JBL Horn vs. k402

juniper8

Going to hear the K402 for the for first time today, a friend is letting me swap out his H9500, 475nd combo for the k402 k69 in his M9500 set up....another forum member is planning on coming ,should be very interesting.. I am really curious to see if this will even be a fight.... I hope so!!!!

Mark1101, I am glad that you asked that question. I thought Coytee had sent them to me months ago, I checked my pm's and I dont have them. If you or someone could pm them to me that would be great. If not we will just have to use mics, and his Dolby Lake processor. It should at least give us some idea?

What type of processor will used to do the testing? The settings were based on an EV dx-38, and will not be exactly the same if used on another processor. They should get you pretty close.

The K402 is a fussy critter and will take a little time to optimize. It sounds like you have some tools. You will need them.

I will try to find the settings and email them to you.

What type of processor will used to do the testing? The settings were based on an EV dx-38, and will not be exactly the same if used on another processor. They should get you pretty close.

The K402 is a fussy critter and will take a little time to optimize. It sounds like you have some tools. You will need them.

I will try to find the settings and email them to you.

It's a Dolby Lake processor, that does lots of crazy things, and from what I have read, it is a very nice tool. If you could pm the settings it would be great. THANKS

This Klipsch document has many setups using the KPT-402-HF. Perhaps it can help you program your processor:

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/CinemaSeriesBrochure.pdf?1349394949

Scroll down to active settings. Remember these speakers are behind the screen, which is why the horn is hotter.

Unfortunately, nothing in that brochure is even close to the home setup from Roy. Those won't work. These will work and are from Roy, but might not be the very latest. It's a lot of EQ and developed for an EV DX-38. In my Ashly processor I use only 4 EQs and get virtually the same result.

Question.......are these 402s/K69 brand new? If not, how were you using them (with passives)?

PEQ 5.6K, Q=6, gain +2

PEQ 3.7K, Q=8, gain -4

PEQ 9K, Q=20, gain -3

PEQ 1.56K, Q=2.8, gain -4

PEQ 2.6K, Q=6, gain +3

LOSLV 2.5K, slope =12, gain -2

LOSLV 5.4K, slope = 12, gain -12

HISLV 14.8K, slope = 12, gain +6

Crossover is anywhere from 400-800 depending on what other components are used. Delay depends on same.

Unfortunately, nothing in that brochure is even close to the home setup from Roy. Those won't work. These will work and are from Roy, but might not be the very latest. It's a lot of EQ and developed for an EV DX-38. In my Ashly processor I use only 4 EQs and get virtually the same result.

Question.......are these 402s/K69 brand new? If not, how were you using them (with passives)?

PEQ 5.6K, Q=6, gain +2

PEQ 3.7, Q=8, gain -4

PEQ 9K, Q=20, gain -3

PEQ 1.56, Q=2.8, gain -4

PEQ 2.6K, Q=6, gain +3

LOSLV 2.5K, slope =12, gain -2

LOSLV 5.4K, slope = 12, gain -12

HISLV 14.8K, slope = 12, gain +6

Crossover is anywhere from 400-800 depending on what other components are used. Delay depends on same.

That's awesome! I am setting up 402's with my 904 bins soon, and this info will help a great deal. Thanks....

Remember, those are the settings for a K69 driver on K402 horn for use at home with a Jubilee bass bin. It's a "start" to then take that assembly and insert it into another system. You are probably going to have to "play with it", figure out the best crossover point, determine delay settting, and probably adjust the EQ a little. So, still some work to be done.

I read the manual on the Dolby Lake processor. If he has the "big" one with all the I/O......that's a pretty cool machine. It should do the job just fine.

One note though. The EQ bandwith on that processor is enterred in octaves and not Q. Here is a link to convert the settings above in Q to octaves. The Ashly processors are the same and this converter works fine.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

Thanks guys for all the info!!! We only had a chance to listen to the klipsch combo for a little bit, and used the mics and the dolby processor to manufacture fairly flat curves. The Klipsch combo certainly shows promise... I would need a lot more time with the buttons, and next time I will use these settings to a T to see exactly where this combo sits with my ears, all of ours are different and that's what makes this hobby such an interesting pursuit. Cut throat heard them, maybe he will chime in? I 'am sure the k69 isnt a match for the 475nd, these are 2 very different animals and acclaimed designs, in very dissimilar price catagories. Thanks guys I truly appreciate it!!!

