Hundereds and hundreds of tubes !!!

Bigal63

Got this whole bunch of tubes tonight at a yard sale, for $30 bucks !!!!!!

Now to start sorting through them. Can anyone tell me how to figure out whitch ones ar TV tubes, audio tube and such. There is a bunch new in boxes and most ar loose, lots of mil spec stuff. I already found a few that I can use. I might have to invest in a tube tester now LOL

Lots of tubes

You'll definitely need a tester as those are most likely 'pulls' and you don't want to plug any shorted tubes into your gear and weak tubes won't do you much good either. Off the top of my head the most common driver tubes in audio are 6DJ8, 12AU7, 12AX7, 6SN7. Power tubes to look for - 6L6, 6V6, EL84, EL34, 6550, 7189, 45, 2A3, 300b. Common Rectifiers - 5U4, 5R4, 5AR4. There are substitutes and military (JAN) tubes for most of these so you may want to look them up at sites like TubeWorld.com. Hope you find something you can use... Good luck!

Odd that someone with buckets of pulled tubes doesn't have a tube tester close by. As most testers are in cases, you may have walked right past it and didn't notice. If you hit enough yard sales, I'm sure you'll come across one eventually - just be sure to look inside those cases.

Congrats on the score. Yeh. A tube tester would be helpful indeed. Hopefully most will have the silk screened type labels and such surviving for easy identification.

Might be an easier way to ID tubes, but printing a catalog index from some online tube sellers could provide a list of audio tube types to watch out for.

• 3 weeks later...