Hurricane Season-2013

CECAA850

• Moderators

Preps are a good thing. We need to do more in all regards

Very true, you find out quickly when without power for a few weeks what is important. #1 car full of fuel being on top of the list. imo

One handy thing if/when you leave is Contractor bags, the giant heavy ones. If your leaving you can cover many things with these including speakers. Even a Cornwall will fit, one from the bottom and one from the top with some duct tape seals pretty well. It would only be good if you loose or have a leak in the roof, it may help save some things, will do nothing for storm surge except contain some of the trash! [:(]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preps are a good thing. We need to do more in all regards

Very true, you find out quickly when without power for a few weeks what is important. #1 car full of fuel being on top of the list. imo

One handy thing if/when you leave is Contractor bags, the giant heavy ones. If your leaving you can cover many things with these including speakers. Even a Cornwall will fit, one from the bottom and one from the top with some duct tape seals pretty well. It would only be good if you loose or have a leak in the roof, it may help save some things, will do nothing for storm surge except contain some of the trash! Sad

Darn good idea. We have a few new 55 gallon ones on hand. There is no speaker here that cannot be put to bottom tied at top and top to bottom,taped.

Hope I do not need to do but, good idea.

Thanks

• Moderators

We have used the bags more than once, at least if the roof has damage (or disappears) and everything is still inside it has a chance of being dry. They are the 55 gallon size, I keep a box around just for hurricane season.

The box I have now is unopened from last year, with any luck I will have it for next year. [Y]

The house is nothing to look at but it did go through 140mph sustained wind with no damage, I don't build things pretty but they are strong. And we were just VERY lucky, after seeing the damage the surrounding neighbors had.

We have used the bags more than once, at least if the roof has damage (or disappears) and everything is still inside it has a chance of being dry. They are the 55 gallon size, I keep a box around just for hurricane season.

The box I have now is unopened from last year, with any luck I will have it for next year. Yes

The house is nothing to look at but it did go through 140mph sustained wind with no damage, I don't build things pretty but they are strong. And we were just VERY lucky, after seeing the damage the surrounding neighbors had.

Strong is nice alright.My dad was a popular contractor in Florida as he was not afraid to use plenty of nails. Built the house we lived in. Never quite completed as far as looks but, recall plenty of wind and rain and no damage. 140 mph is nothing to sneeze at. Good job!

Looks like we have our first TS of the season. That didn't take long.

We started with the rain last night around 9, a little lull at the moment. Looked at the link and got a good feel for TS Andrea 60 mph as of 7am.

Penney wants to go shopping [:^)]

• 1 month later...

Unremarkable, yet unmistakable low off Yucatan and headed our way. Hallelujah! Could man some rain. Rather doubt it will be much more, but nature doesn't always do the expected. Right now, it appears to be pushing significant rain through Alabama all the way to Lake Michigan...so probably worth watching.

However, at the moment it just looks like good news for Texas with any luck at all.

Dave

There appears to be a storm forming in the Atlantic, worth keeping an eye on it. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ There are a number of potentials forming up across the Africa, so it looks like in a week/ week and a half there is potential for the beginning of the main hurricane season. It might just be me, but it looks like they're tracking a bit more to the south than some years, which means a greater chance of making the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico. A couple of years ago they formed further north and were blocked by an air mass before they got anywhere near the U.S. east coast.

Due to work, I follow the weather closely. I've gave up on local news and even the weather channel, must be nice to have a job where you can be wrong 50% of the time and stay employed. For those of you with iOS devices check out hurricane track, or ihurricane pro. If your in hail and twister regions radarscope is an invaluable tool. You can even add an Allison house subscription to it or become part of the spotter network. If you learn a little bit about how Doppler works you can then put it in expert mode and watch all kinds of interesting weather phenomenon as it happens. living in north east Florida we tend to be protected from the hurricanes for the most part but still keep a watchful eye. I don't have storm shutters so I have added anchors to install plywood over the openings. It is all precut, pre drilled, and in the shed. Make sure your roof is in good shape, repair anything that can easily cause issues, or replace it if its that time, this is your first line of defense against the wind. Don't forget an extra gas can or even 2 once season starts. I run what's not used through the mower so it doesn't go bad. And refill the tanks as needed. extra propane is a must also. i a.ways keep 2 bottles on hand. one in the grill and a backup that get cycled. even without power the grill works, providing you remembered to pull it inside before the storm. We have a couple bags always packed ready for emergencies, including one for the animals ( extra food, money, water clothing, self defense items if inclined) All of our important paperwork has been scanned into the computer and is hosted on cloud storage. even if the home and the computer are gone i can still recover the documents. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, get a current copy of your insurance policy and make sure you are completely covered, and have enough coverage. Part A is the dwelling, part B is detached structures, many people are surprised when something happens and the detached garage or shed was excluded. Part C is the contents, make sure your home inventory does not exceed the coverage in case of a total loss. Pay attention to the perils section, see if it reads named storm vs named hurricane for the deductible and if possible try to have the deductible money along with emergency money on reserve. Check to see if its rcv or acv policy. if its acv your depreciation is non recoverable so they will not give you back full replacement cost. Beware of the policy exclusions, these are where they get out of paying out claims. And a final thought, you do not have to go out of your way to save your insurance company money when it comes to the contractor making the repairs to the house. They don't go out of their way t save you money on your premiums. It is their due diligence to make you whole again and not their decision which vendor you use. Use who you are most comfortable with their work and reputation and if their is a price discrepancy( read supplement) bring this to the attention of your adjustor before starting work. This is outlined in your policy.