Cornscala

Why does everyone keep calling these CornScalas? I mean, when was the last time someone actually built one using the stock drivers and horns?

I would probably be looking at something different other than the Atlas PD5-VH. I like the sound of the Radian drivers I'm using. They use an aluminum diaphragm and sound really nice.

Only woofers for these would be used K-33's or something with similar T/S parameters. I've had a few people tell me that Bob's cast woofer "sounds different" than the K-33. Has anyone seen the T/S numbers for Bob's driver? Bob?

For using different drivers and horns, something you have a little control over is helpful. I believe Al sells the best crossover for these.

Scroll down to find The CornScala-Wall crossover.

http://www.alkeng.com/ap_xo.html

I plan on using the Cornscala Style D components (2-way), albeit doubling up on the woofers.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Bob. He's the one marketing these various "non-original" driver combinations as various type of Cornscala. The OP's parts are consistent with a Style C. http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

personally, I'm glad that Bob has branched out the Cornscala into different variations.

Yeah, I agree.

I do think it's time to give them more appropriate names. If you're not using any Klipsch components then why use quasi-Klipsch naming conventions? I get at least two calls a week about these things and every conversation starts with, "I'm building some CornScalas and I was wondering if you sell crossovers for them?" The conversation then turns into a long drawn out thing where they have to explain to me what horns and drivers they're using and then I have to explain that they're building a custom design that requires a custom network. If they're using components that Bob sells I try to send them back to Bob, but sometimes they want something from me -- and when I start asking for cut sheets or curves with the driver they want to use on the horn they want to use, well, it usually goes downhill from there. That's why I like Al's crossover for these things -- it offers some flexibility. Some want the thing built with better parts, so I tell them to tell Al to build it with better parts. :) Also, not everyone is building with the components Bob sells. At any rate, "CornScala" doesn't really mean anything anymore. The closest anyone gets to a "CornScala" is when they use the Atlas PD5-VH. To someone like me, when asked to build a set of crossovers, it's just like any other speaker -- xyz components of various types in a big box.

Dean,

could you say more about what people say they are hearing with the Crites cast woofer?

I was thinking that, except for the cast frame, it was built to the same spec as the other one.

curious about that. have heard people say it takes a bit of work to get one in a LaScala dog house.

"it takes a bit of work to get one in a LaScala dog house."

It just needs a gouge (curved wood chisel) to remove a bit of wood at the sides where they meet the frame. I would never cut the frame (as some here have done).

Why does everyone keep calling these CornScalas? I mean, when was the last time someone actually built one using the stock drivers and horns?

I would probably be looking at something different other than the Atlas PD5-VH. I like the sound of the Radian drivers I'm using. They use an aluminum diaphragm and sound really nice.

Only woofers for these would be used K-33's or something with similar T/S parameters. I've had a few people tell me that Bob's cast woofer "sounds different" than the K-33. Has anyone seen the T/S numbers for Bob's driver? Bob?

For using different drivers and horns, something you have a little control over is helpful. I believe Al sells the best crossover for these.

Scroll down to find The CornScala-Wall crossover.

http://www.alkeng.com/ap_xo.html

Deano,:

Around 2005 (I think) I spoke to BEC about CW's and the nasty little K600 horn made to fit in the box. Mids would chew my pant legs off at volume. I had used better horns atop my CW's and a better sound (IMHO) was there. I spoke to JC about it as well. Bob built his "test box" and posted that the sound was more than just a test box. JC built the first CW type 6cf reflex bins so that a K400 would fit inside. He named them CornScala because they had the Scala top end and CW bass bin. What a bang for the buck it was!

In practice the "scala" part didn't last long because of the flexability that the deeper bin provided. The thing has evolved with different woofers, mid horns & drivers, tweeters, both 3-way and 2-way. But the bass bin volume and port size remains the same.

The name CornScala just stuck.

The CornScala DBB has that same flexability and evolution.

I have heard them with:

K400's, 511b's, K510's, small format wood Trax horns, large format wood Trax horns /W 30lb JBL drivers and the K402 horns.

But you are right. There is no Scala part of it to be found these days.

Hope you are well buddy,

tc

Dean,

could you say more about what people say they are hearing with the Crites cast woofer?

I was thinking that, except for the cast frame, it was built to the same spec as the other one.

curious about that. have heard people say it takes a bit of work to get one in a LaScala dog house.

Me too Dee. I haven't measured but I like what I hear from the cast woofer. (used in a reflex bin)

I've been told it "sounded different" and "not the same". When I asked the first guy what he meant by "sounded different", he said it was hard to describe but it didn't matter because he was okay with what he was hearing.

It makes sense that when you stiffen the mechanical aspects of the structure (Qms), that other aspects of the T/S parameters might change as well.

I've been told it "sounded different" and "not the same". When I asked the first guy what he meant by "sounded different", he said it was hard to describe but it didn't matter because he was okay with what he was hearing.

It makes sense that when you stiffen the mechanical aspects of the structure (Qms), that other aspects of the T/S parameters might change as well.

That does make sense......

tc

""""JC built the first CW type 6cf reflex bins so that a K400 would fit inside. He named them CornScala because they had the Scala top end and CW bass bin. What a bang for the buck it was!"""""

I miss that speaker.

jc

""""JC built the first CW type 6cf reflex bins so that a K400 would fit inside. He named them CornScala because they had the Scala top end and CW bass bin. What a bang for the buck it was!"""""

I miss that speaker.

jc

I am not completely sure who first used the term "Cornscala" but think I may have made that up. I know I used that term in this thread on Sept 24, 2004. I think I had just made it up when I posted that, but not sure.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/45759.aspx?PageIndex=2

I know that from the beginning, I always thought of the Cornscala as a "concept" rather than as a specific speaker. That is, midrange performance out of a large horn like the Lascala rather than the tiny horn of the Cornwall and bass exactly like a Cornwall.

Bob Crites

I'm quite certain I did not come up with that name. However back then we all were trying to find ways to combine the best of Klipsch heritage to satisfy your needs. I heard terms such as cornbelle... belleKorn....Corn K horn, and cornscala is a catchy phrase. I liked herescala too. I made one of those.

This thread remind me of the long project I did start in late 2004 the took me several months to complete. Here's a nice paper on it. Great memories.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1071530/cs4.pdf

Guest David H

I know that from the beginning, I always thought of the Cornscala as a "concept" rather than as a specific speaker. That is, midrange performance out of a large horn like the Lascala rather than the tiny horn of the Cornwall and bass exactly like a Cornwall.

Cornscala is a bit more catchy than "Test Box". [H]

Although "Test Box DBB" has a nice ring to it.

Dave

I miss that speaker.

jc

Well he!!'s-bell's.......I am wrong on both the date and where the name came from.

tc