Memorial Day Weekend

Daddy Dee

We attended my sons High School graduation yesterday .One of the speakers spent a few minutes mentioning the freedoms we Americans have attained through the sacrifices of our military, It was very nice and very sobering

thanks for posting the pics

Mark

Here's some lesser-known info about Memorial Day. This is from MoveOn.org

KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks ...to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

Thanks to Abstrakt Goldsmith for this nugget of history that most of us never learned in school.
Photo: KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.<br /><br />Thanks to Abstrakt Goldsmith for this nugget of history that most of us never learned in school.

That was not meant to offend anyone, just to show a side of the history of the holiday I hadn't seen before. People who die in the service of their country deserve to be remembered, now and forever. I mentioned where I'd seen it in the interest of including all the facts. I know that site is not universally respected, but even unpopular sites or groups can sometimes have something interesting or informative to say.

It was news to me that Memorial Day started so long ago, since Remembrance Day in Canada started after the First World War, in 1919.

Remembrance Day takes place every year on November 11th, and is a relatively sombre occasion. I thought it was a good thing that the Memorial Day cartoons reminded people of the original meaning of the holiday, so that younger folks would be aware of the reason for the celebration, and not think it's just a day off to party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Taps is the American tune that recalls soldiers who fought and fell, while in Canada the song played at military funerals and on Remembrance Day is The Last Post. My father was in the Canadian Army, so I've heard it many times. Canadians without any military connections also know it. You can hear it here:

The Last Post: