kpt 484 subs

carlthess40

hi klipsch fans

I have 2 kpt-484 subs that I amp running in my 7.1 ht system

I am using a Yamaha P5000S for the subs, one of the subs has a bad driver.

the driver was bad when I got them in a deal with 4 kpt-100's

what I need to know, without killing my bank acc. I need to find a driver for it that will go lower on the bass with ut doing anything to the box.

I love how the one sounds now but do need some more low end with the other one. I think by doing this I will fill the lows in very nice.

the one that is working is very fast and clean, but just does not do the very lows that I want.

I would like to get the sub to hit down to 25 or 27 hz's . I don't understand all the info that they about free air and all that stuff. I have found a 18" driver from MCM electronics

part #'s

55-2964

55-2984

55-2994

I have this setup in a room that's 20' x 15' so I don't use all the power that the Yamaha has, but when needed its there. I don't think that I will over power any of these drivers.

also would a eq help me with the setup that I am trying to use, and if so witch one? I am using xlr's from my Sherwood HT . going from rca to a little box changing it over to xlr's for the Yamaha pro amp

thanks for any help you guys or girls can give me

It's a rattle sound . And it's from the cone not the box. I've taken it apart and all is well inside the box

If you put your hand on the driver and move it you can hear that the cone has a hollow sound to it

I can buy a new one from Klipsch for around 225 plus shipping or have it reconed

But here's the Specks

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40Hz - 1kHz(+-)4dB (-10dB @ 29Hz)

I really want something to go lower

• 5 weeks later...

Many Pro Theater subwoofers do not go as low as home subs. I'm not positive about the reason, but I suspect that producing clean loud sounds below 35-40 Hz in commercial-size auditoriums can be pretty technical/difficult and not usually worth it, so most cinema subs are designed with that in mind.

Your KPT-484s have a listed frequency range of 40-1000 HZ (+-4dB), which is higher on the top than any home sub. It's a very wide frequency range. The spec also shows -10dB @ 29 Hz, which indicates that they roll off pretty sharply below 40 Hz. Simply replacing the driver with a different model is unlikely to change the bass response as much as you'd like.

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-484

Other things being equal, I'd rather have a musical-sounding sub than a thump box that was peaky as some frequency. If you hear the rubbing, scratchy sound when pushing on the woofer, the voice coil is fried and it's entirely possible to have that speaker re-coned at a much lower cost than a new driver. Without changing the cabinet, you probably won't be able to get lower Fc (frequency cutoff) merely by changing woofers. Get the pair working, put them together for an additional bump in bass output, see how you like them. If not, sell to someone who would love them as a PA woofers and get yourself a THX sub setup. There is one for sale here amp and 2 cabinets for $1500 on the Garage Sale right now.

Thanks guys for the info.

Even with just one working it sounds great to me. And when two where working even better. I really like the fast sound that they have over the long boom boom that ht setups have . But I was hoping that I could use an eq to get some of the sound that I am lossing below the 40hz with the eq. I will get the other diver fixed or replaced and leave it as is.

I seen that ht setup with the two divers and amp for sale. Wish I had the cash. Would love to run it in my system.

Thanks for all your help

Carl

with eq, give them a bump around 30 then a very sharp cutoff at 20, see what that does to your bottom end. And don't cross them over too high, sure they'll play 1000 hz notes but it won't be pretty. Lose them well before 120 Hz.