Cleaning Vintage Receiver Faceplates

Its an Akai AA-1135. I imagine the windex with ammonia would be ok. I just got the receiver and thought about the wd40 since i use it for several other things and it cleans and shines! Its not a dirty receiver, just something I was pondering!

post-55909-13819855251692_thumb.jpg

You might PM mustangguy. He posted some pics of a pigs ear he turned into a silk purse not too long ago. It was in pretty bad shape when he started and looked fantastic once done. He used some cleaning methods I've not seen before but they were very effective.

Oh so, an Akai, be careful about wiping to hard with anything as, do not want to loosen any lettering,etc.

Looks good already. Even cleaning the pots for static noise, deoxit is recommended, not WD.

Does this have the mellow you were looking for?

There is a couple volume numbers missing off the face, probably got rubbed off with a cleaner. As for the mellow, Im sure there is better but until I decide what model Marantz to go with this Akai will serve me very well. It runs the La Scalas easily.

About 20 years ago I tried to clean the front panel a Denon receiver I picked up cheap at a yard sale. Note I said "tried". I used either Simple Green or Formula 409 (can't remember which) and sprayed the front panel, waited a minute and proceeded to wipe off all the dirt and grime. What I wasn't counting on was that I also wiped off all the lettering!! :>(

Lee

Magic Eraser

It cleaned up the gold finish of the Fisher 500 nicely and left all the lettering intact. I worked lightly and did the minimum amount of rubbing. I find it to be much more gentle than even a damp cloth. YMMV

Has anyone used wd-40 to clean the faceplate of their vintage receiver? Sounds like a good idea to me, just wondering what the thoughts are on that.

Be careful using WD40, you might rub-off the faceplate lettering.

• 6 years later...
On 6/6/2013 at 1:14 AM, Arkytype said:

About 20 years ago I tried to clean the front panel a Denon receiver I picked up cheap at a yard sale. Note I said "tried". I used either Simple Green or Formula 409 (can't remember which) and sprayed the front panel, waited a minute and proceeded to wipe off all the dirt and grime. What I wasn't counting on was that I also wiped off all the lettering!! :>(

Lee

I have a vintage Denon AVR-881 and just the faceplate was dirty and dusty with finger oils and dust and grime.  GREAT SOUND.  Bad Karma as it may sound, I used q-tips (for the recessed volume and select rotary encoders) and an old turkish towel and...KABOOM!...and the old thing looks better and still sounds great.  Has black face, none of the lettering was lost for me.

KABOOM seems a good way to clean faceplates.  Grant