Klipsch Data from GL/Area51 and he credits others - Thanks MM

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good info!!

You might want to add another wood code to your list. Back in 1973 or so I purchased a pair of KB-WR Klipschorns. That's the Type-B (with collar) and the wood was unfinished walnut. After selling those, in 1979, I purchaed a pair of KB-RO, oiled rosewood which were made from Honduran (not Brazilian) veneer. At that time I think Brazil had an export ban on unfinished rosewood material.

After a year of almost weekly oiling due to the veneer drying out in splotches, I returned the Klipschorns to Hope and they turned them into the RL (rosewood laquer) model. Still have them and a matching Belle for center channel.

Lee

• 4 months later...

I don't have a picture of my Klipschorn label but the info from it is:

TOP SECTION - KB BLS-MAP HF, Serial HF 881 3865

BOTTOM SECTION - KB BLS-MAP LF, Serial LF 881 3868

My question is on the "BLS-MAP" info. I am assuming it is Birch Lacquer stained in Maple but I can not substantiate that anywhere. Can anyone provide additional information on this? Thanks in advance and I will try to get some pictures on here soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this!

My new (to me) Klipschorns (first pair since my wife died and I sold my original pair) are KB-WO h/f and 8640839, so now I know they're 1986 models produced someplace between September 29th and October 5th, which is (really weird twist of fate) the EXACT SAME TIME that I started my job with United Illuminating in New Haven, CT., my pension from which is what allowed me to buy this pair of KHorns.

Quick question, which I guess I'll post in another place on this forum just in the hopes that someone sees it...  I see that the change from the AK-4 to the AK-5 network was partly to address the "...improvement in low frequency response resulting from the addition of a horizontal wall seal to the top of the low frequency cabinet..."

Should I take this to mean that if I add a "pipe-insulation sealer" along the edges of the top of the low frequency cabinet to lock them to the wall that I will mess up the overall response of the KHorns using the AK-2 networks?  If it simply winds up with a bit of an emphasis in the low to mid bass relative to not using the pipe insulation, well, nothing succeeds like excess... any thoughts?

• 6 months later...

Thanks for this!

My new (to me) Klipschorns (first pair since my wife died and I sold my original pair) are KB-WO h/f and 8640839, so now I know they're 1986 models produced someplace between September 29th and October 5th, which is (really weird twist of fate) the EXACT SAME TIME that I started my job with United Illuminating in New Haven, CT., my pension from which is what allowed me to buy this pair of KHorns.

Quick question, which I guess I'll post in another place on this forum just in the hopes that someone sees it...  I see that the change from the AK-4 to the AK-5 network was partly to address the "...improvement in low frequency response resulting from the addition of a horizontal wall seal to the top of the low frequency cabinet..."

Should I take this to mean that if I add a "pipe-insulation sealer" along the edges of the top of the low frequency cabinet to lock them to the wall that I will mess up the overall response of the KHorns using the AK-2 networks?  If it simply winds up with a bit of an emphasis in the low to mid bass relative to not using the pipe insulation, well, nothing succeeds like excess... any thoughts?

Pipe insulation is cheap.  Inexpensive to try and if you like it, it's a success.  Worst case is you don't like it and are out a few dollars.

A lot of work went into that document. I used to get a call from him at Tech Support nearly every morning at 0800 sharp, which usually resulted in research in the archives or discussion with Jim Hunter or Trey Cannon. I know Groomy did a lot of research directly with Hope including a visit directly with the guys in the paint shop to learn the exact types of finishes and how they were applied. 

• Like 1