Thanks for the invite Pat!....It was a very impressive sounding system!.

....For those of you who don't know what we were listening to, I'll try to describe it. The system consisted of a pair of very Large JBL speakers with two woofers each (I'm guessing about 15 inches and sandwiched between was a smaller horn for the Mids and highs. Then he had a Massive Subwoofer (More on that later).He was driving these speakers with a massive solid state system...Bridged amps that put out over 2,0000 watts per channel. Definitely a different direction than this SET amp guy here.

The system sounded very good, lots of detail and dynamics. Then there was the Bass. I am not exaggerating here when I say that the house shook. Juniper can back me up on this...He was seriously worried about the foundation of the house and at one point a plate was knocked off the wall in the kitchen. I was actually starting to levitate off of my chair at one point and the thought of internal organ damage did cross my mind. I remarked that small animals in the neighborhood were probably being stunned, if not downright killed. The whole system made a pair of Klipschorns sound tiny and insignificant.

While the system was impressive,it will not be something that I will strive for in my own. Since I listen to small jazz combos in clubs such as the Dakota in downtown Minneapolis; I have never heard any of them put out sound like this either. I would imagine that ZZ top in your living room with all of their amps could approach this level of performance however.

Then we put the K402 in the system replacing the JBL horns. I liked what I heard, although very limited, as I had to leave early. Much more mid-range texture, I felt. Even though they had the stock drivers. Pat said that most replace them with TADs. I can see why people like them. They would not pass my wife's aesthetic tests however, even if the basement is mine.

After I got home, I turned on my tiny Khorns and it took me about a half hour to adjust to their tiny Transistor like radio sound.

It was great seeing you Cut-Throat. His system is pretty impressive. The funny thing is, with the bass is that it is far more laid back, then the first time I was there, pictures were falling off the wall, pots and pans falling and stuff 3 rooms away being disturbed. A gentlman who is writing and article about the midrange amps we heard on the K-402's, finally convinced him that it sounded unnatural. Crazy thing is those were all class d amps. The speakers in question are the pinnacle of JBL K2 line for studio work. I am pretty sure they sound much better than the consumer K2 line and are very rare. What always amazes about this system is that transiants in big orchestral pieces are handled easily, clearly with lots of separation, even with speed of instruments coming in, in massive numbers. Another thing is the horn sounds huge but isn't that big, I think it's the 4" phrams. Also there never seems to be any of those horn sounds that make you run to the volume control in fear of what you might hear. The weirdest thing is I can play a poor recording on my system and it sounds awful, on his system, it actually sounds pretty good? I still can't wrap my head around this....

While the system was impressive,it will not be something that I will strive for in my own. Since I listen to small jazz combos in clubs such as the Dakota in downtown Minneapolis; I have never heard any of them put out sound like this either. I would imagine that ZZ top in your living room with all of their amps could approach this level of performance however.

Are you a musician yourself? I know Minneapolis/St. Paul covers a large area, but do you happen to know Tim Lyles?

Bruce

Next time I get out I will get some pictures. I spoke with the designer of the subwoofer box. The cab is filled with 1 tc sounds lms 5400 with 2 18" tc sound passives. This was the builders first sub and one of his favorites. I' am supposed to pick up one of his newer boxes this weekend, that are void free BB and calls for 2 lms 5400's.

Next time I get out I will get some pictures. I spoke with the designer of the subwoofer box. The cab is filled with 1 tc sounds lms 5400 with 2 18" tc sound passives. This was the builders first sub and one of his favorites. I' am supposed to pick up one of his newer boxes this weekend, that are void free BB and calls for 2 lms 5400's.

That's a popular and potent combo for a sub. I've seen a few of those particular triangle builds, one with 2 drivers and 4 passives. I believe forum member MichaelHurd has one. Very nice sub! Pics would be awesome. What are the passives tuned to?

...Then we put the K402 in the system replacing the JBL horns. I liked what I heard, although very limited, as I had to leave early. Much more mid-range texture, I felt. Even though they had the stock drivers...I can see why people like them...After I got home, I turned on my tiny Khorns and it took me about a half hour to adjust to their tiny transistor-like radio sound.

:(

B)