Bi-Amping HK AVR 3600

jfg02

hello...it would only be possible to bi-amp the 3600 with a seperate amplifier from your pre outs then your speaker lead outs from your avr. worth the effort would all depend on what you biamp. it is always interesting to hear the difference. if you try use your 3600 to power your highs and get a strong power amp to push your lows. or if you have horns get a small tube amp to push them then use the avr for lows. using seperate crossovers or eq's would optomize the results

looking at your sig for your fronts i would search this forum for results on what amp runs best with your rf 82's. whatever you choose for them they would perform very well. i would look into an amp rather than biamping. a good amp will blend well with the rest of the hk channels. bi amping is used for theaters although a bit more in my experience in 2ch audio. hope i helped..good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Thank you for the fast answers and sorry for the late answers. Do you guys think that I would see a significant improvement if I would pre-amp with the AVR and amp my front speakers with an Emotiva XPA-200 ?

Many of us use an external 2,3,5, and 7 channel amp without bi-amping our Reference speakers. This is a very cost effective methyod to get more power to your speakers. I favor using systems with subwoofers to handle the bass work of the system. This does a couple of things, increase overhead in the amp/avr and allows the speakers to handle the midbass and higher frequencies which they do best. I have RF 7's and run them as small. Theorectically, this causes less motion and cone breakup since the speaker is not producing the full audio range and a good sub can go down to 20 Hz which most tower speakers cannot do or do as cleanly as a good sub. A sub converts your system into a 3 way system. How much of this is audible depends on your speakers, power, and how loud you listen. Another point is that electronic will last longer when they are not pushed as hard and produce less heat. At higher volumes with music and movies, the power split of Hi/LF is around 10%/90% or more going for driving LF. At around 300 Hz the power distribution is near 50/50.

Bi-amping is usually taken to mean that you use more than one amp channel to power a single speaker. This means that you separate the audio band into sections, usually with an active electronic crossover, so one amp is sending the bass signal to the woofer and another amp sends the treble signal to the tweeter (with a 2-way speaker). This has benefits in reducing distortion, and with the right crossover/processor, you might even be able to time-align the two drivers.

That's "true bi-amping". There's also "fool's bi-amping", which doesn't produce any of those benefits.

Sending the full-range signal to one pair of binding posts, and using the Zone 2 outputs to also send the full-range signal to the other pair of binding posts won't make any useful difference in the sound.

• 11 months later...

If you can control the level between the speakers drivers, then yes, bi amping the speakers will make a huge difference.

I just picked up a Harman Kardon avr 3600, so we will see if it is possible to control the power levels of the amplifiers, in a bi amp situation.

If so, then you can simply turn the midrange/tweeter levels down a little, so the woofers drive harder. This can compensate for 3 to 4 feet off the back wall speaker placement.