RSW15 to SVS-CS Ultra

Dafishguy

Go for it NOZ,

I have listened to my new Ultras for about 100 hours so far in the last 2 weeks, (I was on holidays) and I am amazed. I have watched about 70% movies and listened to 30% music and music videos and I can tell you that I have no more booming bass like I had with the RSW-15. As a matter of fact, that was the main reason I didn't like the 15, it was very boomy. I had to turn it down to level it out then there was no shaking when you wanted it the most. You were all correct when you said I would love the SVS subs. I love the performance of these subs. Very Very clean and tight. I haven't heard a million subs like theEars has but I know what I like and I really like the SVS subs . I have a perpetual smile on my face whenever I listen to music or watch movies on my system. I gotta say thanks to theEars for encouraging me to check these subs out... if it wasen't for his input, I probably wouldn't have taken the chance on ordering them. I'm sure glad I did. All you people who are hesitating because your not sure... make the commitment and purchase these subs as fast as you can. You to can have a perminent smile like me. cwm32.gifcwm12.gif

Take care all

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

• 4 weeks later...

hey, I agree that the SVS are a great sub, however, since you can get the Klipsh RSW-15 from a unautherized dealer for about 1200 dollars, pairing 2 of them I believe would outperform a pair of SVS. As we all know, the larger the driver, the more air the subwoofer will be able to displace, and more displacement, more spl! The total surface area for the 2 12 inch SVS subs would be 226.08 inches, while the klipsch would be 382.5. Plus, the klipsch would also be 650 watts RMS per channle rather than 500. I own an RSW-15 and I'm very happy with it, so I will naturaly be defensive, however I think it's a very good sub.

------------------

-Trevor

You're forgetting about a little thing called Hoffman's Iron law. Out of enclosure size, efficiency and extension you can pick any two and the third will be dicated to you. It will take more than two RSW15 subs to match a pair of SVS Ultras in the last octave.

The TV12 has a long enough throw to get its' Vd up in to the realm of most 15" drivers. And the larger enclosure means it doesn't sacrifice as much extension. My guess is it would take about 5 RSW15 subs to match a pair of Ultras at 20hz.

That guess was based on a 6dB increase from stacking two subs. And the 14-15dB difference from the Secrets of HiFi review between the RSW15 and Dual Ultras at 20hz (95-96 vs 110).

2 would get you to 101-102, 4 would get you to 107-108. Actually now that I think of it, you'd have to add 2 more not 1 more to get 3 more dB which means it would take 6 RSW15s to get you to 110-111dB in that test room (3500ft^3 something like 18feet from the subs).

You get 6dB boost from stacking two subs because as what I understood on several posts, you get 6dB increase on each additional sub. So the 6dB increase was attained not because there were two subs, but because you added another one. Assuming this is right, from 96dB to 110, it needs close to 3 additional subs. Four subs in all!!

First sub- 96dB

second 102

third 108

fourth 114

This message has been edited by bryan2 on 08-14-2002 at 10:49 AM

Sorry if I was unclear. By stacking 2 subs I meant stacking a second identical sub ontop of the original (or placing them as close as possible together) will gain you 6dB of output over the original. If you put them in different places in the room you likely won't get anywhere near a 6dB gain (plus you will likely get some nasty constructive and destructive interaction between the two).

You get 3dB for doubling the cone area and 3dB for doubling the amp power. To get a 6dB gain again, you need to double the current cone area again and double the current amp power again. So you need to go from 2 to 4 subs for another 6dB gain. You won't get a 6dB gain for every sub you add.

So going from 1 to 4 RWS15 subs gets you another 12dB at 20hz. To add another 6dB would take 8 of them, so going to 6 should get you the last 3dB needed to match a pair of Ultras at 20hz. And this all assumes you can get that many subs to couple perfectly. If they don't couple perfectly you won't get the full 6dB for each doubling of cone area and amp power.

This message has been edited by Dustin B on 08-14-2002 at 11:10 AM

Well above 30hz two RSW15s would be capable of essentially the same output as a pair of SVS Ultras. It's just in the last octave they can't keep up. And if you don't like the big tube look (although I think the SVS tubes are small and like the tube look, my Tempest stands 6' tall and 19" in diameter Smile.gif), well then the RSW has a decided advantage to you.

My only other hang up on the RSW series is I highly doubt the passive radiator has twice the excursion of the active 15" driver (and therefore twice the displacement ability) which could lead so some problems at high output around tuning. The rule of thumb is you want the passive radiators to have at least twice the displacement ability of the active drivers.