Cornscala

Tc......

U and I were using that word cornscala before I ever started the project. The concept back then was on alot of people minds here to get those mids with the slam of the cornwall bass. Too long ago to know where I first heard it. Heck.....i could have heard it from Bob when talking on the phone to him. I had way too many crazy speaker ideas in my head back then.

Right in there with "the voice of the corn". Colter may have said that phrase first......

Bob's original naming convention made sense in the context of what he was doing.

I suggest adopting a different convention for the multitude of newer designs.

15-2 for the two-ways,

15-3 for the three-ways,

215-2 and 215-3 for double 15 designs.

Similar convention for 12" variants.

Identify the woofer first, followed by the horn(s) and compression driver(s)

215-2; 2x Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF2 in 6 cu ft (net) Fb=35hz with Faital LTH142/HF140 at 600hz.

Driver Properties
Name: Kappa Pro-15LF-2
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: Eminence Speaker LLC
No. of Drivers = 2
Mounting = Standard
Wiring = Parallel
Fs = 35 Hz
Qms = 7.3
Vas = 198.8 liters
Cms = 0.191 mm/N
Mms = 108.3 g
Rms = 3.263 kg/s
Xmax = 6.7 mm
Xmech = 18 mm
P-Dia = 330.2 mm
Sd = 856.3 sq.cm
P-Vd = 0.574 liters
Qes = 0.32
Re = 6.5 ohms
Le = 1.4 mH
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 22 Tm
Pe = 600 watts
Qts = 0.307
no = 2.568 %
1-W SPL = 96.24 dB
2.83-V SPL = 97.15 dB
-----------------------------------------
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box w/ Active HP Filter
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
Vb = 6 cu.ft
Fb = 35 Hz
QL = 6.21
F3 = 35.15 Hz

Fill = none
No. of Vents = 2
Vent shape = rectangle
Vent ends = two flush
Hv = 10.87 in
Wv = 2.5 in
Lv = 15.92 in
-----------------------------------------
Active 12 dB/oct. HP Filter
Fx = 35 Hz
Qx = 2

The above box is -3dB at 35hz when used with the appropriate 35hz high-pass filter, and 104dB/2.83V/1M midband.

faital%20pro%20hf140-freq.gif

Hey thaddeussmith, once you finish 'em and start listening to your Cornscalas (or whatever you finally call them) - I need to see you change your avatar from a frowny to a big smiley - trust me, it will come naturally!..............................................From a current Cornscala owner.

totalcomfort,

interesting configuration. i'm assuming that the bass bin has the prescribed interior volume, but looks slimmer than i'd expect.

wondering how you made the woofer grill. looks pretty slick. Also, the uprights holding up the HF unit, could you say more about that?

totalcomfort,

interesting configuration. i'm assuming that the bass bin has the prescribed interior volume, but looks slimmer than i'd expect.

wondering how you made the woofer grill. looks pretty slick. Also, the uprights holding up the HF unit, could you say more about that?

Yes the bass bin is the correct volume. I just increased the width and depth to make it a little shorter so I could use the stands.The woofer grill is a wood ring with some Parts Express grill cloth stapled to the back.

The uprights are copper tubing covering the all thread that is holding them together.Used some good copper cleaner on them and they have a nice shine to them.

The uprights are copper tubing covering the all thread that is holding them together.Used some good copper cleaner on them and they have a nice shine to them.

Nice Did you spray them with some clear acrylic to keep them from tarnishing? We did that at work on some steel conduit, after going over the pieces with medium grit sandpaper. Gave them a nice brushed stainless look.

Bruce

• 1 month later...