ROTEL

rowooo

Finally going to be buying a new preamp. My old preamp, an Adcom GTP 600 still works flawless, but with the addition of my new turntable I need something with Phono inputs. My question is this.....I plan on going in to listen to a Rotel rc-995 tomorrow. I've heard great things about this preamp but was wondering if any of you have first hand knowledge of this piece to give me a head start....Any info would be appreciated. It's between the Rotel and the new Adcom GFP 710. I'd like to stay with the Adcom considering the rest of my components would all match, but I can get a great deal on the 995 if I like it....Thanks

There are many good add-on phono preamps from Acurus, Aragon, Parasound, and Creek, to name a few, you could use and keep your current preamp. I use an Aragon 47K, but could be happy with the others as well. The 47K is a great phono preamp and has enough gain for moving coil cartridges.

John

I'm not familiar with any of the brands suggested are they tube or ss ?

I have built both tube and ss preamps and I

much prefer the former (tube). Most tube designs have far, far better dynamic range headroom. On tests I had the tube preamp putting out 50V rms while the the ss was clippping at 8Vrms !

The SS sounds very clean but too dry & drab for my taste whereas the tube preamp sounds airy with a very deep and spacious stage. (Both have very accurate RIAA response.)

Any chance of seeing a copy of the Adcom

schematic ?

XXX

John, I decided to go with a Creek. The main deciding points were price and the fact that I love my current preamp. Also, with the money I saved from going with an external phono pre I purchased a new set of Transparent audio interconnects. I'll have everything hooked up and LP's spinning in approx. two weeks. I will let you all know how it goes. Can't WAIT! One more question....the turntable I got is an 1982 B@O and the rca's connectors are very corroded. What's the best way to get them looking and sounding great? Some kind of silver cleaner? Thanks.......

I didn't see a reply about the corroded phono pin connectors, so here's mine. IMO, cut them off and solder on some good, new ones. Or use an old (non-corroded of course) patch cable, cut off one end, open the B&O (if it is even possible) and replace the whole cord.