Right amp for the job?

mustang guy

OK, I'm going to add a couple of reflex subs (KPT-684's) to my shop for the back wall (60' from the front subs which are THT's). The THT's are being powered by Crown XLS-202, which provides 300 WPC max at the sub's impedance. What I am wondering is which amp would be best suited for the KPT-684's? They cannot dig nearly as low as the THT's (22HZ), as they are rated from 34HZ. I think they are actually more efficient than the THT's at 105db, and they are capable of substantially more max DB at 600 watts rms per driver which is 2400 total. The THT has 500 watt drivers which really choke in those horns at anything above say 200 watts each or 400 watts total.

What I am wondering is should I go ahead and get a big-*** amp that can crank the 1200 watts X 2 into 8 ohms, and should that amp also have DSP filters for cutting off below 35HZ? Keep in mind that I am keeping up with a room full of La Scalas which are pretty loud themselves.

This is a difficult decision because if I get the wrong thing, I'm out a bunch of money. Your thoughts?

What ever amp you get you need to have a filter to limit low frequency to the reflex subs at the frequency the cabinet unloads the driver, probably around 35 or 40Hz. Also, I always suggest getting all the power you can get. Low frequencies suck power.

Hope this helps.

What ever amp you get you need to have a filter to limit low frequency to the reflex subs at the frequency the cabinet unloads the driver, probably around 35 or 40Hz. Also, I always suggest getting all the power you can get. Low frequencies suck power.

Hope this helps.

I hear ya. I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I will look for a large amp with built in DSP and set the cutoff at about 35HZ. It will be interesting to hear what Audyssey does with these subs with the THT's.

Thanks for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

If you want decent power and DSP in one package for a not bad price, check out the Behringer iNuke 6000DSP, that should work for what you want. You can download the amp software from Behringer's site and get a feel for the interface without having to have an amp hooked up. ( it's pretty intuitive )

The iNuke 6000DSP is basically 2 bridged 3000's in one box, so it can only be operated in a stereo configuration ( or dual mono fed with a single signal ) as you can't bridge it to one channel.

Musician's Friend an others have coupons and sales on the amps quite frequently.

Cheaper yet and perfect for sub duty is the Behringer EP series. I believe they even have a dip swith on the back to cut things off at 30 Hz or 50 Hz. I've been running one in my IB wired for 2 Ohms for about 6 or 7 years with narry a hickup.