Scored some Quartets

ajoker2c

I know that your asking price is a good one. I was making fun at the "walk out the door" comment you made, a speaker with legs.

I woulda walked them to the greyhound bus terminal and put them on a bus to Buffalo for the same price! [:P]

And grabbed a return ticket for that academy !....

Heresy ii's sold and Ti diaphrams for the Quartets ordered! I'm definately loving the fuller sound of these over the H2's.

I guess I'll start doing my homework and figure out if getting the crossovers redone by BEC or buy new ones from him is the better option from both performance vs cost.

I did a lot of reading and seem to remember that replacing the mid horn diaphragms is a big step up too.

Any info or experience on that would be most welcome.

Thanks guys!

INMHO replacing the original squawker diaphragm with titanium, is as much as an improvement if not more so than the tweeter titanium replacement. I own a pair of 1992 forte II. I replaced the original crossovers with Bob C's replacement. Better wiring, caps and auto transformer than original, to me it sounds better than a recap that a buddy of mine did. I also got the titanium tweeter diaphragm from Bob as well. I replaced the original squawkers with NEW from Klipsch K53-TI drivers and diaphragms. The entire driver and diaphragm from Klipsch were only $5.00 more at the time than just the diaphrams themselves.

Not sure about your Quartets but here is the last step needed if changing out the squawkers to titanium on a forte II per Bob Crites:

I can provide a little technical information of using
the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the
trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green
is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We
see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic.
The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes
over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no
reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on
going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off.
So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a
crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full
output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

k53tiphen.jpg
At the End of the Day, I now own a speaker that I will NEVER part with. Some will say it is a bastardization or no longer Klipsch. Who cares! This is a subjective hobby, do what is right to YOUR ears. If you are ever in the NW suburbs of Chicago you are welcome to an audition.

Oh and CONGRADULATIONS on your new Quartets they are a great speaker!

John, thanks for some great info and direction. certainly food for thought as I progress slowly. I'll be updating this thread as I experience the new additions.

I'm curious to see what you do with your Quartets. I recently acquired a pair myself. I love how they sound. The previous owner upgraded the tweeters to Bob Crites. I'm interested in seeing what all you do and what kind of a difference you think it makes.