LSIs: Fly or Shelve?

KauaiBass

Aloha

Plan is to either: 1) fly LSIs on rachet straps and eye-bolts or 2) make up some heavy shelves and mount them like that. There will be an 18" JBL powered sub for below 125Hz.

This is inside a 20'x20' wood frame garage w/ cement floor. Can't put LSIs on floor due to space constraints. Sub can be on floor though.

I know they'll sound better on shelves, but I'm also trying to minimize the amount of sound that leaks out of the building to prevent bothering the neighborhood.

Seems like though I'll lose some bass by flying them, the sub will cover that - and overall the sound energy will not come through the walls as much. Straps will suspend them from heavy rafters. Soundproofing using Green Glue may be in the cards, but not yet.

No one will ever be beneath them so although they'll be hung well, it's not like a public area or anything.

Any thoughts on this plan? Thanks for your comments!

There are a few things to consider here, but safety-wise, I have a very strong suggestion. During my time as a millwright, I had some training in rigging for lifting heavy objects, and La Scalas certainly are heavy objects.

When lifting anything, the equipment used must have safety margins. For general lifting or supporting, the rule is 6:1, meaning if the object to be lifted weighs 100 pounds, the equipment must be rated for at least 600 pound loads.

In the case of lifting objects that have humans onboard, or objects that will travel over or remain over areas where humans may pass, the rule is 10:1, so to lift or position a 100-pound object, the equipment must be rated for at least 1000 pound loads.

When towing something, you can get away with a lower safety margin, since if the tow rope or cable breaks, it won't always be a disaster, but when lifting something heavy, if it falls, there's always the possibility that someone can be hurt or killed, so please don't take any chances with lifting or supporting equipment. Check carefully to ensure that not only is its rating sufficient for the job, it should be in very good condition so that it still meets its rating. If the straps or any associated hardware are damaged or deteriorated, don't use them.

Public area or not, if anyone (including you) even might ever pass under your speakers, you should ensure you have the proper safety margins. Standard La Scalas weigh 125 pounds, and LSIs likely weigh a bit more, so 1500 lbs is the rating you're looking for. 1000 lbs will not be enough.

Sorry to beat you over the head with this, but it's an area where it's easy and sometimes tempting to compromise or take shortcuts, and it's really not worth it.

EDIT: It occurs to me that you may have some expertise in rigging, so please don't be offended if I seemed to be lecturing a beginner. I didn't want to seem like I know it all and you know nothing. I just wouldn't want anyone to be hurt because someone overlooked safety basics. It's easy to do.

I'd fly them upside down as high as practicable. Support them either on two U-channels or a sturdy reinforced plywood 'shelf', hung with all-thread that runs through the ceiling and is supported by a brace between two adjacent ceiling joists. LSI all-in-one cabinets weight is 155 pounds.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. And I appreciate the good safety info Islander. The only thing these would fall onto is my 1964 Volvo 1800, but if that happened I'd be pretty much devastated..

This is for a new space I'm moving into and after my post I went back and really evaluated the options, taking into consideration your comments. I realize there is the option to split things up and just fly the trapazoids. That would make life much easier/safer and I see there's just enough room for the bass horns on the concrete floor. This should minimize low frequencies from being transferred outside as well..

I've never run them that way, but hey, it's one of the advantages to the LSIs - so might as well use it. These are all-original 70's non-trim LSIs I rescued from a rummage sale a few years back, btw. Love the sound. Finally getting a good place to spread them out in. Again thanks for the help!

Great idea. Early on when customers could custom order LSI, I've seen them split with no handles, built inverted with logo plate turned over for flying, all types. If yours don't have rubber footies they have some great ones at Parts Express about 1 1/2 x 3/4 with metal washer inside. Keeps them from jumping around the room.