quandry here, it sounds the same

Hi guys the way my h/t is wired is HDMI from tv to cable box then another HDMI to output port on my avr and then using an optical toslink out of the cable box the avr to get audio .This is so I can watch tv and tunes @ the same time . I know most people just run 1 cord from cable box to an in HDMI port and call it a day and keep the 2 seperate. Now the optical went on the avr ,(it's not the cord) and I do not have a HDMI cord long enough to go the typical way so I went w/ plain RCA cords from again the cable box into the audio 2 of my avr. My question is I would think each time you go down the quality source ladder your sound should degregate somewhat.I have not heard any difference between any of my wireing versions. Iam just lucky or are the combo of the Yamaha RX-V665 and my Klipsch H/D #500 smalls so good that it works so well. Believe me of course I'd rather it sound better then worse but I'm just at a loss here or very fortunate. Oh and yes even w/ the RCAs I can go to a different source and the tv will still be on .I just happen to like watching a ballgame w/ tunes on at the same time or at least having the option to.