agaisnt Def Tech, but comparing their 10" sub with the mighty RSW-15 is just plain stupid.

don't worry klipsguy, this bulletin board is there for you to learn all the tricks of the trade. just wish you were a little more humble and sponge-like in your learning, instead of talking out of your hindmost quarters...

:-)

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

"definative has a 10" sub that has more power than the 15" "

More amplifier power in no way tells anyone it has more output at any given frequency.And output is the real measure of speaker(subwoofer)true power.

Wattage is bull if the driver(speaker)design does not transform the watts in dB's well.

End of story

For example take your Definitive 10" sub with all the wattage it has and pit it against a Whise 616 driven by only 10 measly watts.The definitive will be left in the dust,even the largest Def.Tech with an 18" driver and 500W RMS amp will bite dust.Subwoofer power is all in the output.How much power it can handle means little.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Holy crap, I have just been listening to my SVS-CS Ultra 2 subs and I gotta tell you that the bass is the tightest I've ever experienced. I can feel this bass like no other. The depth Charge scene in U-571 rips my floor boards up and knocks things off shelves on the floor above. Wife definately dosn't like that. Oh well, she'll have to learn to live with it. For all the Canadians interested in bringing these babies across the line... I absolutely recommend you pursue them. I paid $2,100 US with shipping which converted to just about $3,300 Canadian. I also paid $335.00 Canadian to UPS upon arrival. This puts them at about $800 more than my old RSW-15 with about twice the performance. I think I got the best deal and the most sub for the money. At about $1,400 more I could of had a Velodyne 18 but where do you stop. The SVS CS Ultras are fantastic subs that anyone and I mean anyone would be proud to own. Check them out whether you live in Canada or the good old US of A.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Congrats on your dual SVS CS-Ultras! cwm4.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TX-36P500X (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: (Still deciding)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I'm gonna take the plunge too. Just a matter of time.

I've heard nothing but great things about the SVS ultra package, thanks Rick for doing the ground work.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250